GBR flyers in California.

mikef

There are 7 from GBR  flying at Lost Hills in an FAI event.  Ken Faux and Alan Jack are still in F1C fly-off and will go for 10 minutes at sunrise on Sunday.  The picture below shows Ken launching his flapper on a test flight.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks Mike

I've seen the F1B & Q results on SEN, but only spotted Phil Ball's name in B - no Mike W or Russell.

Anyway, I note you started the topic 5 hours ago - can't you sleep? :D

Peter

Mike Woodhouse isn't coming, Mike Woolner and Russell Peers are expected later in the week.

Minis today but no spectacular results.  Chris Edge got to the fly-off in F1H but didn't make it to the second fly-off.  Brian Lavis made 4:02 in F1H in the first round at about 08:30 but spoil this score by dropping the last round.

In the final F1C fly-off, soon after sunrise this morning, Ken Faux had a problem with an over-length brake line and binding shaft and failed to get away.  Alan Jack had an over-run too near the end of the 10 minute period to get another flight in.  They ended in joint 5th I think.  Two more contests to go on this trip.  The wining score was over 7 minutes off the new 4 second engine run.  There were fears that the 4 second run would prove to be a killer but it seems to be quite OK.

The early morning F1A fly-off was won with an 8:21.  These modern F1As are getting over 100 metres off a 50 metre line -some are claiming 120 metres.

See SEN for full details.

• Like 1

The legendary Eugene Verbitsky, 78 years young, with his flapped F1C - no. 93.  Many times World and European Champion and still up there.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Ken Faux's F1C front end.  Verbitsky made, with Ken's mods - including an electronic timer.  The release disc is turned by a servo under microprocessor control - all preprogrammed before launch.

The close-up shows three antennae, L to R, GPS Tx to handheld distance and direction indicator, Tx for locator beacon ( belt and braces) and Rx for radio DT system..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Do you know what happened at the Flyoff Mike? They both maxed at FO1 and zeroed on FO2

Doh - just spotted your comment above.. Sorry

On 07/02/2016 at 05:40, mikef said:

Ian Kaynes finished second in F1Q, an electric duration class.

The scores were revised according to SEN 2019 - appears that Ian won. Well done Ian Kaynes..

F1Q - Corrected

Family Name Given Name  Country Number   RoundRoundRoundRoundRoundFlyofTotal    Place
Kaynes      Ian         GBR     GBR21003   240  180  180  180  240  223    1243   1
Sitton      Shmulik     ISR     ISR-41141  240  180  180  180  240  188    1208   2

Very atmospheric Mike. Shame the BMFA cant get a flying field that big in the UK for the NFC.

I would make a donation - and probably move house to get near it

Broadband by 'phone and Motel 6 not reliable, hence apparent silence....

The Ukranian, Artem Babenko, sells a folding F1C.  Here are examples in the hands of Faust Parker USA and Artem himself.  There is also a close-up of the folded section.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

I am indeed at Free Flight Heaven, Lost Hills California.  The contests are now over.  All three Brits in F1H in first Fly-off but sadly not the second.  1and 2 Israelis and Per Findahl third.  See SEN for full results.   Mick Lester was second in F1J.

Up to 12 mph breeze today after 9 calm days!  Still excellent flying weather with wall-to-wall sunshine. 

Denny's (restaurant) wi-fi cut me off in my earlier message before I said:-

These F1C folders reach over 130 metres and then glide for almost 7 minutes in dead air.  All this from a four second maximum  motor run on 2.5 cc and straight 80/20 fuel. The three section wing folds with the narrower tip piec between the other two parts.

• Like 3