EssexBOF

This Looks very Worrying

swarrans

I'm very surprised but delighted that the BMFA managed to achieve this. However, as nearly all my models are over 7kg I guess it still means I am subject to the 400 feet restriction FROM SURFACE not from launch point which is still a major problem. I guess I'll have to assume all my models went on a miraculous diet?!..

Simon

FrankS

This is no different than before and was clarified in the handbook viz

"at a height of more than 400 ft above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paras (a) or (b) and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace (i.e. in any uncontrolled airspace. A further point is that ‘above the surface’ means ‘above the point of launch from the ground’ and this has been clarified with the CAA on several occasions – Ed)."

But it might be worth checking again.

swarrans

That's not what the official CAA diagram shows Frank.  I'd love to be wrong but the diagram shows the 400 foot restriction following the contours of the slope.

image.thumb.png.ea8486329a24bab9603a7b250d6131e0.png

Andy_B

and if your not a member of the BMFA SAA LMA or FPVUK  your stuck with 400ft .............visiting foreign pilots be ware ...........😗

• Like 1

Lloyd_d

This is really good news, I am so happy to hear they have not penalised us.

My powered club just sent out the new CAA exemption.

But let us take note of their warning in Point 4 - If we see or hear about any FPV/camera drone operator operating illegally then we need to police / report (to whom?) as we need to reinforce the differences between their unsafe operation and our safe operation of 'drones'.

• Like 1

Sloper
57 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

and if your not a member of the BMFA SAA LMA or FPVUK  your stuck with 400ft .............visiting foreign pilots be ware ...........😗

lol will give us Brits and advantage on the 30sec climb out 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andy_B
6 minutes ago, Sloper said:

lol will give us Brits and advantage on the 30sec climb out 😁

it never occured to me at all Rich .............keep that Berchi bloke away ..😂😂

• Haha 2

EssexBOF
3 hours ago, swarrans said:

I'm very surprised but delighted that the BMFA managed to achieve this. However, as nearly all my models are over 7kg I guess it still means I am subject to the 400 feet restriction FROM SURFACE not from launch point which is still a major problem. I guess I'll have to assume all my models went on a miraculous diet?!..

Simon

Over 7 k models have had this restriction for years now.

Dave Elam

This is clearly excellent news and all the relevant modelling organisations deserve a big pat on the back for managing to achieve these exemptions.

I'm also pleased that the exemptions applies to only members of those same organisations. This should have the effect of encouraging more model fliers members to join those organisation with the added bonus of having more fliers fully covered with insurance.

Weysoar

Will not visitors be covered by entering a bmfa 'official' competition under the auspices of the organising committee or club?  I expect the same would have to apply to our aerotowing with scale gliders?  Oof course the insurance details would be checked.

Or would a 'no deal' Brexit stop all the entante cordial between European countries?

Eamon

Result!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

martynk

Indeed, it is very good news..  Like all here, I am delighted - not only that the exemption has been granted but also there is no (apart from proximity to aerodromes) location restrictions.

Very well done to the BMFA and all those involved

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SteveH

I think we all owe a vote of thanks to the BMFA for their work behind the scenes for achieving this result.

This exemption allows us all to carry on with our model flying as usual.

Very well done BMFA!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sloper
Just now, SteveH said:

I think we all owe a vote of thanks to the BMFA for their work behind the scenes for achieving this result.

This exemption allows us all to carry on with our model flying as usual.

Very well done BMFA!

Yes a result, restoring my faith somewhat, lets hope they continue to achieve and protect, this is the first step. 

• Like 1

swarrans
1 hour ago, EssexBOF said:

Over 7 k models have had this restriction for years now.

Not from the surface they haven't - it was from LAUNCH POINT.  Perhaps you haven't appreciated the potential significance of the new CAA diagram?

However, talking to other experienced flyers I think the general take is that  as it is pretty much impossible to measure FROM THE SURFACE and therefore police it we should ignore it and continue to fly slope soarers restricted to 400ft from launch point

Kikapu
34 minutes ago, martynk said:

Indeed, it is very good news..  Like all here, I am delighted - not only that the exemption has been granted but also there is no (apart from proximity to aerodromes) location restrictions.

Very well done to the BMFA and all those involved

Tell them yourselves.  Can't see any reason why you shouldn't email them to express your thanks.  
Dave Phipps' email address is:  david@bmfa.org

Peter Ley

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

swarrans

Tell them yourselves.  Can't see any reason why you shouldn't email them to express your thanks.  

I just emailed Dave and he replied immediately.  He acknowledges the change for over 7kg models and suggested looking into an exemption for our slope sites (which he has done) so I'll look into it.  I'm very impressed they managed to do this - I confess I had little hope!!

Simon 

pete beadle

Hi all

When I read the BMFA press notice/bulletin  it said "permission" rather than "exemption". Could that be important?

Anyone know what the difference is?

I don't want us all to be celebrating too quickly, do you?:no:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

martynk
1 hour ago, Kikapu said:

Peter Ley

I have done that. Thanks