Sign in to follow this  
Scram

NCFM Moth build

ChuckGlider

I haven't had a chance to make adjustments to mine, but I haven't had a chance to fly for a couple of weeks now either. And I have a new build project on the board and preparing my thermal soarers for the coming season. Life is so busy!

MooSe

M60's back in stock at T9. Well there's one less now :rolleyes: 

This'll be my 4th.

MooSe

Anyone Know the M60 plan dimensions of the ballast tube installation, specifically diameter?

May make one up or fit a Sunbird/Mini Vec tube in there if it fits.  Also where are you guys getting your lead from? My supply has all but run out and that was acquired.....

Mike (who's not feeling in a smelting mood and has run out of lead!)

MooSe

Don't you just love the feeling before commencing foamage construction! 

This M60 will be built to the NCFM target weight around 30oz. I feel the M60 excels from light to moderate conditions where it's ability to bang a turn really shine. Too much ballast takes the edge off and with that in mind I'm not going to want lashings of tape and laminate.  There are other foameez that take the weight better.

I was pleased to see NCFM have modified the fuz construction by helpfully cutting in half lengthwise. Much easier to assemble now. 

Component wise I have 2000mah AA pack for weight, reliability and decent usage times.  KST dig servos for resolution and torque and a titchy rx.

I'll be building this with a weather eye to epp 60  rules but primarily as a machine for fun and to get the best of what the wing has to offer so I'll be going astray from the instructions in a few places. 

As I said this'll be my 4th so hopefully the slickest one yet. 

20160312_095659.jpg

• Like 1

MooSe

P.P.P.P.P.P. 

Guess the acronym but it's very apt before joining and sparring the wing. 

Spar caps profiled for a snug fit.  Absolutely no benefit to the structure apart from allowing you to place weights upon to set the frothing spar.

That's the fuz longeron with sand paper wrapped around to position and profile ze spar caps. 

20160312_150531.jpg

MooSe

Due to a temporary work bench  (moved house recently so the wife objected to me fitting out a workshop before house renovation. ....) I require a flat surface so have repaired to the kitchen. It's not so bad in here, I'll be paying Tribute to The Reverend James whom went down with all aboard on the Ghost Ship.......:frantics::frantics::frantics:

20160312_164433.jpg

• Like 1

evad
1 hour ago, MooSe said:

Don't you just love the feeling before commencing foamage construction! 

This M60 will be built to the NCFM target weight around 30oz. I feel the M60 excels from light to moderate conditions where it's ability to bang a turn really shine. Too much ballast takes the edge off and with that in mind I'm not going to want lashings of tape and laminate.  There are other foameez that take the weight better.

I was pleased to see NCFM have modified the fuz construction by helpfully cutting in half lengthwise. Much easier to assemble now. 

Component wise I have 2000mah AA pack for weight, reliability and decent usage times.  KST dig servos for resolution and torque and a titchy rx.

I'll be building this with a weather eye to epp 60  rules but primarily as a machine for fun and to get the best of what the wing has to offer so I'll be going astray from the instructions in a few places. 

As I said this'll be my 4th so hopefully the slickest one yet. 

20160312_095659.jpg

watching with interest , im wondering whether to invest in a m60  

where did you get the goop from ??

dave 

MooSe

Erm, a small island called Curacao in the Caribbean! 

I used to work there and the hardware shops got stock from the USA so I stashed a load of goop and 5lts of toluene in my container when I left :D

• Like 1

evad

my toluene evaporated in the sealed container :(

dave  

MooSe

Well you know how the next bit goes. ......

Despite my prior planning visitors came unexpectedly and a curry materialized. So I was forced to consume vast amounts and wash it down with ale that was meant to see me through the night. Oops!  

So youngest nipper tucked up and the others glued to TV but most importantly, wifey out :thumbsup: spar frothage of foamez begins. 

No photos but you all know the drill. A mad panic to epoxy the spar joiner and curse at why gorilla glue comes out like bleddy hp sauce!  Followed by a spar cap covered in bricks and tins of beans and a bottle of rum.  Well it was heavy! 

Now I sup tea and monitor progress thanking myself for remembering to put grease proof paper under the wing B|

• Like 1

MooSe
6 minutes ago, evad said:

my toluene evaporated in the sealed container :(

dave  

Mine is in a 5lt can. Will see me through I suspect. I built one and used a thinner that contained xylene.  Worked fine. Dunno where you find toluene here?  

evad

i found some on the tinternet uk supplier was 500 ml arrived in a plastic container quite expensive if i remember right , but it evaporated before i had chance to use it , i found goop over here as well but labeled as 9001 or something will dig it out tomorrow and check   

dave 

evad
MooSe

On the subject of thinned goop, I am a big believer in it.  I built my 1st M60 to spec and used multiple layers of thinned goop, x weave tape and tex with more thinned goop. The fuz was pretty darn good. I put it down the back of the wrecker on my 1st epp 60 race and it survived.  Later I nailed it into the deck from speck height when I think the centre of pressure over came the cof g and had no elevator response. Didn't survive that!  I stripped the fuzz to recover the wing and marvelled at the strength of the skin.  Of course the foam was beanbagged and the spar shuttered but the skin remained intact.

If you need to build racers then goop maybe overkill as you need to service and tune and repair frequently.  If you are building for fun then durability and pride of build come more into play.  This one will have the same goop-tape -tex -goop system as I hope to look after this one a bit better. And it's incredibly strong.

M60 2009 5.jpg

MooSe

The trouble with a kitchen is there is a lack of compact heavy things! 

20160312_203748.jpg

MooSe

Freshly build years ago just before laminating film got popular R.I.P!

17092008396.jpg

• Like 1

evad
5 minutes ago, MooSe said:

The trouble with a kitchen is there is a lack of compact heavy things! 

20160312_203748.jpg

tut , just one house brick in your kitchen , what is the world coming too ?  

• Like 1

MooSe

Aha ! there's another hiding behind the chutney!

• Like 1

MooSe

After the death of my 1st beloved M60 I acquired two 2nd hand wings and having only some rubbish low density epp blocks knocked up these awful fuz's. Rough and ready for an EPP60 season. The white one flew nice because I put decent under/over linkages in. the black one had standard type links although bottom hinged but with those terrible 82MG servos. I could never get it to fly properly because there wasn't enough resolution to get the travels down.

I have observed that the Ubercraft Raven also utilizes under/over links. They are really good on a foamy. Great slop free linkages with decent geometry for those tiny elevator travels.

Still got that (Predator) Bee. That and an Elf were the only models that never sold when I flogged my fleet to move abroad. Got the newer 60" Scout Bee in the post from HK. That'll be getting the treatment. Hopefully make a nice hack for those tight places like Westbury White Horse when the doggy walkers and jellyfish are in abundance.

EPP60 trimming (3).JPG