What's it mean?

pete beadle

Hi all

Just a one-off very, very quickie chaps.......

Can someone put me out of my misery, and tell me what the letters SAL stand for on the wing of the Radina/Highlight from Frankenmodellbau?

I don't speak German so it might be on the Frankenmodellbau homepage but I can't puzzle it out if it is........

Help?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Thanks Mike and Reggles

Sounds logical, I'll settle for that unless anyone else knows for certain sure.......

Thanks and regards

Pete

BARCS1702

its just incase you have  front arm :) ...... the Alula has always been discribed as a SAL iv always thought it was to differentiate a model thats Side Arm Launch, just a swing from the arm to a Discus Launch Model, which you use full body rotation

Thanks again fellas

Up 'til now I'd differentiated these gliders as HLG - Hand Launch Glider, and DLG - Discus Launch Glider, hence my puzzlement re: SAL

Hand launch gliders were a normal, but more powerful straight arm launch - like a dart or javelin, whereas Discus launch was rotating - like a discus!

You see my bafflement......

Anyway, as I said, I'll happily settle for Side Arm Launch

Ta muchly

Pete

BARCS1702

Despite the early wings having the "Highlight SAL" nomenclature, they were actually sold as the "Highlight Discus" in the UK.

John Shaw's Highlight Discus (bungee) launched straight through my (javelin style) hand launch glider, "Chuckie Bird" (a 60" Bird of Time), turning it to confetti before my first ever HLG competition. That was the catalyst for me getting into DLGing about 14 years ago. 

IIRC I subsequently had three Highlight Discus DLGs, and Dad had a few too.

Seeing the Highlight Discus and the Bird of Times at Ivinghoe Nostalgia day yesterday was very apt for me!  

:) 

Jef

My recollection is that SAL was the term used when this style of hand launch first started, as it progressed SAL and DLG both were used just as terms nothing different about the models . 

DLG model are now built much stronger than they used to be and it has become the standard term used.

Perhaps SAL now does have a place for models built with less torsinal strength..

Edited by isoaritfirst

Found some history and had another look at the Paul Naton movie.  Between the fuselage-held javelin launch and the fully developed Discus Launch we see today, there was a wing-tip-grip underarm-style upward throw but that had obvious problems because only smaller models could be used (1.5 m hits the ground!)  That developed into a side-arm style (SAL) with full-size models thrown nearer the horizontal and but with less than 360 degree rotation.  FInally into the full 360 degree near-flat launch that became known as the Discus launch.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307492

Richard Swindells

My recollection is that SAL was the term used when this style of hand launch first started, as it progressed SAL and DLG both were used just as terms nothing different about the models . 

DLG model are now built much stronger than they used to be and it has become the standard term used.

Perhaps SAL now does have a place for models built with less torsinal strength..

Again, in the UK and possibly the USA, some pilots might think of a SAL launch being one where you do not "spin around" to launch, just a gentle throw from the wing-tip. I interpret this to mean someone has taken a standard model, just glued in a peg, made the rudder hang below the boom and now markets the model for discus style launching.

However again, the European models that are still being produced use SAL in their name and really can take the hardest gorilla launchers (and in the case of the sal-peter, winning world championships in 2013)