EssexBOF

This Looks very Worrying

Sloper
12 minutes ago, martynk said:

What is a Drone? Do ministers ever learn? 

Here we go round the mulberry bust etc.  🤬

a battle was won.... but the war will continue 😵

• Like 1

Steve J
2 hours ago, oipigface said:

Is it time to change the name of this thread to 'This no longer looks worrying at all'?

Our access to airspace above 400ft is dependent on a permission from the CAA that can be revoked at any time.

The government are only just getting started with U-space and all that that entails.

I for one will be responding to the consultation that was published today and one of my comments will be that recreational SUA operators/pilots should be protected in primary legislation, i.e. the coming 'Drone Bill'.

Steve

• Like 2

Weysoar

Having gained a permission to do what we were allowed to do before this riduculous law does not feel like a victory.  As commercial needs impinge on the freespace in the air I do not feel confident we will come out well in future ammendments.

Steve J
4 hours ago, martynk said:

What is a Drone?

In the context of this consultation, a 'drone' is an unmanned aircraft. The Air Navigation Order 2016 (ANO) defines "small unmanned aircraft" (SUA) as "any unmanned aircraft, other than a balloon or a kite, having a mass of not more than 20kg without its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight."

7 hours ago, pete beadle said:

the reply was from a source who wishes to remain nameless, but who regularly reads this forum

@Andy Symons ?

Steve

Phil.Taylor

Great news !

Join BMFA to carry on flying !

Pay us money & you can fly higher than the drones !

Phil.

on a slope somewhere, close to the edge...

• Like 2

Steve J

From the impact assessment published yesterday -

policy.thumb.jpg.ed581a25bafc51ab15dd8bfca1f3d1c3.jpg

Steve

pete beadle

Hi all

Didn't take long for their true colours to be run up the mast did it? Not even 31st July yet........

D'you know, I'm already pitying the poor bobbies who are going to be tasked with the enforcement

"Offenders will be punished" says it all doesn't it?......not, these amendments will increase safety and reduce the chances of accidents occurring...........

I wonder if the Met Police will be advertising internally for "Cadets intending to join the new Drone Police" shortly, coming soon to a postcode near you soon!

Hey Ho!

Pete

BARCS1702

tonym

The police will need training - not all police though 😉

A pilot should always keep his eyes on the 'drone', not even glancing at the officer who might be standing in front of him, maybe right in his face!

The police need to know that certain types of 'drone' cannot just be brought down to ground quickly on command.

I'm sure there are other safety aspects that need looking at regarding LE officers' interactions with pilots flying a 'drone'.

andyharrold

breathe out........and relax.

See you on a hillside soon.

andy

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Have they got to the bit about "must have the pilots BMFA No. on the plane" yet?

and - "must carry BMFA card" ?

Phil.

card carrying member

• Like 1

Weysoar

Thats next years job!

• Like 1

Steve J
21 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Have they got to the bit about "must have the pilots BMFA No. on the plane"

Yes. ANO article 94D(2)(b) -

the SUA operator’s registration number is displayed on the aircraft in the manner (if any) that is prescribed.

Yesterday's consultation suggests (6.11.9) that you will have seven days to present your papers at a police station if required to do so.

Steve

pete beadle

Hi all

Just thought I'd remind everyone how peaceful it used to be, before we had to worry about breaking the rules........:(

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

21st June 2018 001.JPG

• Like 1

oipigface

4 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi all

Just thought I'd remind everyone how peaceful it used to be, before we had to worry about breaking the rules........:(

Oh, come on! There never were any such days. I can remember having to fork out annually for a license to transmit! Given the extra pressure that it is expected will be placed on airspace by the commercial use of drones, the new rules seem to me to be quite sensible. 

pete beadle

Really oipigface?

You're actually comparing the need for a licence to transmit with all this!

and "the new rules seem quire sensible" - so sensible you have to be forced, on pain of prosecution, to comply with them!

Seeing as the " extra pressure that is expected will be placed on airspace by the commercial use of drones" is caused by these new users themselves, that comment doesn't ring quite true either........

And finally"Oh come on! There never were any such days" .........spoken quite obviously by a "younger person", who isn't old enough to have lived through the halcyon days of model flying, and especially the wonder that was BARCS Open competition........

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Richard Swindells

Pete,

Whenever there is a spare half hour, I can pick up my glider, walk 200 yards to the nearest football pitch, and fly as high as I want. 

I couldn't do that 30 years ago in the "golden"(?) days of soaring.

I can go on the internet, find a soaring competition just about any weekend... send a quick email and go fly there, without needing to arrange a team, send off postal entries etc etc

I travel round europe entering the same class of competition wherever I go. I can keep in contact with the friends I make from competitions all over the world and share ideas and experiences

I can use the internet to research the best models, equipment, ideas currently available. I can buy and sell models, and parts to a global market. 

Of course there will always be some stuck in the past, unable to move with the times or understand that there are new experiences and opportunities to be embraced (ever flown FPV gliders? ). 

Yes, legislation has to also change and adapt... but the simple fact is that you can go out and fly exactly the same as you did 30 years ago.... its just most of us have moved on. 

• Thanks 5

oipigface
11 hours ago, pete beadle said:

And finally"Oh come on! There never were any such days" .........spoken quite obviously by a "younger person", who isn't old enough to have lived through the halcyon days of model flying, and especially the wonder that was BARCS Open competition........

Not so young that I don't remember competitions. In the early 80's, when  I was involved in organising the Hull Open events, there used to be rules, and we forced competitors on pain of points penalties to comply with them. Bit like the transmitter licence: not having one was punishable by a fine. Bit like a non-member of BMFA flying over 400ft......

pete beadle

Hi Richard

As you pointed out, often, in your reply the Internet is the first place you start when you look for other soaring venues, competitions and soarers

I don't need to tell you that Internet access wasn't readily available in the Golden Years, do I?

What was available was a large network of model shops supporting the hobby, competitions every weekend, often with fields of over 100,  CD'ing my own local comp, the ISA Open, which was attended regularly by 70 or 80 competitors, today you'd be very lucky to get 30. Then there were the BARCS Open Leagues , filled with characters, many of which actually made the models they competed with themselves so, no, I have no problem with saying that, I personally, don't think things have actually got better in the intervening years - indeed, IMHO they've got worse.....

Of course there will always be some stuck in the past, unable to move with the times, I agree, trouble is, my own personal experience of BARCS competitions provides me with such a large and rich pool/databank(?) of information showing me personally, that what we had then, needed to be preserved in our memories - it's a basis of comparison that needs to be available to BARCS members today, not disparaged as irrelevant, and thrown away

Each year I run the ISA Nostalgia Day, I see the  pleasure the attendees get from flying the planes they used back in the day, revisiting the days of their youth, and feeling all the better for it

I don't object to moving on Richard, I just want to preserve the fond memories I have of the time and not consign them to the dustbin of history just yet

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

andyharrold

Pete,         Nostalgia is nothing like  it used to be.  A cheap joke I know but also one that carries some weight.

On a  visit to Ivinghoe I would normally expect to see  the occasional "stick and tissue" model. 

If this retro modelling was so popular the sky would be full of them. 

People enjoy your annual day of balsa but they then return said model to the loft and grab their Ahi or Wasabi.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Andy

Quote - "If this retro modelling was so popular the sky would be full of them" 

Unfortunately I have to answer your comment with a few facts that rather complicate the basis of your statement, starting with the simple fact that very few flyers build the models they fly any more.  Many more just don't have any of the practical skills required to build them. There is also the currently important factor of speed, from wallet to flight, to consider. Just as children have thought for generations, if they can't get it NOW they don't want it - Very few of these nostalgic models are available quickly, even in kit form,  and definitely not RTF, ARTF, and/or "Radio Ready"

I was told off several years ago when I said, in print, in one of my columns, in a mag that is no longer with us,  that I thought this generation, mainly including the "Baby Boomers" were the last generation of builders, and the next generation, was going to be the last model flyers. I still stand by this comment because it was based on provable fact. This most recent argument over these new regulations, sadly, seems to re-enforce the probability of second part of my statement coming true sooner

It really doesn't matter to me if anyone agrees with me on this, I'm going to be long gone when other , younger, members begin to realise that model flying, including nostalgic model flying,  has gone the way of all life and come to it's natural end....doesn't stop me thinking it'll be a shame though.......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702