Whitesheet Radio Flying Club

Ribs

Hello all,

Advance Notification of the Whitesheet Radio Flying Club AGM Saturday 28th November - Red Lion Pub Kilmington

This year's AGM will be held at the Red Lion in Kilmington on Saturday 28th November - meeting at 6:00 pm with the aim of starting the meeting promptly at 6:30 p.m.

As usual, we will be laying on a free buffet and initial drink.

The aim at this year's meeting will be to get through the usual reports as swiftly as possible so we can spend more time finding out from you what you would like the club to do in 2016. So please make every effort to attend if you can - it would be great to see as many of you there as possible.

Agenda to follow shortly

If you are not a member - why not come along and join!

cheers,
Chris Lamming

Vice-chair WSRFC

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All Whitesheet members (or those wishing to join of course!),

Please try and make the effort to attend tonight's AGM, for the Whitesheet Radio Flying Club, to be held in the Red Lion pub, next to the slope, starting at 630pm.

We currently have around 8 people confirmed as attending, which makes us 4 short of a quorum.

I realise meetings like this won't fill you with joy and anticipation: AGMs for any organisation seldom do. However, the committee do have to run it as part of our constitution. The ongoing success of the club does, in the end, require a little input from its members.

We hope to make the evening a relaxed affair, with less emphasis on reporting and more time for discussions and meeting each other and enjoying the food and drink of the pub. We are catering for 25 people tonight, so there should be plenty of food to go with the free drink that the club is offering for all who attend.

As you may be aware, a number of committee positions are needing to be filled this year. You may have read the handbook and seen a big job description and feel that you won't have time to give to the club to do the job. In reality, the roles of Treasurer and Secretary are not so onerous.

I have spoken with previous Treasurers, and the position mostly involves entering membership payments into a spreadsheet and keeping track of the club accounts. The time needed for this is a little more at the start of the year and reduces as fewer members renew or join. Den Larking does excellent work with administrating the membership applications, so the new Treasurer will certainly have a lot of support from him, as he is continuing his role as membership sec next year. 

The Club Secretary role is also not as complicated and time consuming as the handbook would have you believe. Mostly it involves trying to work with the rest of the committee to ensure communications are sent out and some kind of record is made of WSRFC meetings. Some people have written very detailed minutes in the past, but this is not necessary at all - just a basic record of what gets agreed is sufficient. All that is really needed is a little enthusiasm!

Other roles, such as Competitions Secretary and Scale Secretary are flexible, dependent on your time available and what interests you may have. I'm sure there will be some support from previous year's position holders and there will be plenty of help given from the committee in the organisation of any events the club may choose to run next year, such as club competitions or perhaps working with Stu to raise funds for his cancer charity - who knows what we can do or achieve.

We will have a meeting from time to time, (at the Red Lion or elsewhere) to discuss club events and so on, but this commitment is flexible and will work around everyone's time and availability next year.

I look forward to seeing you tonight - 6:30pm!

best wishes,

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

Here are a few notices relating to events at Whitesheet In the coming weeks

Scale events

Unfortunately the weather gods have opened their fly and relieved themselves on tomorrow's Scale fly-in. I have hence heard from Chris Williams that the event is now OFF tomorrow, so the reserve date of April 24 will be used instead.

Competitions

On Sunday April 17th, the Whitesheet club has its first competition of the year, with the Nominated Manoeuvres trophy. Details on the rules for this competition will be given on the day, but from what I gather from Joe Cubitt, it's a chance to show off your skills and have the air to yourself for a slot or two.

This year, the Whitesheet club is running the Tallis trophy, awarded to the flier with the most points over four similar competitions held over the summer. In addition to the trophy, the winner will receive a Hacker Vagabond kit, complete with servos and battery kit! These are excellent models and a worthy prize for anyone who is up for a bit of friendly competition. The club is very grateful for the support of T9 Hobbysport in the supply of this prize.

Everyone is welcome to come along and take part in the club competitions, this year they are all being held on an open basis. There will be bottled prizes given to the best performances in each event, however to be eligible for the Tallis prize and Trophy, you will just need to join the club for a Mere (geddit) £10 - bargain! As an added incentive to Juniors - they can join the club for free.

I hope that many of you are able to get down to Wiltshire and join in with these friendly events.

best wishes and weather,
Chris

IMG_1531.JPG

Hi Guys

Just a reminder that this coming Sunday , we are running our first club competition which is 'nominated manoeuvres' ( aerobatics to you and me). Club members will have received a nice wall chart with all the manoeuvres displayed. The idea is you select a certain number of them and are marked on your accuracy of execution. I will explain more on the day. 

I will make a weather call at midday on Saturday.The idea is that we will meet at 10 am and start at 11 am. This is a very relaxed informal competition and we usually only fly two rounds , so that plenty of sport flying can be done afterwards. However, if all the' hairy-batics' and 'stick bending' becomes a bit addictive we might put in a third round. 

The competition is open to all club members but we would welcome anyone to come along and join the fun. No registration required just turn up on the day.

Joe Cubitt ( WSRFC-  Comp Sec) 

Hi All

Confirmation that the nominated manoeuvres competition at Whitesheet for tomorrow is ON

The day starts with the wind direction slightly north of north west but due to swing north west at about midday

So I suggest we venture up there as planned, get a little practise in and once everyone is happy we will start the comp.

look forward to seeing you all

Cheers

Joe

What a brilliant day!

Thanks to all for coming along - in the end, it was the weather that gave us the competition...

I finished fittingly:

20160417_164249 (Medium).jpg

There was no competition, Stuart. Joe is clearly not as good as you are at arranging the weather. Nonetheless, we had a good gathering of about 15 pilots I would guess. Some flying was done, but little in the way of aerobatics. Martin did a square loop following a spell in a thermal. I did a two consecutive inside loops, then bottled out of a third. Sounds like the wind was much like it was wherever you were, although it was NW until about 1:30, when I left.

I was perfecting the will-he-won't-he landout manoeuver.  With a 20% success rate! It's good for the legs.

As John says, no comp (it is postponed - it will still run at some point) but a lovely day of fun flying in very thermal conditions, though it picked up a little, late in the afternoon.

Tea, cake, much conviviality and a bit of soaring too - hopefully the sign of more good things to come at Whitesheet, this year.

Hope to see you down sometime, Grommit.

Ribs

IMG_1552.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Trevor, 

The Thames Valley Soaring Association has contacted the club earlier this year.

WSRFC is very happy to have the club visit and fly - for specific dates, please contact TVSA directly. 

Unfortunately I am unable to dig out the contact details at present, but will send this to you, if I find it, when back in the UK tomorrow. 

Best wishes, 

Chris Lamming

Chairman, WSRFC

had a quick look here:

http://www.tvsf.co.uk/

They give the Thursday date and Graham Stallard as the organiser. His contact email is on their 'committee' page.

Hope you have a good day out - fingers crossed for the weather. 

• 2 weeks later...

Message from the esteemed Scaley hero, Chris Williams, regarding the planned fly-in tomorrow:

I've decided to settle on the BBC forecast, which gives a consistent light NW, with showers in the afternoon. The White Sheet Club Scale Fly-In is therefore ON!

Disclaimer

The management accepts no responsibility for deviations from official weather forecasts

Gliders can go down, as well as up

Terms & Conditions apply

Joe Cubitt

Hi all

This coming Sunday we, The Whitesheet Radio Flying Club are running our Loops and Spot club competition.

Simple Rules

1 model up at a time, 30 seconds to gain height, then as many loops as you can within 1 minute, then land as close to the designated spot as you can within 2 minutes.

what could possibly go wrong.

There is no limit as to what type of glider. Foamies, mouldies, crunchies and even Scale if you fancy a go.

The comp is open to all Whitesheet members, however non members would be made most welcome. all you'll need is proof of insurance.

Meet on the hill at 10.00am for 11.00am start.

As normal I'll make a weather call on Saturday at noon

Fingers crossed and look forward to seeing you all.

Regards

Joe

WSRCF comp sec

As a bonus, there will be prizes! I believe Joe is sorting bottles for the top places and if you are a member of Whitesheet, you can gain points towards the Tallis Trophy. The winner of the Tallis in 2016 will win a trophy AND a Hacker Vagabond, complete with a servo and battery kit.

Let's hope the weather is kind to us this time and comp goes ahead.

cheers

Chris

WSRFC

Joe Cubitt

Hi Chaps

Apologies for delayed post, the joys of being self employed!.

i can confirm that the loops and spot landing competition for tomorrow is ON.

The forecast shows NE which will put us on the end of our Morgan's slope. 

Meet at 10am for an 11.00 start.

see you all in the morning.

cheers

Joe Cubitt

WSRFC Loops and Spot landing competition.

What a glorious day, wall to wall sunshine, rolling country side bursting with spring life, full size gliders being tugged to stratospheric height, most of the Phillips house hold all the way from Eastbourne and a north easterly breeze to keep us cool.

What more could we have asked for?

Whitesheet members, that’s What!

I arrived at the top of the hill at 10.00 shortly to be joined by JP, Wendy and Olivia.

We exchanged pleasantries, loaded ourselves up and headed for the slope. I’m sure the NE facing slope moves further away each year! We set up base just as our esteemed chairman Chris arrived and that was it? No one else arrived, not a sausage!

Well, we had enough pilots, Trophies had been polished, points needed to be earned for the Tallis wining Vagabond, Vino needed handing out to the Victors and conditions were improving.

Round 1

JP was up first flying his Wildthing and in the slightly iffey lift conditions he went for the further out approach to start his loops. John completed 9 loops and landed 11 mtrs from the spot.

Olivia was up next flying her Wildthing and obviously was going to follow Dads idea by flying safely away from the slope ( I think I need to go to spec savers). Olivia managed 1 loop and landed 10.5 mtrs from the spot.

Chris, flying his ELF dlg gallantly forced his model through the by now increasing breeze to pull 13 loops and land 16 mtrs from the spot.

Joe, Flying his trusty McMeekin Predator completed 16 loops and landed 1 mtr from the spot.

Round 2

JP Now went for the ‘lets try high approach’ with 14 loops and 1.5 mtrs from the spot.

Olivia sticking to the (flying in the next county) approach upped her loops to 5 and landed 18.5 mtrs.

Chris beat us all in this round with the most loops at 18 and landed at 5.5 mtrs (actually he landed a lot closer but the wind caught his little Elf and flipped over before we could measure it)

Joe, managed to gain some great initial height before doing 17 loops and land at 2 mtrs.

Round 3

JP, Now going for the ‘ lets see how low we can go and still recover to the top’ popping in the most loops for the day at 19. Then worked way back up to land at 2 mtrs

Olivia, Upped her loops to 8 and gracefully landed 3.5 mtrs from the spot.

Chris having now switch models to his Mark Drela Allegro (broken fin on the ELF) pulled 8 loops and landed at 10.5 mtrs.

Joe, trying the close in approach managed 15 loops despite landing at the bottom of one! And managed to land at 3 mtrs.

So there you have it, a great day socially, fending off inquisitive cattle, fresh coffee with shortbread supplied and served by Chris and we all agreed that trying to identify the various light aircraft that passed by during the day must be Spitfires!

Final results

1st Joe Cubitt

2nd John Phillips

3rd Chris Lamming

4th Olivia Phillips

Most improved pilot of the day has to go to Olivia Phillips, Well done

And to top it all, we all left with a bottle of vino each

Perfick

Joe

WSRFC comp sec

• Like 3