Design data needed

Ribs

Hello F3x people,

I'm working on a little design project, to come up with a dedicated set-up stand for f3f and f3b and maybe also f3j models.

One aspect of it may allow super easy measurement and set up of CoG, integrated with the stand.

I would be really grateful if people could share with me some design data, to help with the fine tuning of my ideas. Specifically

1. Approx Range of CoG for your F3f/F3b/F3j model. Ball park figures needed - no need to give away your winning edge ;-). At the moment I am working on 95mm +/-10mm - would this cover most competition models?

2. Range of flying weight would be very useful for stiffness and strength requirements.

3. Wing chord if you know it - there are a lot of good drawings out there, so this parameter is something that is reasonably easy for me to gather.

4. Fuselage width and depth, behind the wing TE.

This list is a 'nice to have' - if you can just share the CoG range , that would be great.

many thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

1. Approx Range of CoG for your F3f/F3b/F3j model. Ball park figures needed - no need to give away your winning edge ;-). At the moment I am working on 95mm +/-10mm - would this cover most competition models?

Furthest back I have gone on an f3f model is 113mm, so I would extend you range a little.

2. Range of flying weight would be very useful for stiffness and strength requirements.

Maximum for any f3x discipline is 5Kg all up weight.

My CG may well be shifting through the day and quite possibly due to a new bird that despite careful preperation won't be flying again anytime soon...

Merry Christmas..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

My CG may well be shifting through the day and quite possibly due to a new bird that despite careful preperation won't be flying again anytime soon...

Merry Christmas..

A bit too subtle Mike?

Simon

I would say 100mm is about an average cg for an f3b/f plane but not for an f3j/f5j plane.  The design of f3b and f3j models has diverged a lot since the days of models like the cobra or ellipse etc.

The cg on x2 was about 120mm. The root chord was quite a bit wider than an f3b model.  The wing span of the f3j stuff is often touching 4m, so they are just bigger planes. 

• Administrators

For F3J

You need a fairly wide range. Latest designs like the new Xplorer 3 have the CofG from 125mm - 135mm.

Around 95mm - 135mm should allow for most of them old and new.

Flying weights would be around 1600g - 2700g