Connectors

Parkspeed

Greeting gents, Multiplex wing looms seem to be the trend these days, do 9 pin serial plugs get used? I'm thinking of using them in my ASW wings to connect the surfaces and keep things tidy, any of you guys use them? 

Cheers Simon 

It doesn't really matter what you use as long as every time you plug it in, it connects and stays connected, until you unplug it. MPX plugs are compact and easy to install as long as you have minimal soldering skills. There is a continuing debate about whether it is best to secure plug or socket, both or neither to their respective components. I have recently taken to fixing one, and leaving the other on a fly lead. Both need their connections to be well potted with epoxy, and fly leads are best constructed with a few inches of heat shrink over the leads to make them more resistant to damage.

I was having trouble finding a source for the RS232 9-pin serial port plugs and sockets, and noticed that Maplins sell serial extension leads (they were on special a fortnight ago so £2.20 bought 1 off 2m lead including one plug and one socket). The wires already installed in these leads are (IMHO) not capable of carrying the loads a 4-servo wing will proffer. So when I do use the plugs and sockets I will need to strip them back to the bare bones first. The reason I want to use an RS232? The same as Pete - Calypso Contests. I have two wing centre panels and three fuselages, and I want to be able to use both wings on the third (electric) fuselage as one wing has a camera mount and the other doesn't.

There are many ways of skinning a cat however, and I really like the Deans 4-pin units sold by ElectricWingMan  https://www.electricwingman.com/deans-micro-plug-pair-red-polarised-4-pin-1242.aspx My Organic has one of these and a normal Futaba servo plug/socket. The 4-pin job just does the aileron connections and the Futaba connector joins directly to the single flap servo. 

Some of the plugs and sockets take a lot of insertion force, which can lead to jerking while disconnecting (which might cause secondary damage to wingskins etc.), the Deans Micro plugs require a sensible amount of tension to separate them.

On two-piece wings, I have used the 4 pin plugs when assembling scale slope models with one plug and socket in each of the wing half to fuselage joints.

Jef  

Edited by Guest

Guys, 

Thanks for the info, a wealth of experience on this site ;) Bob How Repaired my fuz ( top job ) after I went in at White Sheets a while ago :( I'm just waiting for the fuz back from the painters, serial plugs it is then, I'll have to root all wires to one point and install, browsing through flea bay there's a massive choice to choose from. 

Pete, it's blowing a gale this Wed up Ivinghoe, may see you there. 

Cheers Simon 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use the standard cheap HobbyKing crimping tool. Not the best but once you get used to it, it's fine. Supports both thick and thin servo wires