EssexBOF

This Looks very Worrying

mikef
On 27 July 2018 at 14:03, pete beadle said:

....  Just thought I'd remind everyone how peaceful it used to be, before we had to worry about breaking the rules........:(

There always were rules - about endangering aircraft, property and people etc, etc - but there was general ignorance of them.  Thanks to work that has been going on since 2003  at some level, since 2015 at a high level, and is continuing now, we have the exemption we have for our model flying. The BMFA has been involved throughout and David Phipps the CEO, continues to be involved at the highest level in the Europe-wide negotiations that continue.  Potential future changes are monitored constantly. 

The new more-detailed rules (where BMFA members have the exemption) are a result of  the uncontrolled and wide distribution of potent gadgets to the general public in the absence of any effective general knowledge of , or enforcement of, the original rules.  BMFA tried to counter this - remember the 'drone-aware' leaflets.

The inclusion of all SUAs under one heading was imposed on the BMFA, and every other European model flying organisation, from the outside.  BMFA have achieved the exemption which makes the distinction you wanted.

In spite of the relentless, often uninformed and insulting, incoming sniper fire, the BMFA are continuing to work to protect our flying.

I'd be amazed if insurance wasn't available elsewhere - but at what cost? -  and without the vast BMFA experience to back it up.  You could theoretically go direct to the CAA for your own exemption as well, but 'snowflakes in hell' spring to mind.

BUT, as a BMFA member you get - 'insurance and much more' - and you can benefit from the exemption.

Now that the pressure has relented slightly, I hope Davd Phipps can find the time to write-up the story so far for BMFA News.

This model flyer is very grateful for what has been achieved.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Dave Elam

"I knew from the first that the BMFA were a toothless shambles of an organisation but they, as far as I know, are also the sole provider of the insurance I couldn’t and wouldn’t fly without.......  "

Yet this "toothless shambles of an organisation", along with the other organisations, have got us exemption from the 400' max altitude restriction.

Getting tired of the BMFA sniping. They do a great job, with the resources they have, and I for one will be eternally grateful that they were there, with their expertise and legal back up, when my club and its members needed them.

We are having the best flying summer for decades and it makes sense to make the most of it and enjoy our activity with the rules as they pretty much always have been.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

martynk

Dave/Mike

Very well said.. we would be in a far worse situation without the BMFA. I think that for the relative pittance we pay for our annual subs the service provided it is an absolute bargain..

• Like 3

EssexBOF
44 minutes ago, mikef said:

There always were rules - about endangering aircraft, property and people etc, etc - but there was general ignorance of them.  Thanks to work that has been going on since 2003  at some level, since 2015 at a high level, and is continuing now, we have the exemption we have for our model flying. The BMFA has been involved throughout and David Phipps the CEO, continues to be involved at the highest level in the Europe-wide negotiations that continue.  Potential future changes are monitored constantly. 

The new more-detailed rules (where BMFA members have the exemption) are a result of  the uncontrolled and wide distribution of potent gadgets to the general public in the absence of any effective general knowledge of , or enforcement of, the original rules.  BMFA tried to counter this - remember the 'drone-aware' leaflets.

The inclusion of all SUAs under one heading was imposed on the BMFA, and every other European model flying organisation, from the outside.  BMFA have achieved the exemption which makes the distinction you wanted.

In spite of the relentless, often uninformed and insulting, incoming sniper fire, the BMFA are continuing to work to protect our flying.

I'd be amazed if insurance wasn't available elsewhere - but at what cost? -  and without the vast BMFA experience to back it up.  You could theoretically go direct to the CAA for your own exemption as well, but 'snowflakes in hell' spring to mind.

BUT, as a BMFA member you get - 'insurance and much more' - and you can benefit from the exemption.

Now that the pressure has relented slightly, I hope Davd Phipps can find the time to write-up the story so far for BMFA News.

This model flyer is very grateful for what has been achieved.

As I was at the meeting yesterday, at the BMFA headquarters, as part o BARCS Committee plus the originator of this thread, i can fully concur with what Mike has written.

I was really enlightened by Dave Phipps presentation, which explained in great detail of all the negotiations that had been going on since 2003!! but has been more intense since 2015. I had no idea of the existence of the E M F G (European Model Flying Groups) for instance .

As the thread has degenerated in recent posts away from the original point, as do most threads when they run for a long time,  it might be a good Idea if it were removed by Austin and a new one started at a later date as we move on under what appears to be a resolution to the intital problem.

Remember "What the Romans did for us" from Monty python. We could substitute BMFA for Romans and say without their imput we would be in a far worse place from today. They are not perfect and have been  critic of them in the past, but in this instance, they need more praise from all as to what has been achieved.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

pete beadle

Hi all

Quote from MattyB - "That is fair enough, but if it really is such a strong held view you should give up your BMFA membership - no amount of complaining here is going to change their position" -  end of quote.

Unlike the rest of you,  who haven't been told to give up their BMFA membership, I was infuriated by MattyB's presumption in making this comment so, I would like to  apologise for my reply which, as you can see was written in haste very late at night

I used to work quite happily with the BMFA, for example organising Model Flight Week at the RAF Museum, London for many years on their behalf

Things changed when the subject of drones appeared, and I have had several disagreements with Manny Williamson, notably at the ME two years ago, regarding this, where we had to agree to disagree, because I was objecting so strongly, to the inclusion of drone flyers into the BMFA.

Can I apologise to all BARCS members, and BARCS forum members, for not making it clear that, on this one subject, I was NEVER going to agree with the BMFA management on how they appeared to be dealing with what I considered was the single greatest threat to model flying in the UK ever......

I apologise wholeheartedly to anyone who thinks I went too far in my responses and assure you that, as Brian suggested, this apology will be the last posting I make on this subject and that , for me anyway, I agree this subject is now closed

Thanks and regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Austin

Topic locked. For historical purposes I won't delete it, but it will eventually drop away.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1