Welsh F3F Winter League 2015/16

Skip

8 minutes ago, oipigface said:

How did you calculate the average speeds, Stefan? They a look a bit high to me.

probably km/hr

Stefan Bertschi

Dear all

Yes it's km/h - thanks Daniel for the proof of my calculations

@Mike: I could only take as Input what was available....

@All: I didn't bother about the discard so it's the Times and Averages for all 10 rounds.

Cheers

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LS8-18 said:

1000m / 33,33s = 30m/s

30m/s * 3,6 = 108km/h

The factor of 3,6 consists of 1h = 3600s and 1km = 1000m

I guess I misinterpreted them at first glance.

They are nonetheless underestimates of the true groundspeed of the plane because the actual distance flown is more than the nominal 1000m. There are at least three elements causing the underestimate. I) Bases are usually set conservatively at more than 100m apart. II) All pilots overfly the bases. III) Corners cannot be negotiated at zero radius. I'm reposting an attempt to estimate the size of the underestimate. I originally posted it in May. The only pilot for whom I have any evidence of the extent of overflying or the radius of turns is Joel, one of whose turns was elegantly photographed by Mike Shellim. My guess is that those pilots who usually fly some kind of EM turn fly greater distances than Joel, so that, for them a given time would translate into a faster speed. Underestimates can be substantial.

My original post is in a thread called 'How far? How fast?'

F3F speed.pdf

Stefan Bertschi

John out of an engineer (or mathematician) view you are absolutely right. But going down that road I see no chance to do calculate anything. 

The stats are purely to entertain and not to scientifically proofe that Martin got everybody last Sunday :-).

What we can also put on the plus side for my playing around: The goal is to fly a course of 1000m as fast as possible. Nobody is obliged to fly further :-)!!!

Merry Christmas

Big thanks to Clayton for organising yesterday's comp. Great days flying and it was nice to get out and fly after almost 2 months off the sticks. I think my first flight showed I hadn't been doing much flying :) .

It was certainly a tiring day for everyone either launching, buzzing or flying. 30 minute  break halfway through the day was very welcome.

Conditions were certainly ideal for F3F racing and right at the top end of the envelope. I had a flap servo go during one flight which made the remaining 4 legs interesting and landing with only one flap working.

There were a number of great flights but standout for me was, Graeme's 30.41, yes it was nice air but he had model grooving around each turn with accuracy and confidence. The switch from the pitbul to the Fosa was a good decision. Of course Simon's  27.xx was superb and as well flown as any I've seen at that speed.

Congrats also to Mike, again the fosa's are certainly looking good and would have loved to have had mine to test in the conditions we had yesterday. 

Thanks  again for a great day.

Martin

• Like 1

I hadn't realised you had had an off with the Fosa Martin.

Sorry to hear that - it is a great model it would have been good to see you flying one occasionally.

Corrected scores from yesterday - thanks Clayton.  

As it wasn't a round winning score the only effect is on my final points score, just narrowed that gap a little.

53 entered in Rd 6 was a 35..

1        Martin Newnham         GBR    8721.45    100.00
2        Simon Thornton           GBR    8589.69    98.49
3        Mike Evans                  GBR    8438.30    96.75
4        Graeme Mahoney        GBR    8125.40    93.17
5        Keith Wood                  GBR    7928.89    90.91
6       Tony Livingstone          GBR    7775.63    89.16
7        Les Wood                    GBR    6701.67    76.84
8        Andy Burgoyne            GBR    6665.05    76.42
9        Clayton Landells          GBR    1702.43    19.52

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

This Sunday is the next round of the Welsh Winter League.  Please email me directly your details for Sunday martinnewnham@btinternet.com 

I will make a weather call on Friday evening and if needed no later than 10am on Saturday if weather looks difficult to predict.

Thanks

Martin 

Current Entry List:

1) Graeme Mahoney

2) John Phillips

3) John Treble

4) Simon Thornton

5) Les wood

6) Martin Newnham

7) Joel West

8) Tony Livingstone 

9) Pete Burgess

10) Keith Wood

11) Mark Redsell

12) Dave Rumble

1 hour ago, Martin_N said:

Anymore names to add for Sunday? what to try and get a reasonable idea on numbers.

thx

Martin

Looks like an OK day on the current forecast.

27 minutes ago, simon_t said:

JP was talking last weekend that he was thinking of coming down on Saturday

Simon

Blimey that's news to me, we are meant to be travelling together on Sunday and on Saturday he said something about decorating :frantics:

2 minutes ago, Pete Burgess said:

Blimey that's news to me, we are meant to be travelling together on Sunday and on Saturday he said something about decorating :frantics:

He did also say something about not mentioning that to Pete... Ooops! :)

Simon

• Like 1