Whitesheet Radio Flying Club

Ribs

Martin Church
14 hours ago, g0ggg said:

Good afternoon at Whitesheet, nice wind strength but lacking lift, may be it was the crop-circle effect.

Neil

whitesheet.jpg

Nah mate it's often like that, very good on a good day tho.

So someone's been busy by the looks of that crop circle or was it Aliens :)

Scale fly-in at Whitesheet is ON tomorrow.

Come and see the crop circles, thermal circles and more at Whitesheet tomorrow, for the next scale meet at the downs - all welcome. The last event was attended by about 30 pilots and models - a great chance to meet some of the excellent scale builders and flyers from around the South West.

Message from Chris Williams can be found on the club website, here:

http://whitesheet.org.uk/2716-scale-meet-whitesheet-sunday-3rd-july/

Martin Church

Damn it didn't know the scale comp was on & Im on me hols at brean. Is there a calendar somewhere with dates etc for white sheet?

Martin

Hi  Martin,

If you are a member, you should have a snazzy A3 poster with lots of useful information, including all the competition and scale dates. Additionally, all the dates are on the new club website, at www.whitesheet.org.uk - for scale events look under the scale page:

http://whitesheet.org.uk/events-calendar-for-2016/

cheers,

Ribs

Martin Church

Cheers Ribs

Yeh am a member mate must have put that snazzy poster somewhere safe then. 

Martin

Martin Church
3 hours ago, Ribs said:

Here it is if you want to download it and print it again...

I was assuming it would have taken pride of place in your living room. ;-)

2016_Poster_final.pdf

My wife's very understanding but I don't think she's that understanding :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

A note from Joe, re this Sunday's comp:

Competition: This Sunday (July 24th)

This Sunday will see a scheduled competition at Whitesheet. I have heard from Joe that the weather is due to be ok (perhaps not as hot as earlier this week) and good for flying. He has asked me to invite you all along as always and to note that there may be a change to the scheduled competition (Slalom) to the postponed event – Nominated Manoeuvres.

Please arrive at the hill around 1000am for an 1100am start

All welcome - visitors and members alike. As with previous comps, there should be liquid formed prizes for the top placed pilots - which was all of us last time!

cheers,

Chris

WSRFC

Hi Chaps

I can confirm that tomorrows Whitesheet Competition ( Nominated Manoeuvres ) is ON! However, the weather conditions start quite light but are due to pick up by 1.00 pm.So change of meet time - please be on the hill at midday for a 1.00 pm start. 

We need at least 6 competitors to run the event. so dust off your gliders and come and join us. No need to be a member but please bring proof of Insurance. 

Prizes ( in a drinkable form) are up for grabs for the top three places and remember that whatever position you finish all points contribute to our end of year Tallis Trophy and prize of a Hacker Vagabond with all the goodies, kindly supplied by T9 Hobbysport.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Joe 

Whitesheet Aerobatics (Nominated manoeuvres) competition report

After a week of soaring temperatures and clear blue skies we found ourselves atop Whitesheet with cloud and squally showers. But hey, the wind was straight up the southwest bowl and Chris Lamming and I were joined by our very own team GIFCOF club members.

An Aerobatic schedule was handed around for pilots to choose any 6 manoeuvers from the list of 21.

Round 1

First up was Martin Drewett flying his F3F Tanga F3F Machine, for flying in F3F. First out of the box and Martin was showing us the way until he came to the reversal which didn’t go quiet to plan and his score reflected that. Much friendly banter ensued from his GIFCOF camp.

Next up was Tony Livingstone in full Aero 3D mode flying his reversible Raven. Tony flew with aplomb but team mate Martin pointed out that flying wings can only fly left/right. Up and down.

Then Chris Lamming was away with his Hacker Vagabond. Chris threw everything at it and made up a few of his own manoeuvers as part of a very unique schedule. Most impressed.

Last up was Joe Cubitt flying his 16 year old MPX ASW 17. What can I say!, all I remember was the judges saying “ the entry was good but not too sure on the exit. I think that’s a 5” and “ that’s more of a slow roll rather than a 4 pointer!”   Even more GIFCOF banter than you could shake a stick at.

Round 2

Sorry guys but it was pretty much the same although Martin nailed the reversal and Tony improved on the top hat rather than the Wizards one. Oh yes and Chris’s 3 turn spin was something that I truly had never seen before. I think Christophe and Benoit Paysant-Le roux would have been impressed.

After much number crunching and ‘K’ factor multiplication we have the final results

1st Joe Cubitt                222 points

2nd Martin Drewett     204.25 points

3rd Tony Livingstone   186.5 points

4th Chris Lamming       123.25points

Many thanks to all who entered, we certainly enjoyed ourselves. I don’t think Ive laughed so much for a long time.

And a special thank you goes to Graeme Mahoney for helping out with the judging.

Cheers guys

Joe

WSRFC Comp Sec

• Like 5

It's all about expressionism and interpretation of the manoeuvres to generate a new and fresh painting on the sky. If you can't see the beauty in my creative spirit, I can't help you.

I think one day, you will reflect on my unique style and realise the haste in your judgements.

Brilliant day Joe - comps and flying as it should be.

• 1 month later...

Weather permitting on Thursday 8th September we are invited to a joint slope day out with TVSF and MVSA. Afterwards there is an optional local pub meal. 

Check out the www.TVSF.co.uk front page the night before for chosen location.

attached the wind map 

Trev

Wind Rose slope day out T v W v M.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Advance Notification of the 2016 Whitesheet Radio Flying Club AGM Saturday 12th November - Dolphin Pub, Gillingham

Hello all,

This year's AGM will be held at the Dolphin Pub, Gillingham on Saturday 12th November - meeting at 2:00 pm with the aim of starting the meeting promptly at 2:30 p.m.

As usual, we will be laying on a free buffet and initial drink.

The aim at this year's meeting will be to get through the usual reports as swiftly as possible so we can spend more time discussing and voting on the matter of the changes to our rule book, that will allow electric assist for height gain at Whitesheet.

Members have all been contacted about this key proposal, but if for some reason this is news to you and you are a member of the club, please come along on Saturday to join in the discussion and share your views, before we take a vote. If you have any questions about the proposal, please get in touch with me and I will be happy to discuss the matter with you in person. My number is 07833 680723. 

Members can vote by proxy on the rule change - please send me your apology (if you can't make the meeting) and vote for or against the changes. The proposed handbook can be downloaded here

http://whitesheet.org.uk/proposed-new-whitesheet-radio-flying-club-handbook-rules-2017/

I hope to see some of you on Saturday and if you are not a member - why not come along and join!

cheers,

Chris Lamming

chair WSRFC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Martin Church

Popped up the Sheet this afternoon 10-20 bang on Morgan's & bitter cold. First trip out for me in  long time so flew my Sblitz 60" wing for the first flight. Then it was time to bite the bullet so I put a couple of slugs of lead in the Willow II & heaved it off. Eventually I was joined by the Warminster crew they no how to enjoy their self's there was an asw24 by fly fly a Fournier with no motor in it a few flying wings & a foamy k8 I think flying fpv style.

A great afternoon spent in good company.

• Like 1

I spoke to Chris Lamming earlier this week about the problem TVSF have mustering enough players for our 60" pylon racing event on the 12th February.
His view was that, like our club, there is waning interest (Hardly ever enough to run a comp). What I was looking for was 1 or 2 pilots to bolster the numbers and make it viable.

So if you have a 60" that needs exercising or just fancy a go just contact between now and the event. If enough interest was expressed we would attempt to hold the event somewhere between. Venue for prevailing direction is always chosen the prior day along with on or off decision.

If you would like to know more contact me or take a look at the TVSF.co.uk website where the forum has more details.

Trev
Mob: 07920584193

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 18:59, 00trev said:

I spoke to Chris Lamming earlier this week about the problem TVSF have mustering enough players for our 60" pylon racing event on the 12th February.
His view was that, like our club, there is waning interest (Hardly ever enough to run a comp). What I was looking for was 1 or 2 pilots to bolster the numbers and make it viable.

By way of clarification, since I'm being quoted here:

Whitesheet Radio Flying Club scheduled 4 competitions in 2016. Only two were run, due both to poor attendance and also to weather issues - such is the slope soarer's lot. We had made every effort to increase numbers, by offering prizes both for the individual competitions (wine) and for the best placed competitor over the season (Hacker Vagabond and Tallis Trophy). The events were well advertised on the website and on the posters that all members received.

The matter was discussed at the AGM and opinions from WSRFC members were canvassed over the year through various mailshots. The message coming through was that competitions were not of great interest to a large number of our members.

Interest in the club and in flying at Whitesheet however, remains strong as ever and membership grew significantly in 2016 from the previous season. I am really pleased with the way the club is moving forward, but it is a changing scene from the old days, with members widely spread geographically and with equally wide spread of flying interests: from large scale to F3f racers to Saturday morning foamies.

The committee have taken on board the views of the members and in 2017 we are running social fly-in events, that will be open to all, with no particular competition planned. These will be held on the second Sunday throughout the summer, May to September, with the final event hopefully being a flat-field fly-in and barbeque, open to all. The only exception to this will be the English Open F3f tournament, to be held over the August 19th and 20th weekend.

Details for all these events will be published here on BARCS and on the club website as soon as we have things sorted.

In the meantime, if TVSF or any other club wishes to collaborate with WSRFC to organise a competition, where a good number of fliers can be gathered to make a workable event, then I will give whatever help and support I can to promote it and, provided there is no clash with our calendar, work with the organiser to offer the Whitesheet Slopes as a venue. I would ask that any such organisers please contact the committee (as Trevor has) to ensure that we balance slope closures for events with the needs of our members to access and sport-fly at Whitesheet downs.

best regards,

Chris Lamming

Chairman, WSRFC

• Like 1

Chris,

Thanks for your support.

We were only looking for a couple to make the numbers viable... and the 2 or 3 are probably those who miss the thrills of man-on-man racing cos their local club can't muster enough.

Our CD (in this case Graham Stallard) will  always manage to the needs of non-comp flyers by use of pegboard and working together with space and time.
I would say that its very unlikely the venue would be as far south as White Sheet so the problem for WS Locals is unlikely to arise. 

Thanks again

Trev