Sign in to follow this  
Bob Dickenson

John Whitaker

Bob Dickenson

Sadly, I have to report the passing of a very good friend of ours & BARCS. John Whitaker passed away on New Years Eve after a fairly protracted battle with Parkinson's disease. 

For those of you who don't know, John was a founder member of BARCS, & being a bank manager, was roped into being BARCS treasurer for most of BARCS heyday.

I first got to know John in the mid 80's. He was one of my mentors as I found my way into the thermal soaring competition scene-- I had found a kindred spirit in that he was seriously competetive while still being the most helpful & information sharig person that you could wish to meet.

For those who may wish to attend, his funeral will be on the morning of january 13th at Harrogate. I will pass on more detail when I have it.

This will mark the passing of a true English Gentleman.

Bob Dickenson

• Like 2

Austin

there is an appreciation from Denis Oglesby that was sent to me by Robin posted on the front page yesterday.

oipigface

As well as his role in BARCS, John was also active in the Hull Area RCS (which later became the Beverley and District MAC). This would have been in the early to mid- 80's, when I was secretary of the club. He served for several years as treasurer, and was a very reliable committee member. I remember him having a bit of a bee in his bonnet about vintage gliders, but most valuable, I thought was his support of the silent flight section of the club, which at times ran very low on numbers.

• Like 1