EssexBOF

This Looks very Worrying

Jef Ott

Thank you Danny.

AnthonyB

The PDF I posted earlier......

I read many years ago that Germany had school children doing model planes as part of their education.

The posted PDF was found whilst looking for the original.

I did not know that Japan joined in. (As did Russia)

2 of the top manufacturing nations, on this planet, (post war) being Germany and Japan.

As a teaching aid, model planes are probably the very best prop available. So much can be learned about maths, engineering and physics.

This morning on BBC radio 4 it was stated that they are again going to test children …. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35216318

What freaking planet are these clowns on – 11 year olds ? When I was 7, if I could not have done all my tables I would have hid my head in shame.

chiloschista

In Italy, ENAC just came out with the new regulation:

https://www.enac.gov.it/La_Normativa/Normativa_Enac/Regolamenti/Regolamenti_ad_hoc/info-122671512.html

Sorry in italian, but Google helps.

Btw they make a clear distinction between RPAS and Flying models, but flying models are allowed only up to 70m height and not at night.

Ric

Reggles

Like your letter to your MP Danny. Maybe it's time we all start writing similar letters to our own MPs!

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Reggles

Not yet mate, once the National Body has received notice of exactly what is to be restricted as regards drones, that's when the objections can and should be raised

You never know, they might be able to agree a specific exemption for "Radio-controlled model aircraft, both powered and gliders, used for recreation or sporting purposes only" 

Stranger things have happened

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Jef Ott

I disagree, I think it is better to let the MPs know now what their voters want protecting from external legislation.

Steve J

I wrote to MP before Christmas asking him to ensure that the interests of people who have been flying model aircraft safely and lawfully for years are taken into account when the government reviews the regulations governing unmanned aircraft and have had a reply to say that he has written to the Department for Transport.

Steve

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi all

Well done SteveJ

Jef, I'm not saying don't approach your MP I'm just saying not yet......

We still don't know what we are faced with in the UK yet, the subject matter is very technical and there are already lines of communication in place with the bodies controlling and regulating our airspace

As SteveJ's MP has done, the first thing your MP will want is clarification of what the "other side" are doing and what their recommendations are, IMO this is not the time to approach the "sledgehammer to crack the nut"

An MP is approached daily on a wide variety of different subjects and has to prioritise time spent on anything to get maximum return on his time, when he's worrying about Europe, the floods, social mobility, devolvement, airport expansion etc etc you know the problem you are bringing to him is not going to be in his top ten priorities any time soon, is it?

Then again - it's only my opinion

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Danny Chapman

I can see the argument that it's not a good idea to nag our MPs before we really know the situation. However, I feel more strongly that there's more to be lost by waiting too long than by acting a little too soon (though I should have waited until after the Christmas break!).

In addition, perhaps there's an MP who was once actively involved in aero-modelling, and this will prompt them to take an active interest in something they might otherwise reasonably (but wrongly!) assume would not have affected this activity.

And finally, whilst I hope the BMFA are going to fight hard for us, it might be that those of use significantly affected (beyond a 1-off registration fee) are pretty small fry amongst the BMFA membership, and in any case, all my flying is done independently of clubs. It would be a hollow victory for me personally if, for example, authorisations were made for unlimited height flying only at BMFA affiliated club sites. 

• Like 1

Woodstock

Definitely a good time to lobby your MP's.  The squeaky wheel gets the oil, so the more of a nuisance you make of yourself the better.

• Like 2

Jef Ott
1 hour ago, RamJam 53 said:

Anyone read this?. Apologies if I am going over old ground. http://dronespublicdialogue.co.uk/. I got it off the CAA website. 

An interesting find. 

Our use of model aircraft for recreation and sport is very poorly observed (arguably completely overlooked) in this document, in the "Current Use of Drones" (to use their inaccurate terminology) by the "General Public".

This is what needs addressing by our individual actions now and by the BMFA, when they get to officially discuss it on our behalf.

I am sure we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, but we need to sing a lot louder!

Jef

Cengiz

shouldn't we all be lobbying the BMFA to represent us at this point - i.e. before its too late? I have just sent the following as an email:

FAO Dave Phipps, Chief Executive

Dear Sir,

I have just read with some alarm about recent developments in the Irish Republic where they have introduced quite restrictive legislation to the flying of drones and small unmanned aircraft (i.e. RC model aircraft). It appears that they have not made any distinction between any of these types of aircraft and as a result all fliers of model aircraft (in the Irish Republic) over 1 kg must be registered as drone users, and amongst other things may not fly higher than 120m or further away from the operator than 300m.

see Barcs forum thread  for more info https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/5819-this-looks-very-worrying/

The implications for most RC fliers of anything other than indoor and small park fliers are serious. But in particular for instance, consider thermal soaring, where models must range far and wide to find lift, most of which will be above 120m and further away than 300m!

If the powers that be are considering these issues over here, then surely now is the time that we should all be writing to the relevant authorities/our MPs to ensure that a distinction between such diverse RC aircraft as thermal soarers and camera-carrying quadcopters is made to allow the users of traditional model aircraft that have pursued their hobby for the most part responsibly and without serious problems for around 100 years to continue to do so.

Can you clarify whether or not you are involved in such discussions? Are you able to offer any reassurance that our hobby is being protected?

It seems to me that you are in the ideal position to urge every BMFA member to write to the relevant persons to ensure we are not all restricted to the same limitations as drones. You could supply some suitable background information or a letter template to maximise the response and to ensure that we are taken seriously. I am sure that if you wrote to every member explaining the seriousness of the situation regarding the future of our hobby the response would be enormous and could not be ignored by legislators.

Thank you. I look forward to your response with interest.

Yours sincerely, etc.

pete beadle

Hi all

The Model Engineer Exhibition is at Alexandra Palace in ten days time, personally,I think that would be the ideal time to ask Manny Williamson, face to face, exactly what the BMFA are doing for us all, regarding this matter, at present

I think that'd be a good start, what do you all think?

Regards

Pete

BARCS170-2

Robin Sleight

As I said in my posting yesterday, this topic will be discussed at the BMFA Executive Committee meeting this coming Friday.  I have already submitted a written note to all members summarising the issues raised in this forum and Dave Phipps or Manny (or whoever) will better be able to state what the BMFA are doing/intend to do following discussions this week end.  Of course this is only one topic needing discussion albeit a very important one.

Robin

Jef Ott

Thanks Robin.

:thumbsup:

pete beadle

Hi Robin

My thanks also for your reply

Does your reply then mean that, once the committee has agreed what to do on this particular "topic", BMFA members can and will be informed of what you've agreed?

Personally, I think this subject is the biggest single threat to recreational and sport model flying there has ever been, and how and what the BMFA will doing on our behalf is the most important thing BMFA members, and BARCS members, need to know - and as soon as possible

Personally, I would also hope this means Manny WILL have the answers I/we need at the BMFA stand at the ME, no?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702   

• Like 1

satinet
11 hours ago, Robin Sleight said:

As I said in my posting yesterday, this topic will be discussed at the BMFA Executive Committee meeting this coming Friday.  I have already submitted a written note to all members summarising the issues raised in this forum and Dave Phipps or Manny (or whoever) will better be able to state what the BMFA are doing/intend to do following discussions this week end.  Of course this is only one topic needing discussion albeit a very important one.

Robin

As Pete says this issue far outweighs any other issues the bmfa has to deal with at the moment. 

The bmfa needs to devote maximum time and energy to it.  Things like the national flying centre become irrelevant if the hobby essential ceases to exist as we know it. 

• Like 2

EssexBOF

t will be interesting to see if they the FAA do re open clubs as this extract says?

Last week the FAA sent an email to the Academy of Model Aircraft, asking the group to shut down all clubs that operate within a 30-mile radius of Reagan National Airport.

“We are hearing reports that some individuals may be flying … even though they know it is in violation of the current airspace restrictions,” Brian Throop, manager of the FAA’s special operations security group, wrote to the AMA and several flying clubs in the region.

“We are asking for your help in spreading the word to the National Capital Region model aircraft community that such activity is subject to enforcement action.”

Several clubs have posted notices at their facilities, and on their websites and social media sites that the FAA has requested all flying operations be discontinued.

According to Motherboard,  the AMA told clubs it expected the FAA to reopen the local clubs sometime in mid-January, and said it is working with the agency to get special permission to continue operations.

swarrans
2 hours ago, satinet said:

As Pete says this issue far outweighs any other issues the bmfa has to deal with at the moment. 

The bmfa needs to devote maximum time and energy to it.  Things like the national flying centre become irrelevant if the hobby essential ceases to exist as we know it. 

+1

Needs to be a meeting with just one agenda item on it IMHO.  

Whilst we're on the subject though, I strongly object to any of my bmfa subs being used in the potential purchase or lease of a National Flying Centre as by definition it would only be of use to a very small number of the fee paying members - shouldn't we all have a vote? (I know I'll be told that it is the elected committee's responsibility and I could come to a committee meeting etc etc.....)

I fear that even with "maximum time and energy" devoted by the bmfa to the critical point of us being lumped into the drone definition they will be a very small voice in all this - especially as it a European issue, so it is hard to imagine it will turn out any way other than negative....

However, I really want to be wrong and I think that as many of us as possible should write to our MPs and the others have done

Simon

• Like 1