Sign in to follow this  
friesian

DLG Noobie in Hertfordshire

friesian

Hi everyone,

I have been flying r/c for 15 years, and am now looking to scratch an itch that I have had for a long time......

I have built, flown and snapped my libelle and have decided to buy something a bit more serious. I am not looking to do any competitive flying, but would like some advice on whether I should look to buy a second hand model, or take the plunge and build my own. I do enjoy building, but am slightly daunted by what seem to be some very specific techniques......

Thanks in advice for any tips/advice/words of wisdom :)

mikef

Welcome to the Forum.

You want something a bit more serious so I'm guessing you are thinking of an F3K model even If you have no competition ambitions at the moment.

If you want high performance, building your own means composite construction and that is perhaps what you see as daunting.  Certainly a fully moulded model means tooling and that is a huge step.

Have a look at the Elf - it's ARTF and not too expensive - certainly a good option in terms of performance per money spent, and a step up from the Libelle.

The Elf type structure is relatively easy to build if you wanted to have a go - it's modern free-flight wing technology.

If you want the maximum performance, a full-size F3K is the answer.  I would avoid hollow-built wings, the solid core versions are much tougher.  The more you spend, the better they get to a large extent.

Second-hand is a good plan too.

There's a contest not far from you soon - you could come along and have a chat with some experienced people during the breaks - see the F3K and hand-launch section here.

friesian

Thanks Mike, I will see if I can get over there on the Sunday.....

I had looked at the Elf, but I think that I want to go for a full size with ailerons....

Once I am up to 10 posts, I will post a wanted ad in the forum and see what turns up..... otherwise, it is just deciding which model to go for.........?

pete beadle

Welcome to the Forum Friesian

There's a lot of sense and experience built into MikeF's suggestions as always

Personally though I would go for something "pre-owned" every time....

The only thing I think you should be wary of though, is the fact there are "fashions" in every branch of our hobby and without putting too fine a point on it, I'd imagine you're currently pretty much at the start of a steep learning curve(?) where you probably won't be able to squeeze the final 5% of performance out of your new, and much more expensive machine for quite a while yet

I'd therefore suggest NOT going for the current "dog's doodahs" model but to go instead for a well respected design, getting a bit old in the tooth perhaps that someone wants to move on from, and that you can buy at a more reasonable price.....

I currently swear by my Vladimir's Blaster 2 which has LOADS of performance in reserve for my capabilities

My opinion?, don't rush into your choice, stretch the "ten replies and choose" in your opening post and look for something with a respected name, well past "first scratch" syndrome and when you do get it, take it everywhere with you and practice, practice, practice....

Good luck

Pete

BARCS1702

mikef

Friesian,

It would be good to meet you but please note that this is a one day event scheduled for Saturday 26th.

It will only use the reserve date (Sunday) if the Saturday has to be cancelled due to a poor forecast.  If Sunday's weather is also too bad, that will be cancelled too.

friesian

Thanks for the reply Pete - we did actually meet many years ago - my flying buddy, Craig used to manage Moor models?

Mike, thanks for the clarification. I work Saturdays, so if the Sunday is the better day then I will be there, otherwise I will wait for the next one.