Whitesheet Radio Flying Club

Ribs

Martin Church

Anyone still using the flat field site is it still available etc. Just purchased an f3k glider & wondering if it would be suitable to use.

Hi Martin,

We are / will be in discussion with the owner of Lower Barn Farm, which has been used in the past. We hope to run a flat field event there late this summer - a sort of combined bbq, thermal, winching etc event. Details TBC. See club website under social fly-ins.

If you want to help and/or investigate running events there or just using the site for sport thermal, please get in touch by PM and we can go from there. As it is, I think it best we do some background work, before anyone rocks up at the field with the intention of flying. We spoke to the farmer last year on the gratuities run (planned again this year) and he was pretty supportive - so I'm hoping to make something more of it this year.

cheers,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2017 at 18:59, 00trev said:

I spoke to Chris Lamming earlier this week about the problem TVSF have mustering enough players for our 60" pylon racing event on the 12th February.
His view was that, like our club, there is waning interest (Hardly ever enough to run a comp). What I was looking for was 1 or 2 pilots to bolster the numbers and make it viable.

So if you have a 60" that needs exercising or just fancy a go just contact between now and the event. If enough interest was expressed we would attempt to hold the event somewhere between. Venue for prevailing direction is always chosen the prior day along with on or off decision.

If you would like to know more contact me or take a look at the TVSF.co.uk website where the forum has more details.

Trev
Mob: 07920584193

The Pylon event tomorrow (feb 12th) is cancelled. Thanks for all those who replied direct to me and sorry its not on. The spare date for this TVSF event is 9th April.

Good luck to those attending the F3F tomorrow, it looks like a good ENE blow (if cold) in the Petersfield area. 

Trev

• 2 months later...

Hello

Does anyone know if the slope ( not the bowl) on the left as you drive up the lane to White Sheet works in a NE?

I was going to give it a try, but thought it might save me the drive if someone could could confirm either way.

Rodders

Hi Rodders,

If you walk way along to the East side, you might have a chance but it's generally a bad direction for Whitesheet.

For NE I would go to Bratton camp near Westbury (also known as Westbury White Horse) - the lift there is amazing for N - ENE. Just follow your nose around the top, to the right of the white horse.

Cheers, 

Chris

WSRFC

Rodgers,

Its been awhile since I have flown at the White Sheet, but I seem to remember flying the bowl right at the end of Morgans ridge, ( the slope on your left as you drive up the track), in a NE wind. Other than that, I agree with Chris about Westbury for a NE. 

Oh no.

So I can ignore that wind wheel on the previous page!

its been blowing a NE just about all week and I didn't know that Westbury was good in that direction.  Maybe someone should put an accurate/corrected wind wheel on the White Sheet webpage for those slope newbies.

Rodders

Ignoring the windwheel, is there any slope for a Easterly wind.

Its blowing its socks off and I'm free all day.

I live near Yeovil/Taunton.

I did find a slope hunter site but it doesn't appear to cover this the Bristol to Exeter to Bornmouth area 

Rodders

oipigface

I know only of the east slope at Beer. It is flyable, and can work well, but it is quite short (the cliff turns 90 degrees west at the south end) and the bushes can be a bit of a problem when launching. When I want to fly in an easterly, I usually go to Wales!

I havent flown it for years but the best Easterley slope I have ever flown is HMS Mercury, near Butser Hill. Its part of the Meon Vally Soaring Association. Masses of clean lift with a huge, flat landing area. When driving onto the field we used to put £1 in a box near the gate for the farmer who owned the land. See the link below. Its off S Downs Way. Might be a little far as its north of Portsmouth, will be worth it though.

http://www.11080837.test.prositehosting.co.uk/slope_sites.html#Mercury

Brett

Crook Peak by Cheddar/ Weston. has a good easterly slope, not flown it for years and a long climb. Might be worth giving West Mendip Soaring Association a shout before heading up there.

40 minutes ago, oipigface said:

....but that's not really in the Bristol - Exeter - Bournemouth area...

Its not far from Bournemouth, plus I did say...

2 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Might be a little far as its north of Portsmouth, will be worth it though.

Theres always clench common near marlborough. East through to South covered.

Its deffo preferable to either Westbury or white sheet for an Easterly

Light NE/NNE forecast for tomorrow evening - think I'll head up to Westbury if any one fancies joining me. PM if you want to co-ordinate.

oipigface

There is an easterly slope at Litton Cheney as well. Not suitable in strong winds, and you need permission from the Marquis MFC.

mate ,

Drive down the A37 to Dorchester from Yeovil, just  near Cattistock , you will find east slope that's a bowl just off the main road , not best lift in the world but ok , if not chalbury hill fort in Weymouth is a nice east face slope.

Bob

Please come along to Whitesheet hill this Sunday and have a fly with like-minded pilots at the first of the 2017 social fly-ins. All are welcome!

A weather call will be made on Saturday around noon, with the decision being posted both here and on the club website: www.whitesheet.org.uk

The club has recently altered its rules with respect to power assist models - this means that only a gale or rain will prevent us from flying - just remember to pack an electric assisted model (motors are now permissible for altitude gain at the hill).

Please note that these events are taking the place this year from our usual competitions - the idea is just to get people together to enjoy the beautiful site.

The club and the hill looks forward to seeing you!
cheers,

Chris Lamming
WSRFC

Hi Bear,

Provided you have suitable third party insurance you are most welcome to come along and fly, BMFA member or not.

all the best,

Chris

• Like 1