ENDED - Stream NXT Group buy

Richard Swindells

Richard Swindells

Hi Everyone,

I am offering the opportunity for a Group-Buy on the Stream NXT. This is where I pass on ALL savings when ordering a bulk of models/items, so pilots can get the chance for dealer pricing and potentially save on delivery costs.

The gotcha is that you have to preorder & pay upfront. You are also responsible for arranging collection/delivery of the model once I receive them. ( I will not be re-boxing and sending out models, but am happy to take with me to any flying events I'm attending),   There is no deposit/refund after you have sent payment, if you want to back out of the order, it is your responsibility to find a new buyer.

On the rare occurrence that models are damaged in transit (Stream team use bullet proof boxes, I've never seen any damage on anything I've ordered from them), you will receive the same support as a distributer (i.e. claim of shipping insurance or possible discount of future items or possible replacement.) Effectively you are getting dealer prices for the models so have to accept the same hit as a distributer would for damaged "grey" imports

I will not be doing sales pitch for the model. If you don't understand how good these are, or how difficult they are to get hold of, then I'd prefer you don't hold up the queue for someone else.

We will need at least 3x orders (not including my own models) to make the buy.. if we don't get 3 people then I cannot go ahead. Deadline for the group-buy will be around the end of the month.

Delivery approx 6-8 weeks after the order is finalised

Hi Richard, so sorry to hear about your theft, what a way to end your holiday, truly horrible.

I'm up for an NXT, and I still owe you for that rubbery c.a. too, do we get to choose colour scheme/design etc?

Let me know payment details and I'll get right on it.

Thanks, Simon B

Richard Swindells

OK Great, That is 3 people already (others via PM, thanks!!)

I will give it a week or two more before moving ahead in case others want to join in.

I will double check, but I think the available designs are here : - http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/4/1/7/6/7/a7887651-168-Stream NXT.jpg

Pick the colours you want (obviously the black is the raw carbon on the images). Custom color shemes will take the model up to the full list price

Richard Swindells

Hi Alex, 

I am not sure how many (or if there are any) European distributors who have their hands on the NXT yet... so no idea of what the Euro retail price will be.

Richard - can you confirm what accessories come with the kits?   Throwing peg + horns...etc?    Just wondering how complete compared to say a snipe kit.

Richard Swindells

I'm not familiar with what comes with a snipe kit, but the NXT comes with all mounting bolts, elevator pylon, (rudder is slide-on and glue, no prep needed :) ),  trace for pull-spring, wire for making spring, servo hatch covers, hatch, all control horns, a very comfortable throwing blade, pushrods for ailerons.... I'm sure I've missed something off the list 

Personally I replace the pull-spring trace for the special kite-line I use (zero stretch and teflon coated, which gives a much more positive action)

The wire for spring is not suitable for the style of spring I make (180 degree bend) so I use my own for that.

Also the pushrods for the ailerons are an overkill, I use 1mm diameter wire instead.

Make your own lollypop ballast.

I use kapton tape for all gap seals

KST 08s all round. (The aileron servos go in the wing, you need an 8mm thick servo)

Edited by Richard Swindells

Hi Richard,

As a newcomer to this arm of the sport, is the NXT an overkill and likely to be a bottomless pit on repairs/replacements while I learn the techniques?

Should I aspire to such a model or consider something more robust?

On another point, I have used SD100 servos on my 2300 span electric thermal glider. Would they be adequate for the NXT? (I admit they are somewhat delicate if they are back-driven from the servo arm).

I am located quite close to MK. any chance of meeting up somewhere for a chat on the topic?

Edited by CTR

Richard Swindells

Hi CTR,

Sometimes asking recommendations for models will get you a different answer depending on who you ask.. If you have experience flying models with ailerons or have ever competed in any BARCS or BMFA soaring event, then my guess is that you are good enough to move straight to a 1.5m dlg rather than buying a libelle or elf (both which can provide fun, but offer at best about 25% of the performance of a 'proper' dlg and are relatively fragile.

In terms of which are the strongest and most durable f3k models, then you are looking at any of the solid core (milled rohacell) - full carbon options . The most obvious ones are the flitzbogen,  vibe, stream, NXT and snipe. The top end models are now significantly more durable and ridiculously strong compared with any of the budget ones available, they are built to be thrown by the hardest launchers so the strength of the airframe is vital. Personally the NXT was another step up for me, as all control surfaces have facing and spars molded in.. It has to be some special accident to damage them, and there is no flex and complete  torsional rigidity in all surfaces. My 2nd choice would be the vibe, similar style of manufacture and very positive feedback from some great pilots.

For servos in these models, sd100 is OK for rudder and elevator, but you need something stronger for the wings.. the bendy arms are a big issue. Kst X08 or hyperion ds09-scd are the obvious choice.  (I've been too badly burned by the original MKS ds65 issues to ever consider them again) I went with kst08 all-round on my NXT and was very happy.

I am happy to meet up.. I work in Newport Pagnell which is on the Northampton side of mk. Unfortunately I don't have much that I can demonstrate to you at the moment, as all my models and equipment were in my caravan that was stolen on the way back from the world champs.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply, well detailed. Sounds like I should invest the cash in an NXT!

I did find a phone number for Bowings last week and spoke to your wife I believe. (sorry to hear of your misfortune in France). Unfortunately I didn't record your number so tried looking for your contact details again today but as you know, your site is down for maintenance. Being new to this forum site, is it normal/safe to give phone numbers here?

Meeting up at N.P. is fine. How best to arrange?

Regards, Neil

Richard Swindells

OK Time to move forwards with this group buy.

I will send a PM to all interested parties today, with the initial cost and payment method(s). I will be ordering all models with the standard Carbo-line wing and requesting a target weight for the wings of approx 105 grams. All tails will be standard full carbon - colour design will be the standard scheme shown in  picture attached (ignore the top 2x wings). This matches the weights and configuration I flew in Croatia, which was exceptional in all conditions (including zero-wind)

You get to choose the colour only . Any other customisation will increase the price of your model to a standard retail price of £600 - (Just to cover myself, I cannot guarantee the colour we receive in the shipment will match your request)

If you want some servos for the model, I suggest kst x08 all round, please join the servo group buy if you want some at a reasonable price.

I plan to send the money over to Stream Team models on the evening of 23rd September. If I have not received your money by this time, I am afraid you miss out of the group buy. If anyone else wishes to join in, as long as I receive payment before 23rd then your model will be added to the order.

I am not ordering any additional models on top of this group buy, so there will not be any spare models for sale, if you do miss out.

Finally I do want to add, just to fully cover myself, there is absolutely no guarantee with this group buy. It is completely independent of BARCS. However if I run off to live in South America with all your money, I do promise to send a postcard :)

nxt.jpeg

Hi Richard,

Very good work to start this group buy for the (best current F3K model) NXT. I am unlikely to order a NXT at the moment but might change my mind before the 23rd. How much is the cost per NXT?

I have bought many items in foreign currency. I can recommend to use transfer wise website to send Euros/other foreign currencies. Transfer wise is much cheaper to send foreign currencies than any other alternative. I have FWD a link for zero fee transfer to your bowings email address. 

Richard Swindells

thanks alex... I am already a transferwise user :)

PM of payment details and cost.. if your payment is in either of those accounts by the time I make the transfer on the 23rd (evening) you will be in. 

Richard Swindells

To confirm, I have now received money from enough pilots to be sure this deal will go ahead. For the remainder of pilots who have not yet arranged the transfer please be sure to make the transfer by Wednesday night. 

Richard Swindells

Thank you everyone who has placed an order. It looks like we will have quite a few NXT pilots flying next year!

The group buy has now closed. I will update everyone with ETA in the next day or two

• 3 weeks later...
Richard Swindells

Latest news from the manufacturer, is that our group-buy order is on-track to be dispatched in mid-november.

There are a number of improvements over the prototype i was flying in Croatia. As I understand, new elevator-pylon, elevator molds, pre-routered servo-bays and enhancements in the manufacturing process.

For those still looking to get hold of the model, I have reserved space for 5 models (shipping end of jan) and another five for end of march. Please contact me ASAP  as the spaces fill out VERY quickly (jan slot already has 2 definite places filled and 2x provisional -once you pay you jump above the provisional people in the queue!)

Please, please ... I cannot refund money if you change your mind.. you are responsible for finding a new buyer. I want to avoid any chance of a misunderstanding on this issue.

Finally for questions and answers about the model itself, please ask on this forum (or RCGroups). I simply have zero free time at the moment and get a ton of email a day asking things that would be much better posted here for everyone to see and have a future reference.

• 4 weeks later...