This Looks very Worrying

EssexBOF

1 hour ago, Ikura said:

......the use of drones is going to be very limited......

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

• Like 1

Fletch, my thoughts are with you. I had a stroke just under two years ago while flying my planes in France, and the family came over to collect me.

I am still without much movement in my right arm and leg and that is a problem being right handed, but I'll keep at it!

Peter

Wish mine was physical, I possibly could adapt. But, its visual and you need sight most of all. One good thing is I  don't suffer from the visual hallucinations like some do. I just get a bright blue LED dancing around in my right peripheral vision.

23 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Buster 46

Don't be disheartened, where there's a will, there's a way

Personally, I think the future lies in local competitions now, but mainly in just going ahead and holding comps, until someone actually tries to stop you, then asking them where their authority to stop you comes from and fighting that on a case by case basis......

Oh and don't bother with the BMFA there's not a lot they can do now

IMHO we're doing far too much accepting these rules and helping others to enforce them.........time now for a bit of civil disobedience I'd say:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

That sounds like the only sensible option and I support it wholeheartedly.

Good on you Pete.

By the way, you should never have sold your Kranich.

As far as I am concerned then, as all my models are <7kg, and none have FPV, my hobby activities are not affected by the laws being applied to drones from 30/7/18.

Excellent.

• Like 2

I'm very surprised but delighted that the BMFA managed to achieve this. However, as nearly all my models are over 7kg I guess it still means I am subject to the 400 feet restriction FROM SURFACE not from launch point which is still a major problem. I guess I'll have to assume all my models went on a miraculous diet?!..

Simon

This is no different than before and was clarified in the handbook viz

"at a height of more than 400 ft above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paras (a) or (b) and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace (i.e. in any uncontrolled airspace. A further point is that ‘above the surface’ means ‘above the point of launch from the ground’ and this has been clarified with the CAA on several occasions – Ed)."

But it might be worth checking again.

That's not what the official CAA diagram shows Frank.  I'd love to be wrong but the diagram shows the 400 foot restriction following the contours of the slope.

image.thumb.png.ea8486329a24bab9603a7b250d6131e0.png

and if your not a member of the BMFA SAA LMA or FPVUK  your stuck with 400ft .............visiting foreign pilots be ware ...........😗

• Like 1

This is really good news, I am so happy to hear they have not penalised us.

My powered club just sent out the new CAA exemption.

But let us take note of their warning in Point 4 - If we see or hear about any FPV/camera drone operator operating illegally then we need to police / report (to whom?) as we need to reinforce the differences between their unsafe operation and our safe operation of 'drones'.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

and if your not a member of the BMFA SAA LMA or FPVUK  your stuck with 400ft .............visiting foreign pilots be ware ...........😗

lol will give us Brits and advantage on the 30sec climb out 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sloper said:

lol will give us Brits and advantage on the 30sec climb out 😁

it never occured to me at all Rich .............keep that Berchi bloke away ..😂😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, swarrans said:

I'm very surprised but delighted that the BMFA managed to achieve this. However, as nearly all my models are over 7kg I guess it still means I am subject to the 400 feet restriction FROM SURFACE not from launch point which is still a major problem. I guess I'll have to assume all my models went on a miraculous diet?!..

Simon

Over 7 k models have had this restriction for years now.

This is clearly excellent news and all the relevant modelling organisations deserve a big pat on the back for managing to achieve these exemptions.

I'm also pleased that the exemptions applies to only members of those same organisations. This should have the effect of encouraging more model fliers members to join those organisation with the added bonus of having more fliers fully covered with insurance.

Will not visitors be covered by entering a bmfa 'official' competition under the auspices of the organising committee or club?  I expect the same would have to apply to our aerotowing with scale gliders?  Oof course the insurance details would be checked.

Or would a 'no deal' Brexit stop all the entante cordial between European countries?

Indeed, it is very good news..  Like all here, I am delighted - not only that the exemption has been granted but also there is no (apart from proximity to aerodromes) location restrictions.

Very well done to the BMFA and all those involved

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think we all owe a vote of thanks to the BMFA for their work behind the scenes for achieving this result.

This exemption allows us all to carry on with our model flying as usual.

Very well done BMFA!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1