Stream NXT

MikeDLG

Sorry to jump in,

Richard, so it's safe to power my X4R rx through the Vario? I was going to have to Y lead my battery off of one of the servos, but I can connect my battery to the vario and then vario to the smartport? 

Brilliant if you can do that, I didn't know you could =)

Richard Swindells

Yes, in fact I am actually powering my RX through the white smart port on the RX at the moment.

I do plan to update this so power goes from vario to the usual servo-pins on the RX, otherwise I cannot easily disconnect the vario from the RX for competitions.

Richard Swindells

... thinking of it, it would make more sense for me to power the rx directly and hang the vario off the rx smart port ... then I can disconnect easily and it is safer

I was using d4IIr (or whatever its called) last year, where the smart port did not have +ve and -ve connections on the rx, so wiring was a bit more of a pain

• 1 month later...

The dlg competition fraternity, through the forums, have roundly endorsed the design, finish and handling aspects of the Stream NXT.
But what about this model for the aged sport flyer ? Does it provide advantage, is it worth the outlay, What could I expect to get from it and is the hype all ‘Emperors Clothes’? To answer these issues, read on.
My green Stream came thru Richard S and the major component weights were 10.7gm tail group, 32.7gm  fuselage and 102.9gm wing. This gave an airframe weight of 160.4gm which together with 53.9gm avionics led to a target finished weight of 214.3gms. Actual completed weight was 217gms but I needed 3gms of nose weight for a 65mm CoG balance and 220 gm ready to go.
Prior to the build I read and re-read Oleg’s RCGroups Stream thread notes and the build was uneventful. I removed 35mm from the rear of the boom because the fit was not that special, used an external offset horn to the elevator with a conventional Kevlar pull string and folded torsion bar. The standard elevator horn was replaced with my own as once the model is assembled, I do not take it apart, having the room to both transport and store it assembled. The supplied slotted horn was binned. Rear end was built with CA as the wing mount and fin assembly were a very good fit and epoxy is heavy. Wing servos were KST X08 as were the pod mounted elevator and rudder servos. Best choice of LiPo was a 900mah 17.2 gm round 1s. I toyed with the idea of replacing the throw peg with a Snipe T-peg as the glue area on this style of peg is massive.  However, it was heavier and bulkier than that supplied, so I convinced myself that the supplied item would be OK for my less than energetic throw. I used Mike Sterns settings (RCGroups) and then laid the model up for 6 weeks to get a decent day for first trimming.
I need not have procrastinated, the NXT flew off the board with only minor trim changes. I can make the following observations….
1. The model launches straight and level without momentary rudder and aileron trim corrections for yaw. The assumptions are that the boom is stiff and the wing geometrically perfect.
2. The NXT is as fast as an XXLite with better sink rate
3.  The NXT is as slow as an Elf but with better sink rate
4. The pilot work rate for slow thermal scratching is very low. The NXT almost flies itself.
5. The stall is predictable and straight ahead, no warps or twists in this airframe.
6. The model indicates lift well.
7. After a 2h session, my back and arm do not give me gyp the following day due to low model mass.
8. The model behaves impeccably with no bad habits yet found.
In conclusion, the outstanding feature of the Stream NXT is the ability to scratch about at low level with the very minimum of pilot input. Coupled with the low weight and consequent painless next day performance I am happy to endorse this model as most suitable for the aged sport flyer and your hangar will not be complete without one.

stream 001.jpg

• 3 months later...

‘Paint It Black’…a lightweight Stream NXT
Whilst trying to order a second NXT, Richard remarked that Laurynas had been working on weight reduction and was offering an NXT with some weight savings. These were …….
1. Fuselage was now full carbon instead of carbon/aramid and was offered with the stab mount fitted, saving 4gm.
2. Wing lay up was lighter by 10gm with less cosmetic paint.
3. Stab set was 1gm lighter.
So I grabbed his hand off and the above duly arrived a month or two later. The major component weights were wing/stabset/fuz at 93/10/30gms or 133gms total. With SD100 on RU/EL , MKS65 on AIL and a 600mah 1s Turnigy nanotech Lipo, the avionics  weigh in at 45gm, giving a total of 178gm. Aiming for sub 200gms RTF, this allows for 21gms of glue, screws, torsion springs, pull wire, throw peg etc . It is obvious that all the gear has to be as far forward as possible to obviate the need for lead to tune the CoG to 65-70mm. Accordingly, the SD100’s were mounted on a servo tray epoxied into the pod with the battery and decased RX upstream of the servos and not capable of being removed without removal (destruction) of the servo tray. Once the wing is fitted, it is not removed as I am able to store and transport assembled. I therefore do not use compression contact aileron plugs and sockets and hard wire the aileron servos into the RX using  simple 26swg extension leads. Ballast is an 0.8mm ply tongue with 4 x 10gm adhesive weights fixed into a hole in the servo tray in the usual manner. The final weight ready to fly came to 199gm for a 70mm CoG and 201gm for a 65mm CoG. As yet unflown so I do not know where I will end up, but close enough to 200gm to make little difference.
It is not expected that a lightweight NXT will have any substantial aerodynamic/performance advantage over the more usual 230-240 gm build but as I have suggested before, the lighter the model, the easier it is on my back after a few hours throwing. In addition, for the less than impressive launcher, the model release velocity hence launch height is governed by the acceleration imparted to the model over the snap phase. This is related to the rotational inertia of the model, governed by mass. The same argument does not relate to a young, fit launcher whose release velocity is probably limited by drag.
This is a most impressive model of high quality which can be built down to around 200gm ready to fly.

nxt.jpg

nxt 003.jpg

nxt 005.jpg

nxt_lite 008.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello all ,

I'm very happy with my new model , I thank you very much Richard for supplied me with Stream NXT glider .

I finished my Nxt 224gr  CG is 65mm , I put 4 kst X08 ,1 frsky vario , 1 d4r-ii receiver and 900mah round cell 1s lipo battery.

I made same push rods same as my friend Marin ,they are very light and work very good ,I made them from 0.9mm wire with 2mm carbone tube and straw from WD40 spray.

I flew it today for first time , it has higher throw from my Stark dlg and NXT fly very smooth and stable but I feel on 65mm it's very forward CG and tonight I  moved it back little bit ,I replace the position on the battery with the receiver 

20161103_211426.jpg20161103_222439.jpg20161112_231054.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a few hand launches to check it over.   Looks calm on Sunday so hoping for a proper test (will report back).

Do most people run the aerial inside the pod?  I know it's kevlar but I always feel safer running outside and away from the servos.    I'm running a Frsky DR4 II which has 2 antennas.   The wire is quite stiff and a pain to keep tidy allowing for easy removal of RX and battery.    Suggestions welcome on placement and management - will probably ask on RCG too.

Richard Swindells

i have mine inside the pod... i do have one rx that seems to sound the low RSSI alarm a bit too regularly for comfort... but the others are quite happy to the limit of sight .

thanks guys.   I get quite a bit less servo chatter with antennas outside.     Rotating the antenna on the circuit board contacts made life much easier for fitting.

Damp and drizzly today but given forecast ahead I got out regardless.

I think most of the superlatives of the NXT have already been raised.    The one thing that struck me was "smooth as silk" - everything felt effortless.   No major dramas just a few clicks of trim on the elevator and she behaved impeccably.

Feels strange launching something so light and I need to remember how to program my Taranis again before getting the model set up fully.    

After over 6 months without a model I'm chuffed to be back in the air.   As my first build I learnt a lot and expect MK2 to be a lot more straight forward.

Thanks for the help and to Richard + Stream for the model.

• Like 1

Martin Church

So is the stream NXT suitable as a first full blown DLG? I have a libbel & feel a little cheated as it sux. I've spent a day throwing a Blaster 2 E around our field and thoroughly enjoyed it am after more fun.

Martin Church

Already have Mark just trying to reassure myself that it's the right thing I'm doing ;)

17 minutes ago, i_am_mark_evans said:

If it's within your budget then I don't think you can find better, give Richard a shout,  he's your man to get one from.