fpljohn

Southern F3F Winter League 2015-16

isoaritfirst

I know this one , Wait,

sorry weight.

But also 

V Tail doesn't get stuck/struck in the grass.  Tee fits that category but tiss heavy.

Tee flies better as a V puts apposing rotational stresses into fuselage, attempt to sort this has resulted in an a design that has an upside down V. Pilot lands inverted.

Not very convenient and dead odd to watch.

X - heavier and gets struck on landing.

X tail and T tail models are nicer to fly but harder to live with.....V is a good compromise simple and light and nicely out of the way on landing.

• Like 1

Eamon

Thanks for that, all clear now :D

Parkspeed

Mr Treble, I'm not a frequent uploader, not sure how that happened, there's no heading named, Geeks on a slope,  ;) How's the Willow? Is it on the repair bench yet? bad luck in that respect. 

Cheers Simon 

satinet
Simon, excellent videos.

Is there a reason why all of the gliders are v tail?  I take it v tail is better for F3F?

Regards

Eamon

Vtail is considered to be faster because of lower drag.

There aren't actually many models designed specifically for f3f as they are mostly f3b or f3b/f3f cross over designs.

• Like 1

mtreble
12 hours ago, Gromit said:

I've never flown at the Long Man, I've only seen it as I've driven past, I think a visit is now long overdue. Talk of a loooong walk has however put fear into my unfit body :unsure::o, just how far & steep is it exactly ?

It's really not that bad stu - maybe about the same as walking up to Mickeys? The Crest is a much harder.

3 hours ago, Parkspeed said:

Mr Treble, I'm not a frequent uploader, not sure how that happened, there's no heading named, Geeks on a slope,  ;) How's the Willow? Is it on the repair bench yet? bad luck in that respect. 

Cheers Simon 

Willow is back in one piece - just needs a bit of tarting up and I need to do some battery testing before I fling it off again!

Alibabaj
8 hours ago, Buster46 said:

Simon, excellent videos.

Is there a reason why all of the gliders are v tail?  I take it v tail is better for F3F?

Regards

Eamon

Aerodynamically there's less form drag (Parasitic drag) with a V tail = faster

• Like 1

Pete Burgess

Let's try again!!!

Having successfully completed Round 1 it is now time for Round 2 of the Southern F3F Winter league.

It is due to be held on 13 December venue to be announced (by JP) (There is no reserve date for December)

So, if you want to take part, please book-in at http://www.eastsussexsa.co.uk/winter_league as usual.

Eamon

Is it acceptable to come and observe assist in the first instance?

Thank you

Eamon

howsboutdat

Just gotta watch out for pitbulls being used as lawn darts . Hey Simon parks! Lol

• Like 1

Pete Burgess
2 hours ago, Buster46 said:

Is it acceptable to come and observe assist in the first instance?

Thank you

Eamon

HI Eamon, yes do come, the slopes that we use are, after all, public space. But better still bring a model, you will learn so much more. F3F is not difficult to do, only difficult to do well! The F3F crowd are a friendly lot and someone will volunteer to help you

• Like 3

Eamon

Thanks Guys.  Don't have a model that could compete in F3F yet, but would like to see the setup and what is needed.  Will come along and see what I can learn :-)

Eamon

oipigface
5 hours ago, Buster46 said:

Thanks Guys.  Don't have a model that could compete in F3F yet, but would like to see the setup and what is needed.  Will come along and see what I can learn :-)

Eamon

You will learn a lot more if you take any old model (preferably disposable) and have a go, than you will by watching. Have you got a foamie, for instance? (Don't worry if it's not particularly fast.)

wookman

Hi Eamon.

If you are going take anything you have that is flyable in the expected conditions. As John says you will learn far more by flying. F3f seems to be mostly about technique, anticipating turns and flying a neat and tidy way. It does not make a particularly exciting spectator sport but it is awesome to fly. Go fly learn and enjoy. You will find everyone friendly and willing to help.

fpljohn

Eamon

If you do come have a go, even if its just for a bit.

We will be happy to help in any way, there will be no charge and I'm sure you will enjoy it more.

JP

howsboutdat

Jp my times were so poor last time can I have no charge ;)

lol

Eamon

Thanks guys, will see what I can dig out and bring, but I only have electric Hacks and 1 glider thats serviceable, which is RES, so not really suitable.

Want to come and see, as if it is as I suspect, will look to Santa to provide a nice model for flying :-)

fpljohn
57 minutes ago, howsboutdat said:

lol

Matt

double charge for you mate, your times are down to the your aerobatics

we all thought you where having too much fun :)

wookman

Hi Eamon.

If it will do straight and level and turn left and right it is F3f ready!

Charge it up and go for it.

howsboutdat

Ohhh I wish it was that easy John :))

f3fman
4 hours ago, howsboutdat said:

lol

It's an extra charge if you are getting longer flights   ;-)