2016 EPP Nats

Rocket Ronnie

5 hours ago, Skirmish said:

There must be folk out there who struggle to find time for a two day event. Having said that there are obviously a lot of people who can manage it and enjoy that format.

Can we accommodate both camps to try and be as inclusive as possible.

Is there any way that the scoring could be carried out that would allow those attending just the Sunday to still be in with a chance of winning the competition?

How would that work and be fare to the pilots that attend both days?

Last year everyone stayed for the 2 days however we did say we could run the two days as individual contests a you have a winner on each day, but the combined comps would be to crown the overal NATS winner which is only fare.

37 minutes ago, oipigface said:

I think you've answered  your own question, Martin. Viva the treble comp!

That was the intention John :) it worked well, the option was there it just worked out that pilots stayed and enjoyed both days.

Surely the whole point is to have one competition, the EPP60 Nationals. If I'm going to attend it will be to enter and stand a chance of winning the Nats, not just one of the contributory comps. For many years the event was on just one day and it worked fine. As I say, I'm sure there are many people out there that would love to enter but just can't commit to two full days away from home and family duties. Does that not make it unfair to them?

37 minutes ago, Skirmish said:

Surely the whole point is to have one competition, the EPP60 Nationals. If I'm going to attend it will be to enter and stand a chance of winning the Nats, not just one of the contributory comps. For many years the event was on just one day and it worked fine. As I say, I'm sure there are many people out there that would love to enter but just can't commit to two full days away from home and family duties. Does that not make it unfair to them?

No, it doesn't. It gives them a choice of two one-day competitions, and the option (should their commitments change) of a two-day one. It's what we economists call a Pareto superior solution - better for some, worse for none.

• Like 1

who are these many people as I don't remember them coming to the league comps and they were 1 day. I like the 2 days makes a good weekend.

frank  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Rocket Ronnie

Been up to Nonts Sarah today for a spot of EPP bashing. And a bit of recruiting for the Nats

looks like theses boys are up for it.

Great couple of flights, but Tooooo Cold. 

IMG_0822.thumb.jpg.16c05dc4e8f84f2ff90b4

Rules don't restrict planes to be tailless, but experience has (I suppose) shown that planes with tails are less likely to win races. Twitchy they can be, but properly set up the most popular designs can all be set up to respond smoothly if that's what the pilot wants. They are very sensitive to CG position, and setting up is usually not a one-off process.

Fastest and best model I've had was my much reworked Rico-She. 

Trouble was it just was too difficult to keep flying well throughout a day of Man on Man racing.

But when it was going well - there was little that could match it. 

Bluto was possibly quicker in great air but not as versatile. Ricoshe also had camber options that helped in the climbout, and snap flap that made it click around a turn better than many planks can manage.

Overall I still thing the Gulp SR is a great racing model. Its fast enough, but not the fastest, but it takes the knocks, is non fussy and still flies as well at the end of the day as it does at the start.

Probably the most sucessful epp racer ever, because it copes well with all conditions and flies so easily it can be made to fly a good tight course and change its line when needed. Some plank designs, especially when flying heavy can only fly a smooth line that is fine if no one else is on that line.. 

• Like 1

Skua is a nice handling plank - but gets a bit out of shape if you push it too hard. Fine for racing but try Dsing or high speed dives and it will flutter at around 80mph, no matter how much care you take with the build. 

Bluto is very fast and tough enough, lands well and can be made to have crow braking pretty succesfully. But I wouldn't choose it in light conditions, to my mind its best built heavy and kept for the big days

• Like 1

All this enthusiasm is infectious. I  will have to build a plank though.  Thinking 60 inch span, PW51 foil, golf club shafts for spars, no sweepback.  Any suggestions as to root and tip chords? Can you use any thickness of lam film?

• 2 weeks later...
isoaritfirst

Best to mount them as securely as you can. A lost fin can mean a lost model. 

Better that they get crumpled but carry on, than removed imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, f3fman said:

Velcro, but why do you want them to knock off ?

I'd rather have them knock off than break.

I'm with Mike. Secure the fin as strongly as possible.

Of course the Gulp fin is EPP and can take a huge bash and still remain in place.

• 1 month later...
Rocket Ronnie

Hi all you EPP racers. Please keep your eye on this post, the dates for this year's BMFA's 60 " Epp Nats 

Will soon to be announced. I hope we get a good number from the southern guys again, I know some of you have some

unfinished business. Looks like the lads from the north are up for it again.

Ronnie