Sign in to follow this  
Martin_N

SlopeGlide 2015 31st October-1st November (Scotland)

Martin_N

Hi All,

Registration is now open for SlopeGlide 2015 to be run on the 31st October and 1st November in Scotland. Registration will close on Wednesday 28th October at 10pm.  Please follow the links to enter and view entry list.

Entry Form: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BIHhv00fnVFbN_9lNugyBUlAUV8FdrYTGYZ1oiNi-dM

Entry List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z4zC6K914QDX0Yhn0L1a7436O2cZEBLjw5d8LNYzK7c/edit#gid=1320299208 

Any required updates will be posted here.

Thanks

Martin

Skip

Bleedin work!

Maxscotland

Hi Martin 

I have tried to enter the comp via the link above but have not been successful as I can't see my name on the entry  list. Not sure what I've done as I have managed before. The only thing I can see is that I can only access the entry form via chrome browser. The Drive browser says that I can't access the document.

Any advice would be great, thanks Ewan.

George Young

i can see your name twice Ewan!

Maxscotland

Ahhhhh !!

I opened the entry list via chrome and can now see my name..... I think using Google Drive has fecked it up somewhere. Sorry Martin for any confusion.

Thanks George for pointing that out.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Martin_N

Np Ewan :) i have deleted both I mean one of your entries :)

Maxscotland

Many thanks Martin.

Look forward to seeing you all up here in sunny Scotland B)

George Young

Heads-up re Forth Bridge and A90- M90.

Competitors attending events in Scotland normally travel via the M6, M74, M73 and A9 and this would still be my recommend route. This avoids the Forth Road Bridge and A90/M90 and this will be important that weekend because on Saturday evening (Oct 31) from 8PM the Forth Road Bridge will be closed until 6AM the following Monday morning (2 Nov).

Travelling up the east side of the country (A90, M90) on Friday and Saturday (until 8PM) should be unaffected.

Up-to-date info here:-

https://www.forthroadbridge.org/

Thanks to Ewan for spotting this 

Peter G

I thought I would post an early update in case anyone is thinking about entering but not sure...

The forecast for Saturday (Glenrothes) shows some rain and flyable South/SSW wind, BBC rain in the morning clearing up 15mph, XC showing less chance of rain after lunch with 7 - 14mph winds. Sunday shows no rain and 15-25mph SW winds on XC, BBC not showing detail for Sunday at the moment but no rain forecast just now.

This would suggest flying both days on East Lomond which is an easy walk of around 15-20mins.

We currently have 12 entries which is slightly marginal for numbers so if anyone is doubtful, please shout up as it would be unfair on those travelling long distances if we had people not turning up.

Equally, if you are thinking about it based on the forecast or keen to avoid the walk up Bishop, we look to be OK on both fronts.

Martin_N

Registration is now closed, meet time and location will be posted on Friday evening.

thanks

Martin

Peter G

The forecast is still looking pretty good for the weekend although winds are now looking stronger on Saturday than Sunday and possibly tailing off on Sunday so I am going to say meet at East Lomond car park at 9am and we will try and get an early start.

I think everyone attending knows where that is but just in case its one of the maps here - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8-mD5cnEf9M.kZ63e4cucESo&usp=sharing

I look forward to seeing you in the morning.

• Like 3

Peter G

We got 10 rounds in on day 1 of Slopeglide, conditions were overcast to start with around 12ms wind from the SSW which is about ideal for East Lomond. Rain stopped play for around an hour after two rounds but we re-started in similar conditions until three quarters of the way through round 4 when clag started forming just in front of us reducing visibility. However, after a 28 minute break, we got re-started and it cleared to leave sunshine. Things started to get a little variable around round 5 or 6 but nothing too dramatic, maybe 4 seconds or so and we wrapped up after 10 rounds.

Preliminary results after day 1 are:

1 Mark Redsell   8895.15

2 Simon Thornton   8737.71

3 Martin Newnham   8674.78

4 Peter Gunning   8408.07

5 Mike McCracken   8220.28

6 George Young   8103.60

7 Mark Treble   7813.49

8 Ewan Maxwell   7631.21

9 John Treble   7597.94

10 David Watson   7253.38

11 Robert Carson   5722.42

12 Ian Stewart   3176.31

Low 40's was a good time and it was only Mark Redsell who dipped under by a fraction twice recording an FTD of 39.28 in round 10 (which was pretty damaging for most!)

The forecast is pretty good for tomorrow, maybe slightly less wind but we'll see. Meet time is the same 9am at East Lomond car park.

I look forward to seeing you there

• Like 7

George Young

It turned out a really great day. The afternoon let us see East Lomond at its best! 

Looking forward to more fun tomorrow.

• Like 3

Les

Have a good one guys.

• Like 1

jwest532

Sounds like a nice way to spend a Saturday. I had 10 * 4 year olds in the house for a Halloween themed birthday party.  I think it would be easier to demolish and rebuild than clean up!

Good luck for tomorrow

Joel

• Like 4

Gromit

Wishing you all a very enjoyable and successful Slopeglide day 2. Good luck to you all, I look forward to hearing all about it and seeing lots of pics please.

If at all possible, an update of how the comp is unfolding, at some time during today would be brilliant.

Stu.

Peter G

Today started out bright and sunny with a strong 12 - 14ms SW breeze so we headed up East Lomond again and got the first round underway by 10.20.

Mark Redsell started strongly with a 40.45 in round 11 showing strong intent, I was 2nd with a 42.96 and thats the closest I got to a round win all weekend. The low cloud forming in front of us started to build and blocked out the sun for a few rounds and put a bit of a dampener times at this stage but round 12 went to Simon with a 41.93, two seconds clear of Mike McCracken with a 43.85.

Round 13 saw Martin finding form and he took it with a 41.28 from Simon 42.73, Mark Treble had also found the measure of the hill and was 4th in the round. The wind had started to drop off a little at this point, dropping to a low by about round 16 of maybe 7 or 8ms before picking up again toeards the end of the comp. Round 14 was won by Mark Redsell with a 43.82 followed by Martin with a 44.61 and the next 4 pilots very closely grouped on 46's and 47's, its pretty remarkable how consistent the conditions were over the two days with only a small amount of variability creeping in to the last 4 rounds today when the sun was out again.

Round 15 was won by Mark Redsell with a 43.76 followed by Martin with a 44.61 and the next pilots on 45s and above. Its at this point it was becoming clear that Martin was on a bit of a charge and that the top 3 were consistently pumping better than everyone else, consistently gaining an advantage over the first 4 or 5 legs. There were no booming thermals as such, every run pretty much was defined by how well you climbed out and then managed the speed through the run, a classic EM hill and conditions. Over pulling the turns was costly (as I found most rounds by trying too hard to catch up) and it really was a bit of a masterclass from the top 3, any notion of home advantage I may have had before the comp, well an truly blown as these guys were flying fantatically. Round 16 was won by Mike McCracken (again) who was showing really good form with his FS4.3 followed by me with a 44.88.

Simon, flying the Shinto on day 2 (having flown FS4.3 day 1) took Round 17 with a 42.99 followed by me with a 43.26 having switched to the FS3 from my Jedi, just to see if it offered anything more in the lighter air, apparently it did. The wind had fully picked up again to 12ms or more by round 18 and this showed in the times with Mark Redsell winning on a 40.46 from Simon 41.13, Mark Treble 41.46 and Martin 41.51 (how close is that!) with George and myself on 43 and Ewan on 44.

Martin was really charging towards the finish with the only sub-40 of day 2 in round 19, a 39.83 followed by Simon on 40.90 and Mike McCracken on 41.02 with me on 43 and Ewan putting in another strong 44. The last round was also taken by Martin with near perfect EM on 40.62 from Mark R, Simon and Mike McCracken on 42's.

So another 10 rounds flown, we were finished on the hill by about 2.20pm which would allow those with long journeys a reasonable get away. I think we all felt we had flown enough as its pretty busy with 12 pilots. In the final analysis, Mark Redsell had won 10 rounds, Simon 5, Martin 3 and Mike McCracken 2. only Mark and Martin had managed to go sub-40 and it took some superb flying to do so, this was not a comp particularly effected by thermals, it was all about the pumps and energy management. Hats off to you guys!

So the final results were:

1 Mark Redsell   17596.27

2 Simon Thornton   17402.40

3 Martin Newnham   17371.08

4 Peter Gunning   16757.36

5 Mike McCracken   16515.21

6 Mark Treble   16047.16

7 George Young   15803.85

8 Ewan Maxwell   15433.71

9 John Treble   14945.07

10 David Watson   14511.66

11 Robert Carson   12971.70

12 Craig Maxwell   5498.45

13 Ian Stewart   3176.31

Very well done to the top 3, it was hard fought and very close!

So with 20 rounds over two days, I think we all had a good comp. East Lomond is our least quick hill so I was quite surprised to have Martin waxing lyrical about it! I suppose it demands a particular style and in that sense is quite technical, it pumps well and therefore rewards lots of ballast (on these two days anyway) and works better further out at the ends, close in does not reward you.

I would also like to say thanks to all who came and particularly those who travelled, numbers were marginal and the forecast wasn't brilliant (some of Simon's many weather stations were suggesting we wouldn't fly at all ;0)). But every national comp that has been scheduled in Scotland and had enough numbers to run ( a problem of late) has not only run but been pretty damn good, it would be good to see more you y'all in future!

• Like 6

campsieflyer

A great weekend of flying, a master class in flying from the top three pilots. Quiet obvious that a good pumping technique pays dividends! Thank again to Pete for organising a fantastic event. 

Dave

• Like 2

Martin_N

What a fantastic location and slope to fly, an amazingly technical hill to get the best times. Out of the slopes I have flown over the last few years, setting aside the challenge of Rügen this slope is right up there and would recommend anyone to go to Scotland and give it go. Not forgetting they have Bishops just round the corner :).

Peter and Mike did a top notch job of running the contest and everything flowed without issue even down to laying on the strong winds, something that has been lacking at many comps this year. Big thanks also to all the local pilots for helping Peter out, getting the course up the hill, setup and back down again. It was all pretty tiring with so many rounds but the bases were always maned without delay by the pilots.

THANK YOU Scotland for a great weekend.

Congratulations to Mark and some other bloke on a great result, awesome flying guys.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 4

Gromit

Huge congratulations to you Mark on winning Slopeglide 2015. Winning ten rounds out of the twenty flown is an excellent achievement.

Congratulations to Simon on being 'runner up, and to Martin on taking third. Well done to everyone else on your placings.

I'm delighted to hear that Slopeglide 2015 was a very enjoyable and resounding success. I look forward to seeing some pics.

Stu.

• Like 1