What screwdrivers?

Nick Jackson

• Committee Member

What small precision / jewellers screwdrivers are best, bought from where?

The Draper Expert 78925 set I've had for years was in the back of my car when it was pinched recently. I need a replacement set of Phillips/Posidrive and slot drivers in standard modelling sizes. Good to include hex drivers to have them in the same set for convenience but not essential since I've still got lots of Allen keys kicking around. I don't want just to get the same Draper set again - this time around I want a separate tool for each size and type without messing around changing blades / bits. Quality more important than price.

Apologies may be in order for using the forum for such a basic inquiry - but good to see if there are any gems out there?

Agree with Maplins, but also worth a look even more local at Rudolphs, 107 Sea St Herne bay - they have some excellent small tool sets, including Draper.

Simon

I've recently developed an addiction to Wera tools - they do some lovely screwdrivers....

http://www.wera-tools.co.uk/

Amazon sell a few of their sets, I bought this set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-05073675001-Electronic-Screwdriver-Replacement/dp/B009ODV0PI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1449331327&sr=8-5&keywords=wera

and they are lovely in the hand and seem to have very good tips.

Packaging is also very nice - excellent gift ideas to be had.

• Committee Member

I know I said quality more important than price but £80 is still a bit steep for me. Still, nice to know these beauties are out there.

Had seen the Wera when browsing Amazon but good to have the recommendation, and that's where I'll go if the Sealey order just made proves to be a dud. Found out about the Sealey from a catalogue  given to me (along with another catalogue for the Draper range) by Rudolph's in Herne Bay, the splendid shop recommended by Simon - can't think how I didn't know about this place. In principle I dislike checking things out locally then shopping online to save a few quid but in my defence these drivers were not in stock, I was told that ordering would have taken some time and I need them fairly quickly. Anyway, the catalogues have steadily been doing their seductive work; I'll be back to Rudolph's next week for all the spanners I also need following the theft (and no doubt loads of stuff I don't need but looks too tempting ... though surely I'd be a better flier if I owned a long-nosed long-reach plier set and a ratchet crimping tool, wouldn't I?)

Many thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1