Whitesheet Radio Flying Club

Ribs

Phil.Taylor

Looks like it was a great day - shame I couldn't get there earlier - but when I arrived at 6pm it was still lovely summer soaring weather.

Yep, that's a photo of me wearing a hard-hat-cam :D - and the resulting video is now up on the slope videos thread - link below

Phil.

Ah it was a wonderful day, we were really lucky with the weather and the turn out was excellent.

Phil - you are a pioneer: great video!

Here's to the next event on August 13th.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Does anyone know if any of the slopes at WS will support DS flying?

I blew the dust off my JW60 yesterday and flew it on the front slope, but thought I really should try it at what it was designed for.

Rodders

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Hello

Does anyone know if any of the slopes at WS will support DS flying?

I blew the dust off my JW60 yesterday and flew it on the front slope, but thought I really should try it at what it was designed for.

Rodders

Hi Rodders,

Unfortunately the ridge of Whumpcrump - which was one of the South's premier DS sites is no longer covered by WSRFC.

That's not to say that you couldn't obtain permission to fly there on your own steam, but it might be hard work. The land-owner has essentially given all slope access to the Hang Gliding Club, so the SE bowl and the E ridge of Whumpcrump is now out of bounds for us, other than under very specific, pre-arranged circumstances.

This may change in future, as things evolve between the Hang Glider club and WS, but it may be in our interest to keep the status-quo, in order to retain exclusive (more or less) access to the main SW bowl and NW ridge of Whitesheet.

Hope that helps,

cheers,

Chris

Ok, thank you.

For the gliders I fly, I don't ever expect to see a hang glider up there at the same time as me, so don't see any possible cross over/conflict of use.

Any idea on the upper wind range of a hang glider?

Rodders

Hi Rodders,

There may indeed be no cross-over, I appreciate that, but currently we do not have permission to fly at Whumpcrump, under the rules of the club.

If you are there DSing, other people will assume it is ok, and you may jeopardise the ongoing good relationship between WSRFC, the hang gliding club and the land owners, including the NT. Please consider these wider aspects of how and where we fly at Whitesheet.

The best approach to this would be to take on a role in the club to look into obtaining the necessary permissions and agreements to reinstate this activity, then work to promote safe practice of DS flying and organise demonstrations or events for the members who are interested. You could use the club website and this forum to advertise it. I am sure the club and its committee would support this approach wholeheartedly.

Perhaps there are other possible ridges for DSing - might be worth starting a separate thread to gather other people's local knowledge on this.

cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

Chris

Breathe deeply. It's going to be ok!

I'm not going to pitch up with a D60, slicing the wings off hangliders.

I mearly asked. 

Rodders

• Like 1

Martin Church

Rodders have you ever tried dsing the tree at the back of westbury white horse on the northeast slope? It's doable but you'll need a spotter to keep an eye out for traffic coming up the Bratton Rd 

4 hours ago, Martin Church said:

wump crump was superb for DS in a dead westerly & ive flown there many times. It's my opinion that the club had its pants pulled down over the agreement that they, (hang Gliders & the crap in a string bag brigade) can fly our slopes any time in the week yet we are not allowed anywhere near theirs at any time even if it's totaly unflyable for them & nobody is even there which in fact are the ideal conditions for flying at wump crump. Not a dig at anybody Chris, just a huge disappointment & I do not know all the facts surrounding said agreement.

you know what they say about opinions, they are like xxxxxxxxs, everyones got one!.   Opinions are also very often nowhere near to being facts.

Martin

I don't think it is at all constructive to critcize other hobby's or activities on this forum if you wish to explore the possibilty of other sites come along to our monthly meeting to discus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Tomorrow's Open Slopes event at Whitesheet is On! Hope to see you there for a jolly nice day of gentle slope soaring and possibly bungee flying.

Meet at the hill from 10(ish) onwards.

All visiting flyers welcome.

Cheers 

Chris 

• Like 1

PEGBOARD

Chaps.. We came to the slope last week and could not see where we could retrieve the pegboard from now the shed at the pub has gone.

Are we still using the pegboard and if so where is it hiding? 

Trev

Well chaps, it was being used last week when I was up on the slope.not by me as I was on 2.4 that day. I do use 35 meg still, so I am also keen to know where it is. 

Mike. 

The peg 'stick is usually found with the orange disc in a plant pot, near to where the shed used to be in the red lion car park.

At the moment the orange disc is away for refurbishment. 

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:33, Ribs said:

All,

Tomorrow's Open Slopes event at Whitesheet is On! Hope to see you there for a jolly nice day of gentle slope soaring and possibly bungee flying.

Meet at the hill from 10(ish) onwards.

All visiting flyers welcome.

Cheers 

Chris 

How did Sunday go ?

Stu.