This Looks very Worrying

EssexBOF

15 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Jef

Thanks for that - so - Samuel Franklin Cody did own a Wild West Show and did "nurture the confusion with the public that he was "Buffalo Bill" (Colonel William Frederick Cody) deliberately.......

I'll have to drop in to the Hendon RAF Museum sometime soon and check the wording on their display, featured on the wall in the Main Hall, and make sure they're not falling for Samuel Cody's deception and they're not publicising a cheat - I'm sure they'd be VERY unhappy if they thought they were......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Cody was a bit of a con man as he had little experience of design or construction of aircraft at that time. He did copy some which caused some angry reposts from Glen Curtiss who claimed he copied his designs.

There is an excellent book out "Marked for Death" that gives a description of Cody's last aircraft called the "Cathedral" due to the wires and struts, together with its demise. Geoffrey de Havilland passing by, twanged the wires saying that they were more in keeping with harp strings and not strong enough, Cody dismissed what the wippersnapper said to those around him.

On the 7th August, he took the  Captain of the Hampshire.cricket team up, before he flew down to Clashott to have floats fiitted for an attempt to fly aronud the British Isles, to win £5000 prize Witnesses saw the aircraft stagger then the wings folded upwards. Cody and passenger were catapulted out and fell 3-500 feet to their deaths.He had his wish granted that his death would be sharp and audden in his own aeroplane.

Has anyone got any understanding of what CIAM is doing to maintain harmonisation? Its going to be very difficult to have an International class competition if different countries have different rules on what can be flown and where  (and how high).

Happy New Year

• Like 2

Some classes would essential cease to exist if not flown in their european heartlands.  E.g f3j, f5j, f3b etc which cannot flown below 400 feet.  

Danny Chapman

I just wrote to my MP (Andrew Smith, Oxford East):

Dear Andrew,

I'm writing as a resident of Marston, and a hobby/model aircraft maker and flier (aero-modeller), because I'm concerned that there may be a move to introduce "drone" legislation in the UK that is similar to the recent regulations that have been introduced recently in the USA and Ireland. These regulations have, as a by-product, effectively banned certain types of model aircraft flying in these countries, causing much distress to aero-modellers there.

I, and many others through the UK, fly radio controlled gliders as a safe and legal recreational activity (with insurance through the British Model Flying Association). These will be typically be a few kg or less, and be launched by hand up to 50m, by winch up to 100m or so, or with a small electric motor which is just used to gain initial height prior to soaring. The current regulations mean that R/C gliders below 7kg can be flown up to any height so long as the pilot remains in visual contact, and flies safely. In practice this means my 1.5m span glider, weighing just 300g, can be flown up to about 400m in height, on a sunny day with good thermals. From years of experience, this is safe, fun, and has interested many bystanders and perhaps inspired a few to take up this hobby too. The current UK regulations can be found here: http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Unmanned-aircraft/Small-unmanned-aircraft/

The new regulations introduced in the USA and Ireland limit all remotely controlled aircraft to a maximum height of 150m, and additional/new regulations such as an exclusion zone of 35 miles around Washington DC have caused huge dismay to the aero-modellers in those areas. Whilst this may be appropriate for what people think of as "drones" (typically multi-copter models with cameras), it has effectively banned a whole class of model aircraft flying - including recreational and competitive glider flying. Glider competitions are held nationally and internationally for tasks that will be impossible with a 150m height limit (not just in competition, but also for practice).

Not only is R/C glider flying currently a safe and enjoyable hobby, it is worth noting that aero-modelling has had a long tradition in the UK, and has been the starting point for engineers, not just in aeronautics, but in all sorts of areas. For example, my father was a senior aeronautical engineer at BAE and Westlands, after spending his childhood making and flying model aircraft, and this is true or many (perhaps most!) in the industry. This government claims to promote STEM, saying "Science and research are major contributors to the prosperity of the UK. For our prosperity to continue, the government believes we need high levels of skills in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM), and citizens that value them". Restrictions on safe and lawful aero-modelling would undermine that objective.

I would be grateful if you could use whatever influence you have to help ensure that this type of aero-modelling can continue in the future.

• Like 5

The PDF I posted earlier......

I read many years ago that Germany had school children doing model planes as part of their education.

The posted PDF was found whilst looking for the original.

I did not know that Japan joined in. (As did Russia)

2 of the top manufacturing nations, on this planet, (post war) being Germany and Japan.

As a teaching aid, model planes are probably the very best prop available. So much can be learned about maths, engineering and physics.

This morning on BBC radio 4 it was stated that they are again going to test children …. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35216318

What freaking planet are these clowns on – 11 year olds ? When I was 7, if I could not have done all my tables I would have hid my head in shame.

chiloschista

In Italy, ENAC just came out with the new regulation:

https://www.enac.gov.it/La_Normativa/Normativa_Enac/Regolamenti/Regolamenti_ad_hoc/info-122671512.html

Sorry in italian, but Google helps.

Btw they make a clear distinction between RPAS and Flying models, but flying models are allowed only up to 70m height and not at night.

Ric

I wrote to MP before Christmas asking him to ensure that the interests of people who have been flying model aircraft safely and lawfully for years are taken into account when the government reviews the regulations governing unmanned aircraft and have had a reply to say that he has written to the Department for Transport.

Steve

• Like 1

Danny Chapman

I can see the argument that it's not a good idea to nag our MPs before we really know the situation. However, I feel more strongly that there's more to be lost by waiting too long than by acting a little too soon (though I should have waited until after the Christmas break!).

In addition, perhaps there's an MP who was once actively involved in aero-modelling, and this will prompt them to take an active interest in something they might otherwise reasonably (but wrongly!) assume would not have affected this activity.

And finally, whilst I hope the BMFA are going to fight hard for us, it might be that those of use significantly affected (beyond a 1-off registration fee) are pretty small fry amongst the BMFA membership, and in any case, all my flying is done independently of clubs. It would be a hollow victory for me personally if, for example, authorisations were made for unlimited height flying only at BMFA affiliated club sites. 

• Like 1

Definitely a good time to lobby your MP's.  The squeaky wheel gets the oil, so the more of a nuisance you make of yourself the better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RamJam 53 said:

Anyone read this?. Apologies if I am going over old ground. http://dronespublicdialogue.co.uk/. I got it off the CAA website. 

An interesting find. 

Our use of model aircraft for recreation and sport is very poorly observed (arguably completely overlooked) in this document, in the "Current Use of Drones" (to use their inaccurate terminology) by the "General Public".

This is what needs addressing by our individual actions now and by the BMFA, when they get to officially discuss it on our behalf.

I am sure we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, but we need to sing a lot louder!

Jef

shouldn't we all be lobbying the BMFA to represent us at this point - i.e. before its too late? I have just sent the following as an email:

FAO Dave Phipps, Chief Executive

Dear Sir,

I have just read with some alarm about recent developments in the Irish Republic where they have introduced quite restrictive legislation to the flying of drones and small unmanned aircraft (i.e. RC model aircraft). It appears that they have not made any distinction between any of these types of aircraft and as a result all fliers of model aircraft (in the Irish Republic) over 1 kg must be registered as drone users, and amongst other things may not fly higher than 120m or further away from the operator than 300m.

see Barcs forum thread  for more info https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/5819-this-looks-very-worrying/

The implications for most RC fliers of anything other than indoor and small park fliers are serious. But in particular for instance, consider thermal soaring, where models must range far and wide to find lift, most of which will be above 120m and further away than 300m!

If the powers that be are considering these issues over here, then surely now is the time that we should all be writing to the relevant authorities/our MPs to ensure that a distinction between such diverse RC aircraft as thermal soarers and camera-carrying quadcopters is made to allow the users of traditional model aircraft that have pursued their hobby for the most part responsibly and without serious problems for around 100 years to continue to do so.

Can you clarify whether or not you are involved in such discussions? Are you able to offer any reassurance that our hobby is being protected?

It seems to me that you are in the ideal position to urge every BMFA member to write to the relevant persons to ensure we are not all restricted to the same limitations as drones. You could supply some suitable background information or a letter template to maximise the response and to ensure that we are taken seriously. I am sure that if you wrote to every member explaining the seriousness of the situation regarding the future of our hobby the response would be enormous and could not be ignored by legislators.

Thank you. I look forward to your response with interest.

Yours sincerely, etc.

11 hours ago, Robin Sleight said:

As I said in my posting yesterday, this topic will be discussed at the BMFA Executive Committee meeting this coming Friday.  I have already submitted a written note to all members summarising the issues raised in this forum and Dave Phipps or Manny (or whoever) will better be able to state what the BMFA are doing/intend to do following discussions this week end.  Of course this is only one topic needing discussion albeit a very important one.

Robin

As Pete says this issue far outweighs any other issues the bmfa has to deal with at the moment. 

The bmfa needs to devote maximum time and energy to it.  Things like the national flying centre become irrelevant if the hobby essential ceases to exist as we know it. 

• Like 2