12th Mosquito 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

Tony Beckett

The Effingham Elf  starts the 12th Mosquito challenge of the year - see the 11th Mosquito 14 Day Duration Challenge for more details.

aatimes.thumb.jpg.59e8d2885208b3362d3ba7

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times in the form below. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013 and 2014 can be seen at http://www.f3k.uk

Edited by Tony Beckett

The Ferry Elf Club, spurred on by the Effingham 10min gauntlet, repaired to the Meadows with girded loins to fight the good fight and preserve the honour of the PMFC. The sun was shining the windspeed was 0-2mph and the drift was all over the place. I was flying Tony Hicksons most excellent XXLite and Shippo was sporting his usual blue Elf. ‘I am going to scout the car park’, he said and we both trundled over to find the first decent lift of the afternoon. At 4 minutes we were both only a little over launch height but the bubble developed nicely and at 7mins I ambled off to try to find the next ride. Alas, nothing doing and I was down for close to 9mins. Shippo, however, stopped with it for a respectable 12m 44s albeit with copious moaning about ‘my neck hurts and can you move the sun’?

Dave Shipton
Ferry Elf
12m 44s
9-0ct-2015 about 2.15pm

Looks like I picked the wrong day to do some chores.

I noticed how good the weather was as I crossed Sainsburys car park with my bags and list in hand. (Other large supermarket chains are available)

Well done Dave - I am envious of your time and the fact that you have the luxury of an agent to post it on your behalf...

The Effingham Elf is resting until another day!

Thanks Mike

It's good to be back, we have been out in the caravan so unable to join in for several weeks. You could always go shopping after the flying has finished, all a matter of priorities. We only have Ferry on Tue and Friday afternoons so in the lap of the gods for weather.

I have signed up now, so I can post myself in future.

Dave

Mike,

'Tis an unwritten rule at the PMFC that should a Challenge flight be witnessed by a fellow soarer, the witness writes it up. This avoids tongue in cheek exaggerations, dodgy half truths and allows the witness some literary consolation in leg pulling as he was there in the same air and got beaten up.....for me this happens a lot.

Regards Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Went out to Ferry for a while this afternoon, cold full overcast and gusty. All I could manage was a miserable 1 min 51 secs in the poor conditions, however it's a target to encourage you all to get out there. Sunday looks a nice day, but don't forget it,s going to get dark early.

Dave Shipton

1 min 51secs

Elf Mosquito

23-10-2015