Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

3rd F3K 14 Day Challenge

Tony Beckett

Simon said:-
"What an amazing day today. I nailed both the duration challenge and the winter postal task with my first two launches!

I went out at 11.25 this morning in perfect calm conditions and could feel the sun warming me.  My first launch went straight into gentle lift which I was able to work for an easy 5 minutes.  I was able to launch straight back into the same patch of lift and just kept going.  For the first 20 mins I didn't gain a lot of height, maybe 400ft and I kept working and following the lift which was drifting about in different directions.  After 20 mins I hooked up with something a bit stronger which meant I was specked out at the 30 minute mark.  Could I keep going for another 30 mins??  At this point the air turned to and I was in sink everywhere.  By 35 mins I was down to launch height and though that would be it.  I then felt a bit of a pull and a bubble to work.  It seemed to 'let go' and suddenly I climbing at a good rate back to speck out again.  The air was now bubbles of lift and wider patches of sink which caused me to lose height but I managed to keep things going to the 50 minute mark.  At this point I hooked up with another decent bubble which comfortably took me to the hour mark.  I came down at 1 hour 32 secs.  Well chuffed for a February day - any day in fact!  So, to 'start' the third challenge:-

Simon Jones

F3K, 1 hour 32 secs

aatimes.jpg.5909261f90542511abf1d9ba9af2

I was out as well, rather more windy in Melton, also at times a thick layer of medium level cloud. At least that is my story when posting 3:48 rather than over an hour....  Excellent flight Simon

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times in the form below. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

AlexH

Great day for flying today. Easy mode, many bubbles and light winds today. Had one flight of 20:30 where I was flying between 100m and 330m height. When I hit 330m I would put the nose vertical down and catch another bubble around the 100m mark. I was thinking to go for a long duration flight but that was getting a bit boring so I landed after 20:30. After that I had a few flight between 5 and 10 min, where I dived down again after getting to 150m+ height.

Was a fun hour and a half in a muddy field!

Tony Beckett

The first flight of the year to exceed an hour wins the the 3rd Challenge, excellent stuff Simon

A pity Alex was out a day too soon, otherwise his 20:30 would have been an good start to the 4th Challenge of the year.