Welsh F3F Winter League 2015/16

Skip

Hi folks.

It's time to get the winter woolies out of the closet, dry out the thermos and get prepared for some Welsh Winter League F3F goodness!!

We will be competing on the third Sunday of each month weather permitting (November to March).

It isn't necessary to officially enter although letting us know by Saturday night makes the preparation for the day a little easier and would be appreciated.

The winter leagues are a fantastic opportunity to give F3F a try and the uninitiated are encouraged and welcomed.

A reminder of the impending event will be sent out via the BARCS forum, GBSRA forum and the Yahoo F3F group followed by a weather call on the Saturday evening.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Bwlch!

Clayt and Andrzej.  SWSA

Below are the dates for the Welsh Winter League for this coming Winter. 

15th November
20th December
17th January
21st February
20th March

Woolybacks TBA (between xmas and new years)

See you there!! (Bring warm clothes)

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening gentlefolk!

Entry is now open for the 1st instalment of the Welsh Winter League for 2015/16 on Sunday 15th November 2015.

Send an email with your name, frequency, models and insurance number to claytonlandells(at)gmail(dot)com. This isn't compulsory and if you'd prefer to just turn up on the day that is fine, although you might find that the easiest place to slot you into the flying order is at the front of the queue!!

The Winter Leagues are an awesome place to try out F3F and see what all the fuss is about and there will be an abundance of help and support.

With the amount of daylight quite limited during winter, i’d like to meet for 9am and will let you know which of the Bwlch’s meeting points when I make the weather call.

I'll make a weather call on the Saturday evening for the Winter League to test if it is enough notice and to give us the best chance of completing the event.

See you at the Bwlch!!

Clayton Landells

The entry fee for the Welsh Winter League is £5 per event.

If it is your first try at F3F, I'll waive the fee!

My First two F3F events were flown with an X-it (Zagi) flying wing and I had a fantastic time whilst learning heaps.

So come along and have a go!

Bring a mate along too.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Skip said:

The entry fee for the Welsh Winter League is £5 per event.

If it is your first try at F3F, I'll waive the fee!

My First two F3F events were flown with an X-it (Zagi) flying wing and I had a fantastic time whilst learning heaps.

So come along and have a go!

Bring a mate along too.

100% great place to start, with plenty of people on hand to help.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎49‎:‎23, Martin_N said:

100% great place to start, with plenty of people on hand to help.

If Carlsberg ran F3F events they would be in winter on the Wrecker :)

• Like 4

The entry list so far.

Clayton Landells    2.4

Martin Newnham    2.4

Simon Thornton    2.4

John Treble    2.4

Joel West    2.4

Graeme Mahoney    2.4

Keith Wood    2.4

Dave Rumble    2.4

Mike Evans     2.4

I understand people are reluctant to commit due to the forecast, but any more for any more?

The forecast does look impressively poor!!

Edited by Skip
Added Mike

Sweet Mike.

If the forecast holds like it is at the moment (SW with possible showers) I am going to use Southerndown for the comp.

The chances of being CLAG free at the Bwlch are very slim with this forecast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skip said:

Sweet Mike.

If the forecast holds like it is at the moment (SW with possible showers) I am going to use Southerndown for the comp.

The chances of being CLAG free at the Bwlch are very slim with this forecast.

its a nice spot that

3 minutes ago, Sloper said:

its a nice spot that

Aye, it is!

This is where I mean, fir those that don't know.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B027'05.7%22N+3%C2%B037'04.3%22W/@51.4532367,-3.6140682,14.89z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x486e71dd9d004da1:0x6419e2d960729ce0?hl=en

Park on the grass area on the bend.

Edited by Skip
Added like to map

This isn't the 'call' as such, 

but the wind has decided to swing more Westerly than SW which makes Southerndown quite uncomfortable to fly. Technically it would still be legal, but for the safety of participants, planes and public I would be unwilling to hold it in those conditions on that slope. Smack on SW and we'd be there, it's a little fickle that slope.

There is a WSW facing cliff about 1500 metres south, but it is a sheer cliff and quite brittle. With these torrential downpours and strong winds leading up to Sunday, I'd be unwilling to put you in the dangerous position of launching and flying on the top of an unstable cliff.

There is a very low rocky beach edge near Sker House with a bowl facing WSW, but it is unflown and untested.

I'd like to have some input from you guys as to what your feelings are about coming to play.

I am going to be flying Sunday. I want to test the effect of a STRONG WSW on Southerndown.

I also want to test out access and competition potential of the other two sites so if there aren't enough people for a comp, I will check them out too.

Some company would be awesome.

Let me know what you think, especially if you were thinking of coming for the comp.

Hi Clayton

From my perspective (and I know it is a selfish one) I would prefer not to burn one of my few pass outs on a dodgy forecast on an un-known hill. That being said, we have always talked about finding lower hills in Wales when the Bwlch is clagged in so at some point we need to take the plunge, I'm just not sure that this weekend is it.  Of course I'm happy to go with the majority and am itching to fly if there a reasonable chance of getting a comp in.

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

Clayton,

.    I take it that the comp is off?

John

I think Clayts is making a final call later today.  Difficult weather call, although the rain forecast has improved slightly.  The worry is the wind might to be too strong for the potential coastal sites, which could lead to landing carnage even if the slope is flyable.  Mickey's looks to be clagged in.

Simon