GBR flyers in California.

mikef

Mike

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself, did you fly in any of the comps? The SEN with the latest results hasn't arrived yet, but it's good to hear that Mick Lester finally got a result; from the previous results it appeared that he was having a torrid time.

I'd settle for 12 mph and warm, it was 20 mph a a trifle nippy at Beaulieu yesterday - and the heath was flooded:(

Denny's brings back old memories, principally stewed coffee and tea so weak that a cat could 'do' stronger.

I'm surprised you haven't put in any DLG 14 day Challenge times!

Hope you have a good flight home.

Peter

I love reading your international competition reports Mike. Factual and entertaining. 

Great job done yet again, I now dream of flying on proper free-flight fields.  

Please continue to do this!

Russell third in F1B AND he bought a round of beers,  Heady days!

I'm home now and going through the jet-lag/post contest come-down.  I didn't compete myself but helped the Brits where I could and met many old and new friends.  Having flown F1A in competition myself for 40 years, the latest 110 metre plus launch from a 50 metre line is simply breath-taking.  It looks like an F3K launch but starts at 50 metres!  We saw 7:46 soon after sunrise from 2009 Champion Sergey Makarov!  4:23 was enough to win the F1A champs at the same time of day at Lost Hills in October 1993.....

We enjoyed a world-standard entry from some 25 countries, including China, Australia, New Zealand and South America and ten days of Free-Flight at its best on a fantastic field in perfect weather.

During the February MaxMen Trip thirty years ago, my girlfriend agreed to be my wife on Valentine's Day and I also won the F1A event so it was a magic trip for those reasons too.

Glad you enjoyed the news and pictures.

• Like 3

14 Brits total and 13 were boys - stays were between 13 and 3 nights. One wife was persuaded to put up with Lost Hills for 3 nights as part of a holiday in California.  There's very little to attract a non-flyer to stay at Lost Hills - it's basically a motorway service station in the middle of nowhere!

• 11 months later...

I'm back in Lost Hills for the 'February Free-Flight Festival'.  nine from GBR here so far and three more expected.  Persistently rating today - have even tried to get onto the field as the access track will be a quagmire.  Multi-national groups clustered in various motel rooms having a technical/social chat.

There's a scramble event this time where you are allowed one model which has to be i.c. Powered and the motor has to be restarted for each flight. Very entertaining to watch the antic of the Flyers.   You can guess the country of origin of the entry below...  ( don't go by the shirt)

image.jpeg

• Like 2

After last Friday's deluge, the weather improved to its normal perfect and although getting on to the field on Saturday was extra exciting, most of the cars are covered in mud, the Gypsum company did a great job remaking the roads while we were flying.  By Saturday evening it was easy to drive off.

The first contest's results are here:-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_9jZP2lTaa7kMdf3I9FVnRE5uO9dwaUQMaj1NXbdssE/edit?usp=sharing

The Internet connection by 'phone at the field is extremely poor and unusable for me.  The Motel 6 wifi is stretched to its limit with an international crew of tech-savvy fre-flighter S knocking nine bells out of it but it does work to some extent.

The second event was yesterday in perfect weather of course :-

http://faifreeflight.us14.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0c816602b073e2c00ba0cd1d5&id=acea226ab9&e=d158abe258

The rain is expected back this afternoon (Thursday) and Friday looks like a complete loss again.  Will we get onto the field again for the Weekend?

Picture below shows John Buskell with a fifty year old George French Night Train design complete with G15.  In addition to the modern stuff, there's a vintage FAI power event.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Love that highly evocative Night Train Mike..

Get results from SEN, is there only one GBR F1A flyer (CHE)?

Edit - spotted John Cooper is there as well.

Looks like the UK.. :( Just spotted that MaxMen has been delayed until Sunday/Monday. Hope that doesn't impact too badly on your travel arrangements.

It would cost a fortune to change flights etc so those of us  due to fly back on Monday are resigned to missing the Mini day.

Saturday morning here and rain continues to fall gently so I have time and connectivity to post.

Here's a memory of last Sunday's F1A line...

image.jpeg

Phil Ball’s F1B details.

Andriukov hub, Phil's blades and views of each side of the pylon, hatches-off.  Servo timer releases arms for prop delay and pre-set rudder and elevator trim changes.  Palm Pilot programmer for timer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Rain held off today apart from a couple of light showers.  We saw heavy rain passing us at times, nearer the coastal range.  The mountains around the south end of the San Joachim valley cause some odd effects on the weather.  Hoping the morning brings a sunrise like this one last Monday...

image.jpeg

Edited by mikef

• 11 months later...

We are back at Motel 6, Lost Hills for our annual reunion in 'Free Flight Heaven'.  Eight from the UK and around 200 total from 20 countries in all.

We came in on Wednesday - see the shot below of the 405 Freeway near LAX from the Virgin Dreamliner on approach.

Wifi is poor so it's hard to get stuff posted - please excuse patchy coverage.

The second shot shows three of the Brits at the field....

First contest starts today.  Weather has been sunny with light winds mid-seventies temperatures during the day - cool overnight.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2