Sign in to follow this  
Bernie Jones

Soaring Market December 2015

Bernie Jones

I keep being asked by so many people/customers if I will be going to the BARCs Soaring Market, that I think its best to put on the forum, Which has been confirmed to me by Graham James, To quote "I'm afraid the Soaring Market is no more. Lack of interest from traders (yourself excepted), falling attendance, other events in the local area, makes the event unviable. There was an EGM at Radioglide and it was voted to change the AGM date to coincide with RG in future."

So there will be no Soaring Market this year which given the interest I've had seems a great shame, but there we are moving on will hopefully see you soon at some other event

Bernie

(eSoaring Gadgets UK)

pete beadle

Hi Bernie

Thanks for posting this info

This really surprises me though

When I helped out supervising the Soaring Supermarket at Oadby virtually everyone I spoke to said that the Soaring Supermarket was the main reason they attended the AGM!

They said, without the Supermarket being there they "very probably" wouldn't bother to attend the AGM in person!

I could understand it if all the dealers present decided it just wasn't worth the petrol to attend considering how little they sold there, but I personally heard no such comments at Oadby, they SEEMED to me to be happy to display their wares to members so they could actually see their products "in the flesh" and buy them - some even had "Supermarket Specials" on their stands......

If indeed the Soaring Supermarket is no more, I fear the numbers attending the AGM itself will soon be declining also

Can we have a confirmation of this decision from a committee member please? and perhaps why we haven't heard about it until now....

Personally, I fear this is one decision too far from our "management"

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Austin

Although I was unable to attend as trade last year I find it hard to understand doing away with a proper AGM and having it on a field somewhere. Its just more dilution of BARCS. Having said that, numbers have been falling at the AGM and takings for the trade follows that so its a viscous circle. Its quite a task for a trader to get everything ready for that morning for very little earnings. I blame Hobbyking :) :unsure: ^_^

PeteMitchell

This idea was published in the BARCS Bullet in No2 earlier this year, and the reasons for the decision were explained fully.

I am not in a position on the committee to know all the ins and outs but I am pretty sure that there was no response to it at all.

Membership renewal at the door last year was very low compared to previous years, and I think overall attendance was also low.

As membership is up on previous years, with most people using the easier way to join or renew via the website, I suppose it's one more result of changing times.

Still sad to see the market go.:(

ceebee

I for one will not be hanging around for the AGM at next years Radioglide. After a days competition, I will be heading off for a shower and something to eat and drink. I will miss the winter gathering and catching up with old mates as well as the ability to see goods in the flesh. Strangely though, the vote to do away with the old style AGM was unanimous. (I saw little point in being the only NO vote).

Colin

Gary B

I feel that I ought to chime in as I have been a committee member (public relations) for almost two years and have attended every committee meeting in that time.

I could not attend the 2014 Soaring Market but I do know that Graham had a very poor response to trader invitations with some not even replying. 

With combined hire fees for the sports hall and the football club the market was running at a loss, I also understand that the leisure centre changed ownership and the fees were greatly increased, I'm sure Graham could expand.

I volunteered to investigate the facilities at Turweston airfield (Light Aircraft Association conference centre) and also a newly-refurbished building at Bicester airfield on the old technical site which has been taken over by Bicester Heritage. Chris Moynihan visited the Shuttleworth Collection to discuss hire of their meeting/wedding reception rooms. The upshot (from memory) was that Turweston and Old Warden were too expensive plus the room at Turweston was on the first floor (difficult for traders to carry goods up the stairs) and the Bicester Heritage building was too small for our needs.

The proposal and subsequent vote at Radioglide this year was to move the AGM date, my understanding is that the AGM would not be held on the Radioglide field but at a nearby indoor venue still to be arranged.

It is a shame that the Soaring Market 'buzz' declined, I felt it myself when I manned an F3J stand in 2013, very low interest level but I'm glad I tried at least.

I suggested holding the Soaring Market alongside the Large Model Association event at Gaydon Motor Heritage Centre, this year it is being held on 25th October. Traders might be tempted by the larger number of potential customers and it is centrally located on the M40. I've not investigated the possibility of this, it might be a non-starter for various reasons.

Hopefully it can be seen that quite a lot of effort goes on behind the scenes and it wouldn't be fair to say that the committee just gave up. I'm willing to contact any organisation but the bottom line is that someone has to arrange it all, which is not easy, mostly a thankless task and with the certain knowledge that somebody will moan about something not meeting their expectations!

Cheers

Gary   

• Like 1

Robin Sleight

As regards the Soaring Market & AGM, the Committee was facing a vicious circle.  The difficulty of getting traders was increasing year by year and as the number of traders fell off (in part due to the lesser attendance plus of course the impact of on-line shopping) so the Mart attendance decreased and, as it decreased further,the attraction to Traders got less.  Also of course a very limited number of Mart attendees actually stayed on after lunch for the AGM.  With the general fall in attendance (at the Mart & AGM) we were facing the prospect of virtually no traders and thus not getting an AGM quorum and of course with only about 10% of the membership attending the AGM, it was not necessarily a properly representative attendance.

Thus the radical thought of combining the AGM with Radioglide where (it was felt) we would get a larger attendance.  Although the EGM was indeed held on the field and was a pretty informal affair, the AGMs will use a proper format and facility - probably a function room at a local pub with the intent that it becomes a decent social evening and the AGM business is only a pre-curser to the social activity.  It will thus be different but (hopefully) for the attendees still every bit of a fun get together.

There will be a BARCS committee meeting at the end of this month (October 2015) so now is the time to input to this thread with any ideas on how to make the 2016 AGM evening more meaningful or even any alternative thoughts on the Soaring Mart bearing in mind that, to be attractive to traders, it has to be sure of a good attendance.

Robin 

pete beadle

Hi all

Many thanks to Gary and Robin for the further information they have provided regarding the thinking within the committee

Can I say. here and now, that I am NOT criticising this committee in any way, and who I believe do a superb job under difficult circumstances

What I am commenting on is the fact that the very existence of the Soaring Supermarket on AGM day was a draw to members who would otherwise not even consider attending in person

I further wish to make clear the fact that my original comments referred mainly to the "table sale" part of the Soaring Supermarket, not the attendance or otherwise of trade sellers

What I'm saying, effectively, is what could/should replace the Soaring Supermarket ?- could we perhaps have a member based Aerojumble instead?

Anything to add any additional incentive for members to attend the AGM in person

Our club Bring'nBuy is consistently the best attended meeting annually, the AGM the least - BARCS original idea, to combine the two (the AGM and the SS), was a stroke of pure genius because IMO anyway one does very definitely support the other in terms of attendance

I'm sure that attendances are dropping everywhere as we get deeper into the virtual world, so how can we lessen that negative effect in BARCS?

What I'm asking in essence is what can/should/would we replace the Soaring Supermarket with? - instead of just cancelling it - I'm sure any and all suggestions would be VERY welcome and appreciated

BTW my apologies for my post (#6 above) yesterday that I was unable to delete fully - it was badly worded and didn't convey what this posting (hopefully) does

Regards

Pete BARCS1702    

Scram

I'm with Pete on wanting to see the Soaring Market continue.  As a swap-meet that was gliding orientated, it was much better than a power club meet for gliderists.

As a "country member" in not the most affluent part of the country, there is no local bring-n-buy happening.  My local power club is too small etc.

I wonder if the Husbands Bosworth Gliding Centre could be a possible venue.  I know they now host a helicopter flying club and I have attended a BMFA - Club Chairman's conference there in the past, so they probably have the space.

pete beadle

Hi Jerry

Trouble is, in order for this to work we'd need the aerojumble/table sale/swapmeet to be wherever the AGM is going to be, or VERY close to it, so the incentive is there to go to both in the same day, and become complimentary to each other

Also, seeing as the members attending would be doing all their own setting up, lugging their boxes of gear to sell etc the actual organisation for or on the day would be reduced, even minimised, to providing directions/signage, tables and the lapel stickers (to show the sellers had paid their entry fees) and it would change the whole thing potentially from being a cost to BARCS to possibly a useful income stream

Local to me there are several church halls advertised as being available for low daily rates - what we need is something like that, not a leisure centre, hotel, pub or conference centre  - "provide the venue and they will come" - there are thirteen churches whose towers are within sight of the top of the Beacon - I wonder how many there are around the AGM venue? Worth a look d'you think?

Regards

Pete BARCS1702

• Like 3