Sign in to follow this  
Jef Ott

Old Warden

Jef Ott

Hi Guys.

This weekend is looking good for some freeflight at Old Warden.

Heard a rumour that there is a waterlogging problem precluding access to the site for the weekend though. Anyone know whether this rumour holds any water? (Sorry - awful pun).

Need to know asap really.

Jef

EDIT - Since have found the Facebook page for model flying at Old Warden... GOOD NEWS - It is on and weather looks great for Saturday!

Edited by Guest

Hi Jef,

If in doubt, phone the Museum shop..............

01767 627 288

Regards Ian

Jef Ott

Brilliant. THANK YOU Ian. 

EDIT - Actually this number isn't recognised but the facebook page is very convincing that the event is on.

Edited by Guest

Jef Ott

Simply the best day's freeflighting my Son, my Dad and I have ever known, last Saturday, 26th Sept.

Dad flew his recently electrified KeilKraft Competitor.

Deacon was up to its old tricks, and my insistence on stuffing it into a well marked thermal soon had my Son (Gary) and I climbing a tree. Loaned use of a big fishing pole and swaying of the upper branches were enough to dislodge the old Veron though. Repairs were really easy (spookily so, two pieces of blue tissue of the exact required dimensions fell out of the spares kit as I opened it up) and once the dope had dried in the glorious sunshine, the model was soon terrorising those brave enough to stand / sit near us. Eventually I stopped flying it, as the other models are less prone to wandering around at head height, weigh considerably less, and I am not sure if the model might hurt someone if they did get in its way.

Cherub flew brilliantly, must have had twenty flights, one of which it landed on the Deacon (to teach it a lesson?). The Cherub eventually found a Rubber Winder's tripod, on an otherwise great flight, and I now have to rebuild the starboard wing tip.

Lost my Bantam again, at the end of the day, due jointly to thermal and my not gauging the fuel properly. However, a phone call after 3 nights out, from a nice gentleman at Shuttleworth College, reassured me that the little Kalper .32 powered gem was safe and sound!  Only a short trip this time though, probably only a kilometre. Last time I lost this one, it went for a trip in the clouds and landed near Cardington, 5 miles west of Old Warden.

Never before have I used so much Model Technics D1000 in one day. I smelt great!

Thanks to Gary for taking the photos.

Jef

Dad, Cherub, Bantam and Competitor.jpg

Deacon.jpg

Effecting post tree repairs.jpg

Ready to go again.jpg

Edited by Guest
Graphics in wrong place
  • Like 2