Sign in to follow this  
knewt

Welsh Open 2015

Les

Hope you all have a great comp in Wales and some good times with as little damage as possible. 

As some of you are aware I lost my brother a couple of weeks ago and his Funeral is tomorrow so I can't make this weekend. Which is a real bummer both ways.

Anyways I'll look forward to seeing the pics and leader board times. 

Have a good one guys and see some of you soon in the Winter comps.

isoaritfirst

Look forward to catching up soon Les.

Very sorry to hear about your brother. Hope you are all ok.

Mike

Gromit

Hi Guys,

I'm disappointed & sorry that I cant be with you all competing in & enjoying the Welsh Open, I hope you all have a 'Cracking' comp.

A further deterioration in my Son Tom's health over the past few days, following a hospital transfer back up to UCLH in London, has meant I cant be so far away from the hospital for 3 days.

My thanks to Kevin and to all persons who may have helped him with all of the organising, & I'm sure the smooth running of the event. I'm certain it will be a very successful Welsh Open 2015.

On Thursday evening I sent my apologies to Kevin regarding not being able to attend the comp. I also sent my apologies to Martin for not being able to attend the GBSRA meeting on Friday evening.

I'd appreciate some posts & more pics if possible please, on how the comp's going, thankyou guys, good luck to you all.

Regards,

Stu.

Edited by Gromit
  • Like 1

jwest532
1Joel West7446.82
2Simon Thornton7356.41
3Martin Newnham7311.00
4Inaki Elizondo7235.77
5Peter Gunning7200.50
6Greg Dakin7173.13
7Mark Treble7073.78
8Mike Evans7051.99
9Richard Bago7043.73
10Ronnie Lampe6921.82
11Graeme Mahoney6906.30
12Stefan Bertschi6869.59
13Jose luis Alvarez6856.97
14Daniel Schneider6821.54
15Kurt Planitzer6791.09
16Keith Wood6747.37
17Stefan Bernardy6730.23
18Frits Donker duyvis6699.36
19John Phillips6664.29
20Kevin Newton6637.66
21Fernando Moro6635.80
22Reto Blumer6624.33
23Stefan Fraundorfer6616.51
24Tony Livingstone6604.99
25Martin Drewett6594.82
26Lazaro Martinez6545.97
27Mark Abbotts6540.89
28Clayton Landells6535.08
29Jorge Medina6516.69
30Dave Rumble6458.93
31Andy Burgoyne6429.76
32Inigo Herrera6409.57
33John Treble6392.26
34Mike Shellim6381.40
35Erik Heijne6360.11
36Ewan Maxwell6337.35
37Paul Stubley6314.43
38Christian Schnepfleitner6243.45
39Alejandro Gil garcia6170.00
40Scott Ravenscroft6089.08
41Rick Ruijsink6088.77
42Jason Bioletti6041.86
43Marcelino Punal5983.84
44Ian Mason5943.73
45Jon Edoson5828.96
46Tony Robertson5687.49
47Frank Hulton5163.14
48Vic Eldridge3983.62
  • Like 2

Gromit

Thankyou Joel, much appreciated.

Wishing everyone the very best of luck and 'good air,' on this the third and final day of racing.

I look forward to hearing all about it,

Lots of pics & vid's too please.

Stu.

Edited by Gromit

mark_r

Wow, lots of very tightly bunched scores! Good luck all for the final day.

rumbey

Great comp again this year and flying on all 3 days!  Many thanks go to Kevin and Clayton for running the show and congratulations to the top 3 pilots who all flew superbly....a couple of masterclass flights was great to see.   The West country boys couldn't build on last years performances but we had a great time trying. 

• Like 2

Gromit

Congratulations and very well done Simon on your win, Joel on being runner up, and Peter on your third place. To have finished in these positions in a field of 48 pilots, flying 13 rounds over 3 days of racing is a truly 'Cracking' achievement.

Well done to everyone else on your placings.

I look forward to reading Kev's report and seeing all other posts & pics.

Stu.

Edited by Gromit
  • Like 1

oipigface

Great weekend. Kevin's control of the weather was almost as excellent as Simon's control of his plane.

• Like 1

Rocket Ronnie

What a fab weekend. 3 great days of competition. Thanks to both Kevin & Clayton another well run Welsh Open, I know it's not easy to make all the right calls, but you certainly did pull out all the right ones this weekend.

Big congratulations to Simon, Joel,& Peter, it was a pleasure to watch your run's.

really glad I took today off, two days on the Crest is a killer.

Ronnie

• Like 1

rumbey

What a fab weekend. 3 great days of competition. Thanks to both Kevin & Clayton another well run Welsh Open, I know it's not easy to make all the right calls, but you certainly did pull out all the right ones this weekend.

Big congratulations to Simon, Joel,& Peter, it was a pleasure to watch your run's.

really glad I took today off, two days on the Crest is a killer.

Ronnie

Yes getting to and from the far edge of the crest is a toughy, but it didn't seem to affect your flying Rocket as you were putting in some great runs!

isoaritfirst

Yes getting to and from the far edge of the crest is a toughy, but it didn't seem to affect your flying Rocket as you were putting in some great runs!

Who says its not a proper sport..

I'm sure I could have done that half marathon thingy yesterday and felt no more worn out than I do today.

mark_r

Sounds like a good comp was had by all. Congratulations Simon, really good going to chalk up another win in tight competition.

simon_t

Thanks for the congrats.  It was a tough contest (what Eurotour isn't?), particularly as after the first day I was 10% down on Joel, and we weren't expecting to fly Sunday due to weather.  But a fantastic Saturday and I crept back into contention.  The weather forecast improved, but put us back on the far end of the crest, where Joel's style had dominated on Friday, so I knew Sunday would be tough.  When Greg put in a 34 in the first round of the day against my 42, it seemed even tougher, and I knew I would have to fly my socks off in the remaining rounds.  A couple of good rounds and it was feeling better, until Pete Gunning, who was in the leading group, put in a 32.  I thought that was it for me...

But it was a great weekend, with phenominally hard work from Kev and Clayton in particular, and with Mark Treble's wonderful talking contest timer - thanks guys.  Thanks also to Rich Bago/T9, and MKS Servos for their continued support to the sport.  

Everybody was very good natured, and it was a classic Welsh Open, on World Championship class hills.  We all made some new friends, flying in Wales for the first time (hopefully they will be back next year).  Like others, I'm absolutely knackered - in fact the last few weekend's travelling (France, N Yorks, Wales, nearly 2500 miles in three weekends), has taken it's toll, and I have a nasty cold.  So some recuperation needed before Denmark.

Simon

• Like 6

Greg Dakin

Well what an absolutely fantastic 3 days of F3F racing! I haven't enjoyed a slope competition this much for years. Great location, company and flying. Lots of fun and debate at the GBSRA AGM (thanks Martin) and copious quantities of pudding lager, mixed grills and english breakfasts :-)

Many thanks to Knewt, Skip and Mark T for their Herculean efforts to run the show from the most remote parts of the SWSA's mountain range - yomping across the Crest once in a competition is tough, but to make the pilgrimage twice was cartilage crunching.... 

Lots of highs and lows for most pilots, a number of unfortunate casualties and a handful of world class flights when the air hotted up - plenty to take in and learn from.

Needless to say the podium pilots all flew immaculately; Peter with his smooth and accurate eclectic style, Joel's masterful compression reversal and Simon's unique turn technique which seems to generate maximum energy from any given air......

Masochistically, the highlight for me was watching Pete clock a 32.xx in the final round - brilliantly flown from start to finish and a real show stopper to close the proceedings......even though it demolished 3 days of solid racing effort in a single blow. Impactful to say the least :-)

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by Greg Dakin
  • Like 5

jwest532

Ditto to all the above, Kevin, Clayton, and Mark did a fantastic job, the hills as always were the best I have flown on and for once the conditions played ball for all 3 days.

I don't know whether it was just that it was a 3 day comp or because it was the Welsh and everyone knows it's the biggest UK comp of the year, but on the final day it felt like every pilot was marking the times of the people around them.  It was all good natured but you could have cut the tension with a knife :).

As for me, if I'm honest, I got lucky on the first day and carried that monkey on my back rather uncomfortably. In the end the better pilot won (well done mate).   

Can't wait for the Welsh Winter League :)

PS Pete, please take care of her (he knows what I mean!)

• Like 4

jay bee

Congratulations to Simon,Joel and Pete,it was a thrill to watch,along with all the other pilots.

Many thanks to Kev,Clayts and mark T for all their hard work.

Big thanks to Martin for the Friday night meeting.

Many,many thanks to Ronnie for the food over the three days.

I spent seven days at the Bwlch of which three days were on the Crest,one on Mickeys,two on the Wrecker

and one at John Treble's slope (which is incredible).

Great fun,

jay

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Just for the record I think there were very few slots of air during Sunday that had low thirties on them and with them falling into the capable hands of the leading pilots it certainly made for an eventful day. 

Their effect of collapsing the scoring lower down the field probably worked for me, (so I apologise for cursing Greg with his early 34) as Sunday was on the whole a bucket of fish and I felt lucky to hang onto my position through the day.

Classic Welsh though - three full days of racing - who would have thought that on Thursday night.

Clayton, Kev and Mark's timing gear making everything run seamlessly.

Cheers Guys.

• Like 1