NCFM Moth build

Jerry Lunt

I have a Moth to build.

I have Gorilla glue, Profilm and some New Stuff which I have never used before.

I don't have any Goop, Toluene or 3M77 though, so if anyone has any which is excess to requirement, I would be pleased to relieve you of some, for a consideration of course.  :thumbsup:

Any tips on best use of these and/or covering methods would be welcome.

I've built foamies with all the different teqniques and my opinion now is;

Don't use any Goop, or Toulene. Just adds weight.

Use Gorilla glue for spar. 

Worth buying some 77. for applying new stuff then add Profilm over top of the New stuff. Use a credit card to smooth the profilm and dont use much heat. Just get it on without too much shrinkage.

Cover fuselage with solartex. Add some nose weight by covering fuselage and wing to fuselage join by adding lots of layers of cross weave. Lots and lots of very small pieces is boring to do but easy and adds immense strength. A final run over with the iron and a light sanding before applying the 77 spray andsolartex.

Consider doing it in stipes around servo bays so that any busted servo can be removed and a new strip added rather than having damaged whole wing coverings. Also worth making ply servo mounts sunk and glued into wing. Increases joint size making servos more solidly fixed for good control and also makes them removable.

Totally agree with the above, I built a Moth the backend of last year and didn't use goop.

Fuz: cross weave glass tape (smoothed with a covering iron) and black solartex over the top (Black is good as it does not get dirty as quick).

Wing: gorilla glue for the spar with Lam film and solar film covered, this makes a fairly tough wing, you will need some M77 for the new stuff or equivalent contact spray

Rather than joining the spar I bought a longer one piece spar that only cost about £5, this made installing the ballast tube a bit easier, I would highly recommend installing a ballast tube as it opens up the flying envelope, I think i would have regretted not putting one in mine, the first time you fly in good lift with full ballast you will know what I mean

6 hours ago, Scram said:

I have a Moth to build.

I have Gorilla glue, Profilm and some New Stuff which I have never used before.

I don't have any Goop, Toluene or 3M77 though, so if anyone has any which is excess to requirement, I would be pleased to relieve you of some, for a consideration of course.  :thumbsup:

Any tips on best use of these and/or covering methods would be welcome.

I to have a Moth the 46" version , I have had it for a while now and collected the various components for the build , goop &  toluene are hard to find over here but alternatives are available, will be good to watch your build as i quite fancy using the new stuff on mine but with no experience of using it I'm confused as just what to order and what technique to use

dave       

How do you attach the fuselage to the wing?

I used goop on my m60. I thought it was the ideal glue for the job, to be honest. I wouldn't gorrilla glue the wing to the fuselage, that's for sure.

I have used silicon in the past although it does have problems if you spill it on areas that you need to tape to it does work well if you are careful.

Inject it into the space between the wing and fuselage after all has been assembled. DON'T ADD to the joint then try to assemble - you will make a right mess!

I have also used hot glue.

Which-ever I always add significant levels of X-weave especially from spar forward. Again use small strips like making paper mashe. It will allow you to get every piece well down, rather than trying to put large pieces around compound curves.

Well, thanks guys.

I'm happy to avoid use of Goop so will find an alternative way to secure fuselage to wing.

I have some useful pieces of carbon tube to use as ballast tube so will certainly look at installing one.

Dave, you are just down the road from me in MH.  I would be happy to share a new tin of 3M77 as it is quite expensive stuff, delivery cost included.  ??

I have not used the NS before either so this will be a learn job.  It's fairly expensive also to buy a full roll (or 2).  I got enough to do my moth from Abbo.  Maybe he has more.

I used masking tape so that the excess glue could be cleared off easily. Like I say I think goop is the ideal glue for the job as it's impact resistant but not so strong the model can never be disassembled if it needs recovering/refurbing. 

It's hard to get enough nose weight in the m60. Assuming the moth is the same don't go overboard on weight behind the CG. The cg is well forward due to the planform (straight leading edge).

Spoiler

Jerry , I would be more than happy to share the cost of the 3M77 with you thanks 

WTF is SPOILER??  It comes up when I click Quote.  I had to paste in the quote.  Still using IE 11

Anyway, Dave, best I can find is £12.95 a can plus £3.95 postage.  However, these same folks do free delivery on orders over £25 - i.e. 2 cans  :)

Shall I order 2 cans?

---     would make sharing easier :)

It does tend to stick the flap down if you empty  half a can in an envelope...

• Like 2

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Scram said:

WTF is SPOILER??  It comes up when I click Quote.  I had to paste in the quote.  Still using IE 11

Hopefully fixed.

3 hours ago, Scram said:
  Hide contents

Jerry , I would be more than happy to share the cost of the 3M77 with you thanks 

Anyway, Dave, best I can find is £12.95 a can plus £3.95 postage.  However, these same folks do free delivery on orders over £25 - i.e. 2 cans  :)

Shall I order 2 cans?

yes please Jerry , 

found a supplier for the new stuff , is this the correct one ? 

http://flyingwings.co.uk/accessories/covering-materials/75mic-lam.html

dave 

Thanks Austin.  I have come back using FireFox.  Still had double sign in procedure   :unsure:

I will get 2 cans then Dave.

Right.  Wing halves were epoxied together the other day.  Carbon spar prepared with a bit of sanding and weights collected.  Wing halves positioned in the EPP beds, a good run of GG laid in the groove and the spar popped into place with a couple of bits of EPP filling the ends.  More GG over the spar and then the wood caps placed in the groove which had blue masking tape along each side.  I then covered with thin poly bag strips so as not to glue the hold-down strips of wood to the wing and lots of weights to hold it down;

IMG_3630s.jpg.905de89930e7cec376d2dfeec7 

......  then I went for a cuppa tea and mince pie  :)

On removing weights etc and blue tape I have a wing:

IMG_3631s.jpg.44cb9aa137b6aaa74825905eb9

IMG_3632s.jpg.d16169a8999ebba0e9e2757b96

..... but I forgot just how much GG can penetrate the EPP and found my wings glued to the beds  :blink::blink::blink:

IMG_3633s.jpg.cbf514c4e79aef3e962bde05fb

... but a bit of careful pulling separated 'em.  Thin poly bag between wing and bed would have prevented this. 

More to follow.

• Like 1

Its easy to add small amounts of GG and a droplet of water into any areas that have cavities in. Work the mix in when it starts to expand. I found it better to add small amounts like this than to add too much at the start and have a big sanding job.

3 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

Its easy to add small amounts of GG and a droplet of water into any areas that have cavities in. Work the mix in when it starts to expand. I found it better to add small amounts like this than to add too much at the start and have a big sanding job.

...... and better at not sticking the wrong parts together I guess  :rolleyes:

The wing is all joined together.

IMG_3635s.jpg.3b851b8e492fd8d1eb875a2c38

Don't make the mistake I did.  The 2 off 1/8" x 1/4" strips are for the back edge of the wings, not fitted as caps over the spar like I did.  Then found I had 2 off 1/4 x 1/4 strips on the trailing edges and the wing would not fit in the fuselage.  So the strips got planed down but It would still not go in so a flat was sanded.  Now it fits.  the 1/4" sq strips would need planning to reduce thickness, after gluing in, I recon.

Fuselage longeron GG'd in at 3.30am this morning due to lousy cough keeping me awake  :(

3M77 should be here today, Dave.  I should be through MH about 7.30 am Saturday morning as long as LM F3F is on.  PM your address and I will drop it off if you like.  If too early for you  ;)  let me know, better maybe I do it on the way back  :thumbsup:

NOW, when it comes to applying New Stuff, do I cover the whole wing, including through the fuselage?  Do I apply Profilm all over as well or after the wing is installed in the fus?  Recon I will look at using either GG or hot glue to fix the wing in. 

So, if I look at reinforcing the joint with little strips of X-weave tape, is this applied before or after covering wing/fuselage?

Have I got any SolarTex anywhere??

There are a few options.

If you want the model heavy then x weave tape the wing and fuselage seperatly then join together with hot glue or silicon or goop - what ever you have. add more x weave around the join especially in front of CG. You can make nice fillets with hot glue.

When that  is dry new stuff the wing and finally profilm. Then solartex the fuselage.

You can choose to miss out the Xweave if you want a little lighter.