Gromit

In Memory of our Son Tom.

18 posts in this topic

I am heartbroken to inform everyone here on BARCS, that on 11/11/2015 (Remembrance day), whilst being cradled in Gillian & My arms, our beloved Son Tom lost his outstandingly courageous battle against Lymphoma & HLH. Our hearts are broken.

Six days before he died, we moved Tom home to live with us.  On his third day at home, Tom's condition steadily deteriorated throughout the day, during the evening we had to call an ambulance for him. Tom's three days at home with us will forever be remembered as being very special to all my family.

On arriving at the hospital Tom was immediately admitted very seriously ill into intensive care at Frimley Park Hospital. After three days Tom had improved sufficiently to be transferred into isolation on the Haematology ward. Tom has spent twenty weeks as a patient on this ward over the past ten months, ten in isolation, as well as a further twenty weeks, ten in Isolation, at University College Hospital in London (UCLH). After only a couple of hours after this transfer Tom's condition again deteriorated. Shortly after we were told the devastating news that there was nothing more that could be done, Tom was dying.

For three days Gillian, Myself, Ben & Sam, were at Tom's bedside, loving, comforting and nursing him. At 6.01 pm on Remembrance day Tom died whilst being cradled in Gillian & My arms.

My family are devasted, our hearts are broken, the pain we are feeling is beyond words.

During the final hours of his life, I made a promise to Tom, I promised him that I would tell the world of his outstandingly remarkable courage and bravery in his ten month battle against both Cancer & HLH. I promised that I would raise desperately needed money in his memory, for both Bloodwise & Histiocytosis UK.  

All my family, ie Gillian, Myself, Ben & Sam, will take great comfort from seeing thousands of pounds raised in Tom's memory. It will go a long way to easing the pain of our broken hearts.

Honouring my promise to Tom I have now set up two 'just giving' pages in his memory, these you will find these here - https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace6/

https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace7/

With YOUR help we can raise tens of thousands of pounds in Tom's memory, for both Bloodwise and Histiocytosis UK. Please tell all your family, friends, business acquaintances, employer/ place of work etc etc, of the 'in memory of Tom' 'Just giving' pages that I have set up in Tom's memory. Maybe you yourself run a business and would like to donate & become involved. With YOUR help we can raise tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of pounds in Tom's memory for both Bloodwise and Histiocytosis UK. 

Together in Toms memory, we CAN 'make a difference' in the fight against these two very cruel diseases.

As soon as i have done the organising, I will be announcing the venue & dates of a number of celebratory 'in memory of Tom' slope events across the country to raise money for my 'In memory of Tom' 'just giving' accounts . If your own club would like to become involved, and hold such an event on one of your clubs slopes this would be brilliant, I would love to hear from you. Together we can then get the organising underway. Please send me a forum PM or an email swallacegromit@aol.com. I haven't as yet decided upon the format of these events. I am thinking perhaps along the lines of an 'open for all fun fly', that way anyone with any model of any kind can join in and support these events. I will also be organising an F3f event at Whitesheet. Perhaps your club too might like to stage an 'in memory of Tom' F3f event ? I look forward to hearing from you. There will be an entry fee to these events and you will also be able to donate on the day with your own personal donation. ALL monies raised at these events will be donated 'In memory of Tom' to both Bloodwise & Histiocytosis UK, through my 'in memory of Tom' 'just giving' accounts.

Tom's funeral is to be held on 3rd December 2015 at Aldershot Crematorium. The day will be a huge celebration of his life. The courage & bravery that Tom has shown his Family, friends, and all the Doctors & Nurses that have cared for him at both Frimley Park & UCLH hospital's has been truly inspirational & astonishing. We are all so very, very proud of Tom.

Finally, My family and I wish to thank everyone on BARCS so very much for your support, kind words, Pm's, emails, and all that so generously donated to the 'Gromit Fund'. My family and I have all been touched and are so grateful to all of you for these. Your messages and incredible support have kept us going even during the very darkest of times during Tom's Illness..

Over the past 10 months i have come to realise that we have a truly very special caring community here on BARCS,  Thankyou All.

My family pic below was taken just weeks before Tom first became Ill. Left to right are Ben, Sam, Myself, Tom and Gillian.

098.JPG

Sincerest thanks and Regards to all of you,

Stu & Family.

Reggles, oipigface, Rob Thomson and 6 others like this

Stuart and Family,

Thanks for giving us this, it is good to know how you all are.  My family and I wish you all sincerest condolences.

For myself, I shall look forward to joining in on 1 or more of your 'In memory of Tom' events.

Best wishes, Jerry, Hilary and Slopedawg

Gromit likes this

Hi Stu

Are thoughts are with you and your family at this very sad time in your lives. 

It was good you posted a photo of your family especially Tom.

I've spoken to you a few times about Tom and how he was getting on with his illness.

I now can put a face to the name.

Its great that you can put some positives into such a heartbreaking time and I'll will look forward to competing in his memory and helping you raise as much money as possible. 

Gromit likes this

I am saddened to inform everyone that on Saturday (28th NOV) I stepped down from my position as Competition Secretary of the Whitesheet RFC.

My reason for this being that I am very conscious, and disappointed of the fact that throughout this year I have not been able to fulfil my role in this position.

At the beginning of this my third year as Comp sec, I had planned to build upon my reintroduction of many of the varied types of Club comps, by organising a full calendar of both slope & Flat field events. Unfortunately it was only a couple of weeks into the year that my Son Tom first became ill. With Tom's illness continuing throughout this year it has been impossible for me to organise & plan any dates for any comps, I was fairly certain throughout this year that I would have not been able to attend to run them, & would therefore had to cancel them. I am personally very disappointed that this has been the case.

I am very proud that despite my personal circumstances, I was successful in building upon my last year’s re-introduction of the English Open F3f comp into the UK F3f calendar, My Son Tom was adamant that I spent the necessary time away from visiting him to achieve this..

I wish to thank all Whitesheet RFC & BARCS members who have supported me during my three years in this role. My thanks to all of you that have supported and entered the various Whitesheet RFC comps that I have staged, and of course the English Open F3f.  Your entries & support have been key to the success of these comps, for this support I thank you.

I particularly wish to give a huge personal thankyou to former Chairman of the Whitesheet RFC Lynda Blythe for all her encouragement & guidance throughout my time as Comp Sec, thank you so very much Lynda.

I am delighted that Joe Cubbitt has stepped forward to be the Whitesheet RFC Comp Sec for 2016. I am certain that Joe will be excellent in this role, I look forward to helping him as much or as little he requires /prefers, especially with the organising and running of next years English Open.

As for my own plans for 2016, I shall be honouring my promise to Tom and shall be concentrating on Charity fundraising in his memory, for the Charities Bloodwise (formerly Leukemia & Lymphoma research) and Histio uk. Both of these charities are directly linked to Tom's illness. Neither of these charities receive any government funding, they rely entirely on fundraising. Both are in desperate need of more funds to enable continued research, development, testing, and treatment's for people like Tom who are fighting against blood cancer & Histiocytosis (HLH)

I have set up an ‘in memory of Tom’ ‘Just Giving’ account for each of these charities.  https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace6/     https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace7/ .  My initial target is to raise £25000.00 for each of these charities, in only 10 days I have already raised £1238.33 for Bloodwise, and £845.00 for Histio UK.

Please pass on these links to your friends, work colleagues and employers, and ask them to do the same. Perhaps you yourself run a business and wish to support, sponsor or donate to my fundraising events in 2016, (These events shall be announced as soon as I have organised them.) I would be delighted to hear from you at swallacegromit@aol.com

Thankyou so very much to those of you that have already donated in Tom’s memory to these Charities, your donation WILL make a difference in the fight against blood cancer & HLH, Your donation has gone a long way to easing the pain of my families grief from losing Tom.

As part of my fundraising during 2016 I wish to organise & stage a number of Charity slope & / or flat field events across the country, to raise money in Tom’s memory for Bloodwise & Histio UK.  I would be delighted if your club would please kindly consider staging such an event. I will do as much or all of the organising of your event if you so wish. I look forward to hearing from you at swallacegromit@aol.com . Together with YOUR help, in Tom's memory WE WILL make a difference in the fight against blood cancer and Histiocytosis (HLH)

Thankyou & Regards,

Stu.

Reggles, Lundylynda and Andy_B like this

Tom's Funeral will take place at 11.30 am this coming Thursday (3rd Dec) at Aldershot Crematorium, Guildford Rd , Aldershot, Hampshire. GU12 4BP. (01252) 321653

Dress code, in respect of Tom's preference no all black please.

Flowers or donations to https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace6/     https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace7/

Afterwards the celebration of Tom's life will continue at the William Cobbett Public House, 4 Bridge Square, Farnham, Surrey GU97QR. Parking available in several nearby Pay & display car parks.

This venue is approx a 10 - 15 minute drive from the Crematorium.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Important traffic information when nearing Aldershot Crematorium;-

We have discovered this afternoon that due to ongoing road works there is a lengthy traffic diversion very close to the Crematorium. If you are approaching the crematorium from the Farnham direction you will need to follow a sign posted diversion which will take around in a large loop back to the road leading to the Crematorium.  This will add approx 10 minutes to your journey time depending on traffic. Please allow for this when planning your journey.

Directions to crematorium here; - http://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/article/2971/About-the-crematorium

Celebration Venue The William Cobbett here http://whatpub.com/pubs/SHB/695/william-cobbett-farnham

Stu.

"I am saddened to inform everyone that on Saturday (28th NOV) I stepped down from my position as Competition Secretary of the Whitesheet RFC."

You'll be a hard act to follow, Stuart!

Lundylynda likes this

Dear All,

Regarding 'The Gromit Appeal'

Gillian, Myself, Ben & Sam wish to thank everyone involved, (we do not know all their names)  for their kindness, thoughtfulness, compassion, time & effort, in organising the 'Gromit appeal' to help our family in our 'time of need'. When Jon Treble (Oipigface) phoned & told me a few weeks ago what unbeknown to me had been being organised i was stunned speechless, and brought to tears, I just couldn't believe that such a thing had been done, our sincerest thanks to you all.

We wish to thank each and everyone of you for YOUR amazing kindness and compassion in donating so very generously to the appeal, to help our family financially with the significant costs of our travelling to visit Tom in hospital. This being to both Frimley Park hospital in Surrey, and to University College London Hospital  (UCLH) in London. We placed all of the funds YOU donated completely separate from our bank account, to ensure that YOUR donations were used only for the purpose that they were given.

Had Tom's health not deteriorated in recent weeks, he would have been accepted onto the new drug trial at the Macmilan Cancer centre at UCLH in London. This would have required us to travel to UCLH three times a week for many weeks / months. Without YOUR donation we would not have been to do afford this without getting into serious financial difficulty.

Devastatingly, Tom's health deteriorated only days after we received your donation, Tom died less than two weeks later.

We have therefore used only a small amount of your donation money. Gillian and I have been discussing at length as to how we believe you would want us to use this money. We have decided that you would want us to use your donation for the very purpose that you gave it, to help our family in our 'time of need. We shall therefore be using ALL of the donation money to pay for a significant amount of the cost of Tom's funeral. We sincerely hope that this is what you would want us to to do.

Our sincerest thanks to BARCS, the GBSRA and the Whitesheet RFC.

Austin, thankyou so much for allowing us the use of BARCS for all the various posts regarding our Son Tom, this is so very much appreciated, thankyou.

Chris, in your position as the new Whitesheet RFC Chairman, I would be very grateful to you if you would please copy this post in full and send it via email to all Whitesheet RFC members. Thankyou Chris, your help in doing this is very much appreciated. 

Martin, would you please ensure this post is copied in full and posted onto the front page of the news on the GBSRA website, thankyou.very much Martin, your help with this is very much appreciated.

Finally, our Sincerest thanks again, both to ALL those who organised the appeal, and to EVERYONE that donated to it, our level of gratitude to you ALL is beyond any and all words.

Stuart, Gillian, Ben & Samuel.

oipigface, Pete Burgess, Reggles and 4 others like this

Hello everyone

My family and I wish to give our sincerest thanks to each and everyone one of you, that have very kindly donated to my 'In memory of Tom' 'Just giving' accounts. Thankyou so very, very much for your donations.

In only three weeks the total amount raised between these two acounts now stands at a truly astonishing £12,948.33.

Please follow these links for details;- ...
Bloodwise ;- https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace6/

Histio UK ;- https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace7/

TOGETHER in Tom's memory, we have ALREADY made a difference in the fight against Lymphoma, Leukemia & Histiocytosis.

All of my family are taking great comfort from seeing YOUR donations, and watching the totals raised increase daily. This is going some way to easing the pain of our broken hearts.

Please share the above links with all of your family & friends, including all your friends on Facebook. By doing this quick and simple task you will help spread the story of Tom's incredible courage, bravery, and inner strength, throughout his cruel illness throughout the UK and beyond. Take pride in the knowledge that YOUR simple act of sharing these links is enabling an endless amount of further donations to be made. In Tom's memory YOU WILL be saving many lives.

Thankyou all so very much.

Stuart, Gillian, Ben & Sam.

isoaritfirst, Reggles, Austin and 2 others like this

That's really fantastic Stu in how much has raised for these very worthy charities in such a small amount of time. 

Tom would very proud im sure.

Gromit likes this

In memory of our son Tom, two of his very good friends Alex & Tom have organised a charity football match 'The Tom Wallace Cup'. This is a memorial football match to be played to raise money & awareness into the treatment & support of people like Tom, suffering from Lymphoma & Histiocytosis (HLH)
The match is being played at the Surrey Sports ground, Guildford on Sunday 27th Dec.
Around 30 players have pledged £20.00 each for the honour of playing in Tom's memory.
All monies raised will be donated to Bloodwise & Histio UK through my 'In Memory of Tom' 'Just giving' pages

https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace6/    https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace7/ 

For details of the Memorial match follow this link ;- https://www.facebook.com/tomwallacecup/?fref=ts

Stu.

The football match staged in memory of our son Tom on 27/11/2015, to raise money for Bloodwise & Histio UK was a very successful day.

A very emotional  2 minute silence was held prior to kick off. Tom's older brother Ben played in the game, his younger brother Sam awarded the trophy.

The match raised an excelent £735.88, this is to be shared equally between Bloodwise & Histio UK .

Tom would have celebrated his 27th birthday today.

A report on the match & lots of pics have now been added here;- ...https://www.facebook.com/tomwallacecup/?fref=ts

Stu.

IMG_0893 (1280x960) (2).jpg

IMG_0895 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0897 (1280x960).jpg

Austin and Reggles like this

My family and I wish to publicly give the sincerest thank you, here on BARCS, to Steve Webb Models & Servo Shop http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/ . On December 17th they very thoughtfully & kindly held their 'Longest day trading extravaganza' raffle, in memory of our son Tom. The prize of this event was a Hubson X4 FPV . The raffle raised £102.63, all of the proceeds they donated through my 'In Memory of Tom' 'Just Giving' page to the blood cancer charity Bloodwise.. Thank you to everyone at Steve Webb Models & Servo Shop for supporting my charity fundraising.

Stu.

Austin and martynk like this

Dear All. 

Jon Fox, is Cycling in memory of our late Son Tom (aged 26) Prudential Ride London 100 .

IMG_2282.JPG

On Sunday 31st July 2016, my good friend, & fellow Barcs & Whitesheet RFC member Jon Fox, will be cycling in this year’s Prudential Ride London 100, raising money for Bloodwise https://bloodwise.org.uk/ in memory of our late Son Tom (aged just 26). The event is a 100 mile cycle ride starting from the Olympic Park in Stratford out through the streets of London, out around the Surrey Hills and finishing back in London on the Mall. As you can imagine, all my family are very touched & very proud of what Jon is doing.

Jon is hoping to raise £500.00 , and has set up a 'just giving' page so that people can read about what he's doing & donate funds should you wish to. Here is the link to Jon's 'just giving' page ;-  https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/JonfoxinmemoryofTomWallace?utm_medium=email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=20160719_70371

The funds that Jon raises will be added to my family's own 'Just giving' Page for Bloodwise. With thanks to many of you on the BARCS forums, the total raised by this page has now passed the 50 % mark and stands at an amazing £12,650.96 ;- https://www.justgiving.com/stuart-wallace6/  With your help by sponsoring Jon's Cycle event we can get significantly closer to our goal target of £25,000.00

Your kind donations will in additionally greatly ease the pain of Jon's aching joints & saddle sores :sweat:

Thanks & regards to you all,

Stu.

Jef, Les and Lundylynda like this

O.k. - just out of curiosity of course - I thought I would compare my 'stats' with Tour de France winner Chris Froome. As you can see there isn't much in it. 'Chris' and I will both be riding in this coming Sunday's Prudential Ride London. Chris isn''t trying to raise funds for 'Bloodwise' so has it easy. I on the other hand am under great pressure to try and raise and much money as possible for them.... I know it's just not fair.... so come on, if you haven't yet visited my Just Giving page, please do so and help me beat Chris Froome.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/JonfoxinmemoryofTomWallace

Slide1.jpg

oipigface, Lundylynda, Jef and 1 other like this

Good luck Jon:) we''l be thinking of your in the Tavern with a few glasses raised for your epic ride! Hope it goes well.

Jon_F and Gromit like this

Thanks Lynda - I reckon I'll be hallucinating about 'Cheesy Chips' around the half-way point.

I hope you all have a great trip to Lundy and you get to enjoy some fantastic flying conditions - I will return one day!

Gromit likes this

A very big THANK YOU to everyone who sponsored my 100 mile cycle ride yesterday - in total we managed to raise just over £850 for Bloodwise in memory of 'Tom Wallace'.... fantastic!

Despite the many accidents that happened during this year's Prudential Ride London 100 - I managed to make it around safely in 5 hrs and 17 mins ( ave 19.1 mph ) which I was pretty chuffed ( and puffed ! ) with.

Thanks again for supporting this and it's still not too late to make a donation if you would like to help https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/JonfoxinmemoryofTomWallace

Jon

Ride London 100 for Bloodwise.jpg

Les and Gromit like this

Absolutely fantastic Jon, 'Cracking' :thumbsup:.

Jon,....Gillian, Myself, & our son's Ben & Samuel are so very, very proud of you and deeply moved that you cycled & raise'd  such a very significant amount of money for Bloodwise in memory of our son Tom. This sum 'WILL' make a significant difference to the lives of blood cancer sufferers both present & future, it 'WILL' save the lives of persons like 'our Tom'.

This morning I have just looked at the total that you have raised, it stands at an amazing £895.00, this is nearly double your target.

Gillian, Myself, Ben & Samuel wish to give the most sincerest of thank you's to all on BARCS that have sponsored Jon on his cycle ride THANK YOU.

As Jon says, should you still wish to, or now find that you would like to, or are able to sponsor Jon, here is the link ;- https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/JonfoxinmemoryofTomWallace

Finally, my family's deepest thanks to Austin for so readily allowing us to use the Forum for charity fundraising in memory of Tom, it is so very much appreciated, thank you Austin.

Stu, Gill, Ben & Sam.

Jon_F, Austin, Reggles and 1 other like this