EssexBOF

This Looks very Worrying

Sloper
3 minutes ago, Steve J said:

Not true. Agriculture is seen as a big market.

SESAR Drone Outlook Study

Steve

sorry wrong choice of wording 🤔 mainly urban maybe.....

Sloper
17 hours ago, swarrans said:

I think the risk to our normal slope flying habits depends on where you fly.  If you fly off a slope owned by the National Trust or Council and particularly if it it shared by paragliders I think the risk is quite high .  OK it's unlikely that the Police will be turning up but if the landowners say "no flying" it would make life very difficult and paragliders dobbing you in won't help either (odd that they pose no risk flying at whatever height they like isn't it?!)

One of my main worries is, Ive spoke with a few colleagues on the F3F circuit, when you consider a venue like the bwlch,  i think we would be flying illegally i.e. the wrecker slope and the VR slope being so close to the road and public area

Eamon

I understand everyones position on this and the arguments around intent, but from the position of a newcomer to this, who wishes to compete in F5J internationally at some point, I am unclear as to how we can compete when pour launch height already breaches the limit this ANO sets.

For hobby pilots who fly locally, I cannot see how this will be enforced.  

But for competitions, we will have a record and that will be suitable for proof in law, so what do the BFMA and BARCS intend to do there, as from next week, these competitions will be illegal? Or is that a sick bird??

Eamon

Fletch

In the spirit of 'enlightened self interest' I'm sure that Buckminster, with its NOTAM enduring height exemption, will serve its privileged future clientele well. The rest of us, the great unwashed masses, will be left to our own devices. It could prove a model for a handful of other  sites around the country for those of determination and DEEP POCKETS.

pete beadle

Hi Eamon

I think, for maximum impact,  your post should have been addressed to the BMFA, and the reply (or most likely non-reply) should then have been forwarded to us.....

Just a thought........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Eamon

Pete,

Please tell me where to send it and I will.

I appreciate that I am late to this argument, but am seriously concerned with the lack of information etc on this, considering it comes into effect next monday.

I for one, if this is enforced and my hobby is reduced to flying at my local fields, will leave both BARCS and the BMFA, as there will be not point in continuing my membership.

What I do with the models and kit is another issue, but this is foolish, as we are extremely well governed and safe, and there is no issue with our types of competition, which are not public events and usually flown well out of the way of anyone, let alone aircraft.

Steve J
7 minutes ago, Buster46 said:

But for competitions, we will have a record and that will be suitable for proof in law, so what do the BFMA and BARCS intend to do there, as from next week, these competitions will be illegal?

The organisers (or the hosting sites) are going to have to apply to the CAA for exemptions.

Steve

Eamon
Just now, Steve J said:

The organisers (or the hosting sites) are going to have to apply to the CAA for exemptions.

Steve,

Thanks for this, but the process of hosting a competition is already arduous, with only a limited number of pilots willing to do this.

If this additional burden is placed on them, then this will become even more difficult and may discourage individuals from doing so.

If the BMFA or BARCS were intent on this then we should really look at a blanket application at the beginning of each year, to remove the pressure from individuals.

I am not clear on the process to do this, but from the forms I have seen on the website, they are not yet suitable for such applications.

Do we know what the timescale is for the turn around of these?

I for one would be more than willing to assist with this, if it allows us to continue flying competitively, but I see nothing from the BMFA in support of this, other than a note to say "Dont Panic" in the words of Douglas Adams

If I am missing something then I apologise, but this weekend I will be flying at Little Bentley and I see noting that says we will fly after that.  

regards

Eamon

Fletch

Had a stroke (left occipital intracranial haemorrhage) 3 weeks back affecting my vision. V difficult and slow to type and read. Never drive , fly or make anything again. Just eat, drink, sleep and listen to the radio. This will obviously not affect me but interested to see outcome and who comes out of the mess still able to fly.

• Sad 3

martynk

Sorry to hear that Fletch. I do hope your situation improves, it must be torture for you

Best wishes

• Sad 1

Ikura

All the best to you Fletch. What has happened to you makes all this seem rather trivial.

My uncle had a similar stroke but he fought like a dog to get things back together and he now manages to walk over an hour a day and can lead a pretty normal life, so don't give up on what you can do in the future.

Wishing you every good thing.

Fletch

Martyn, Sure is. Main brain OK along with eyes etc. Its the visual processor bit that's all jumbled up. May get slightly better with time but not a lot. Right side vision in both eyes is missing, jumbled and distorted. Keep walking into things on my right and knocking things over. Went out with the wife Saturday, SCARY. Dare not leave the house on my own as I could walk out in front of a car whilst crossing road. God, this is bloody hard work.

paul w
1 hour ago, Ikura said:

......the use of drones is going to be very limited......

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

• Like 1

PeterT

Fletch, my thoughts are with you. I had a stroke just under two years ago while flying my planes in France, and the family came over to collect me.

I am still without much movement in my right arm and leg and that is a problem being right handed, but I'll keep at it!

Peter

Fletch

Wish mine was physical, I possibly could adapt. But, its visual and you need sight most of all. One good thing is I  don't suffer from the visual hallucinations like some do. I just get a bright blue LED dancing around in my right peripheral vision.

pete beadle

Hi Fletch

My stroke occurred back in 2005

As a result of the amazing work done by the Northwick Park Hospital Stroke Unit (now closed due to government cuts) and to the  physical and occupational therapists of the Barnet Area Health Authority I now at least look, and act like a reasonably normal person

Try to keep a positive if you can, maybe join a stroke club, but definitely go back to your local Stroke Unit and see what they can do for you

Good luck and best wishes for the future.........and keep fighting it!..........

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi Buster 46

Don't be disheartened, where there's a will, there's a way

Personally, I think the future lies in local competitions now, but mainly in just going ahead and holding comps, until someone actually tries to stop you, then asking them where their authority to stop you comes from and fighting that on a case by case basis......

Oh and don't bother with the BMFA there's not a lot they can do now

IMHO we're doing far too much accepting these rules and helping others to enforce them.........time now for a bit of civil disobedience I'd say:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Ikura
23 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Buster 46

Don't be disheartened, where there's a will, there's a way

Personally, I think the future lies in local competitions now, but mainly in just going ahead and holding comps, until someone actually tries to stop you, then asking them where their authority to stop you comes from and fighting that on a case by case basis......

Oh and don't bother with the BMFA there's not a lot they can do now

IMHO we're doing far too much accepting these rules and helping others to enforce them.........time now for a bit of civil disobedience I'd say:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

That sounds like the only sensible option and I support it wholeheartedly.

Good on you Pete.

By the way, you should never have sold your Kranich.

• Like 1

Jef Ott

As far as I am concerned then, as all my models are <7kg, and none have FPV, my hobby activities are not affected by the laws being applied to drones from 30/7/18.

Excellent.

• Like 2