BMFA F3F Long Mynd League Contest 27th September

Martin_N

Thanks to all that made it along today. I had a lovely day. Shame that we couldn't manage the four rounds, especially as different decisions may have made it achievable. 

However a round zero seemed like the best plan to give the conditions time to build as the day warmed. 

We hadn't expected the sun to disappear behind several clouds just at the time it should have been driving the air through the valley, or that the predicted increase in wind speed through the middle of the day wouldn't materialise  

the 3 rounds plus the round zero we flew saw very consistent times with the same pilots recording times that varied little between each round  

I haven't looked at the recorded times to see who was winning as Andy has the info , but most likely it was Clayton with fastest time of the day and two other rounds  that would have been very well placed. all were nicely flown and the willow looked well suited to the very light conditions    

I flew the Shinto for its first outing and was very pleased with its tight fuss free cornering that allowed me to pull hard to keep a short course without any fear of stalling  

Gregs Fosa also looked fast in the light air  

i hope you all enjoyed your day in Shropshire, it would be nice to see you back one on the days with some decent wind speeds.  

mike

image.jpg

• Like 1

I Was quite surprised to see my time near the front each round!

The zero round was a good call especially as we were expecting the conditions to build.

Only after the fact does it smart a bit when I think 'what if...'

Glad I wasn't CD today, would have been tough!

Quite proud of my lil Willow2 

• Like 1

Many thanks to Mike and Andy on a fine effort - all the right decisions at all the right times. It was a real shame that we couldn't complete four rounds, but a great day out was had by all in the glorious weather.

I was really hoping for Skip to take the honours - it would have been a richly deserved victory. Never mind Clayt, another time, another place - and it all bodes well for Rugen!

Loved the build and finish of Mike's new Shinto, very attractive indeed. Mark's Alliaj also looked really good in the light conditions, as did the Willow 2. Very happy with the Fosa Space Lift in 3m/s - a bit cumbersome to handle at low speed, but remarkably efficient.

On to Eastbourne then.....

Cheers,

Greg 

• Like 2

Just got home. Feeling very warmed by the sun, and a bit short of flying. 

Thanks to Mike and Andy for their efforts. I thought the calls were all right. Pity the weather didn't play ball.

Horrible 5 1/4 hour journey home, and a great shame we couldn't complete a comp.  But as others have noted, the Long Mynd is a beautiful spot, and the sport flying, Alula and Shinto, was great fun.  The contest flying was suitably challenging, and I quite enjoy trying to get the best out of model in these conditions.  

Thanks Mike and Andy for manning the centre, and dealing with the tricky conditions, and commiserations to Clayton  due it not being a ranking event - you certainly got the Willow going well, and it will be interesting to see the 'results'.   Keep that good run going for Rügen!

Simon

Disappointing / frustrating for you all that you were unable to get a full comp in, particularly so for Clayton as it sounds like he was having a good day with his Willow 2, unlucky Skip.

From the pics it looks like a stunning day in stunning scenery, I hope you all enjoyed the day regardless.

Stu.

Excuse me for sloping off at the end, I was feeling a bit unwell. I stopped at Carlisle and emptied the entire contents of my stomach! Horrible.

We were close to getting a comp in, I'm glad we tried.

Skip was looking unbeatable today with the willow, awesome! Go on, give us the results Andy...

RankCompetitorScore
1Clayton Lansdells2939.37
2Mark Redsell2919.62
3Mike Evans2898.59
4Simon Thornton2813.44
5Peter Gunning2794.11
6Paul Stubley2778.61
7Andy Burgoyne2730.54
8Gregg Dakin2699.69
9Martin Newnham2629.69
10Mark Treble2567.33
11John Treble2467.13

The competition may not have completed    but I had a great day never the less ....its always a laugh being out withy the lads .......even moaning mertle

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Excuse me for sloping off at the end, I was feeling a bit unwell. I stopped at Carlisle and emptied the entire contents of my stomach! Horrible.

We were close to getting a comp in, I'm glad we tried.

Skip was looking unbeatable today with the willow, awesome! Go on, give us the results Andy...

Urgh -- wheres the dislike button..

Hope you are home safely Pete and feeling better today.

I had one of those magical half hours after you all had left. Thermalling around in the falling away lift and having to work the model back at one stage when it seemed that all the lift had gone.

But then back on the slope edge I got the

Shinto  buzzing along the course with consistent speed for several runs each of which were probably 40 - 50 runs each.

Speed was holding or building through each, but there was NO noticeable wind and every noise and creak of the model was audible in what was very smooth and somewhat eerily lifty conditions.

Interestingly I found flying a very flat 8 with horizontal open turns at each end and a click to opposite bank right in the centre made this consitency achiveable every leg.

Occasional kicks of elevator would add little bits of speed but couldn't be done every turn. I would estimate run times were around 50sec.

Horizontal EM was the way to go.. Dsing the very slight shear that had developed just a few mtrs out from the edge.

But as soon as any attempt to raise the nose for a corner was made the flight almost stopped. 

Shinto ... SHinto ....SHINTO!

Chuffed...

I took a  few bits of video with the intention of stitching them together on my Mac into a bit of a fun movie. Being new to Macs I dropped them off the camera (deleting them from the camera in the process as you do) into my photos and iMovie can't get them out.

Here is one straight off the camera into youtube. It's also on Vimeo if you prefer that.

I had a top day and will write some thoughts about the experience and pop it on my blog later today.

Thanks again Mike. Still can't believe I 'won'!! Chuffed!

I took a  few bits of video with the intention of stitching them together on my Mac into a bit of a fun movie. Being new to Macs I dropped them off the camera (deleting them from the camera in the process as you do) into my photos and iMovie can't get them out.

Here is one straight off the camera into youtube. It's also on Vimeo if you prefer that.

I had a top day and will write some thoughts about the experience and pop it on my blog later today.

Thanks again Mike. Still can't believe I 'won'!! Chuffed!

Nice one Clayt.  Great win

• Like 1

Clayton, can you not speed that up for Martin?

:D

I know he was doing his best to grab all the air time, but perhaps a few little tweeks from you would give him the lift he needs before travelling to Rugen.

( I have gregs number 9 bib, by the way - I'll bring it to Eastbourne)

Edited by isoaritfirst

( I have gregs number 9 bib, by the way - I'll bring it to Eastbourne)

Thanks Mike, I did wait around for a while then headed off, 5 hr journey home wasn't great.  

Ultimately a difficult day, but hats off to Mike, Andy and Paul for making every effort to run the comp and definitely the right call based on the facts available.  Sometimes it just doesn't play out the way you hope

you should be thanking us ...excellent practice for Rugen .......you just cant please some folks ...:huh:

Andy, I'll call you with my response I wish to stay a member of this forum :):mellow:

• Like 1