GBR flyers in California.

mikef

That wing has me baffled to. Carbon scalloped D Box and what's the covering it doesn't look like Icarex, quite cambered looking at the top but can't see the lower surface, the nose looks conventional or is it an LDA. The sagging must have a huge affect so I presume it's done deliberately. Big question I suppose is how did it perform.

Edit. Just noticed that the tip panel(s) appear to be less saggy so presume it's a more conventinal transitional airfoil but transitional from what?

Tony

I'll try to get more detail on the F1B today.  The flyer has no English and my Mandarin stops just after "hello".

Gary Madelin expected out from GBR to fly F1H.

Back to the Chinese F1B.  I drew what I thought was going on and showed Lu Hong, the flyer.

he changed my 2 mm guess for the balsa on top of the d-box and gave 1.8 at the root.

Here's my sketch. Mr Lu did the wing plan view between my top airfoil nose section sketch and my bottom spanwise cut A-A.

I hope this makes sense - if not I'll re-draw it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thursday evening Chinese cook-out was fun. They prepared dumplings from scratch - excellent.  Young Emily had her 9th birthday too - she speaks excellent English and was teaching us Mandarin.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Results seem to be lacking fly-offs. 

Yesterday:

F1B had 6 min and 8 min fly-offs and was won by Sevak  Malkaysan

Ken made the F1C fly-off but did 3:15 in bad air going for 6.  6 or 7 made the 6 and went for 8.  Babenko flew last and was dominant with a perfect climb off a 3.8 second run (my timing).  His air was very buoyant and he did wide 3 minute plus circles.  He DT'd at 9 and could have done 11 plus.  A truly memorable winning flight.

Tonight, F1A had about 26 go for 6 and 8/9 went for 10.  At least 4 made it.  Models were going 2.5 miles....

We go again in the morning.

I timed Aviv Balasiano this morning.  Good launch with a long flapper which then proceeded to do tight circles in what seemed to be good air.  Weird to find lift and turbulence at 0700 on this normally laminar site.  His model was chucked about quite a lot with straight bits, tight bits stalls and height-gaining circles.  Jim Parker's model was in nearly the same air but Aviv drifted away quite fast to land at 6:25 while Jim was down in not much over 3, 'upwind' relative to Aviv's flight.  We're calling Aviv "Mighty Mouse" now as his slight frame doesn't mark him out as a high launcher.

There followed the Max Men Mini Day.  It was windy and turbulent (12-15 mph).  F1H went to Per Findal.  After four maxes, he had his only model tow in after a cross-wind launch with some damage.  The joiner was ripped out of the top of the fuselage and several rib caps came loose.  Ken Faux had launched the model and was obviously feeling bad about the situation.  Ken encouraged Per to do the repairs and he got away for a fifth max to win.  Blake Jensen had four maxes and 1:28 for second.

Best news is that Brian Lavis GBR made third with 4 maxes and a 59 seconds.

image.jpeg

F1J only two entries - both USA.  Faust Parker won.   Peter Sahlberg second place.

image.jpeg

F1G was won by Abraham Baruch, Israel,  Emily from China was second (just nine!).  Third went to Richard Nouvain from France.

image.jpeg

On 16 February 2018 at 03:54, Tony said:

That wing has me baffled to. Carbon scalloped D Box and what's the covering it doesn't look like Icarex, quite cambered looking at the top but can't see the lower surface, the nose looks conventional or is it an LDA. The sagging must have a huge affect so I presume it's done deliberately. Big question I suppose is how did it perform.

Edit. Just noticed that the tip panel(s) appear to be less saggy so presume it's a more conventinal transitional airfoil but transitional from what?

Sorry for delay answering.  I hope the D-box set-up is clear from the post and sketch above.  The covering looked like a Litespan type material..  The section looked conventional around the airfoil nose.  Lu Hong did 4:49 with this model in the Kiwi,Cup.  Tony Mathews won with 8:07

The lighting exaggerated the scalloping effect.  Here's another picture.  By co-incidence that's  LDA developer Brian Eggleston in the centre background.

Lu Hong was third in the Max Men Fly-off but I don't know if he flew the same model.

image.jpeg

• 11 months later...

2019 now and it's Fab Feb once more.  There are 9 flyers from the UK here in Lost Hills, California, and a 10th is expected later.  We had a good day of test flying and acclimatisation yesterday and the first contest started today (Saturday).  The day started with a light rain that had been going, on and off, since the early hours.  Getting onto the field and driving nearly a mile to the sight was a slippery process..  It was announced at the 0700 briefing that the rain would stop at 0800 and that the event would start at 0900.  That proved correct and we enjoyed a mainly sunny day with winds between calm and 10mph.

The results are here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTzz5JGru9xcmdFObF30bbM8gUHCP5kfq9TyddyZC7DL0bEtuapp0lBBfjVrVrKLPP88zlc5NR2fgHs/pubhtml#

We had both flyers in the F1A fly-off and both flyers in the F1B fly-off.  Not so lucky in F1C - both dropped time and stopped flying.

John Carter Won F1A with a 5:22 going for 8:00 in the last fly-off.  It wasn’t a great launch but the well-trimmed Makarov model made very good use of the air and held on while higher launchers dropped.

John is seen below returning from a practice flight on Friday.

916B1298-F1C5-4D2C-B0F7-663A1E297508.jpeg

Hi Mike, thank you for providing a few photos.  It is a bit better than the British weather at the moment as today is the first day of the 1st Area Meeting!

Who is the 10th person you are waiting for? I note that Mark Benns did OK in the flyoffs, is it someone like Gary Madelin who will only fly the small classes?

Peter

13 hours ago, PeterT said:

...      Who is the 10th person you are waiting for?  ..........

Gary and Mandy came in last night so my numbers are wrong - add one.  And yes Mike Woolner is due.

11 hours ago, martynk said:

Well done John Carter. An excellent result. What happened in F1C Mike? 

Alan Jack had an aluminium rudder adjustment horn fail through a screw hole.  That applied full rudder, fortunately after engine cut, and he Rdt'd it in the tight turning glide - otherwise it would have gone in.

Ken's was another spiral diving glide like his first flight in the Euros last year.  Last time it was, 'no fault found',  but this time it was traced to a loose incidence pin.  The wing TE could be moved about 1-2 mm I think and it could go to any position.  Usually it went to the correct one but....

Two more lessons learned and two more models saved by the Radio Dethermaliser.

• Like 1

Minis today- F1G setting up in light drizzle!  Chinese nearest me...  Emily is flying F1G she’ll be 10 this week.  See the post from last year for her 9th party.

The contest was stopped after 2 rounds due to rain.  Trying again on Monday morning.  Phil Ball broke his prop on launch on the first flight - made 1:54 but counts as zero.  Couldn't get another flight away in the round.  Almost made it but broke several moters and had other problems.  Almost made it but was ready after round ended so made it his round two flight for a max.

F797D1C3-3DF5-4F4B-B52B-7E346A752D56.jpeg

A91F8408-E7BB-4E0F-B14F-F47FDE9CE23B.jpeg

• Thanks 1