Sign in to follow this  
isoaritfirst

South Coast Blade

isoaritfirst

Having spent the morning digging a trench and filling with concrete for a garden wall this morning then spending the afternoon with my dad on his 91st,  I felt the need for something a bit lighter this evening.

So I've made a start on the carbon Blade that was very nicely donated by South Coast Sailplanes last summer for the English Open F3f comp at Whitesheet.

He's a few pics of the build so far

.IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.3eb3bf9586c66534a5982

Servo frames for ailerons cut out of ply. Cutting two at at a time.

IMG_1184.thumb.JPG.c4b27f4762463922090ff

Bit of sanding on the belt sander to finish off

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

IMG_1186.thumb.JPG.838c1c2815d782b14718b

Dropped on epoxy and micro balloons.

Horns fitted and backfilled with epoxy and carbon strands.

IMG_1187.JPG.3febbcf621f4dd717b171eb395c

Fuselage

Pieces made to support servos. made as two halfes cause its easier.

IMG_1188.JPG.9037d0f2834a7a6fb4ff7ed4273

Then glued under fuselage opening

IMG_1189.JPG.c488e562929198312105cebaac5

Recess filled with two pieces of 1/64 ply and centre dremelled out. Quick and easy. and a bit of primer added.

IMG_1192.thumb.JPG.304fa1a3980af490bc798

IMG_1187.JPG.3febbcf621f4dd717b171eb395c

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

What did I say about this being a very easy model to put together.

Scratch that!

I will get a few pics up later but I have had to completly redo the fuselage as the servos are very tricky to get in a position that will allow the push rods to run.

I've been through a few variants that solved that problem but then foulded the nose cone which is very small.

Sorted now after a complete rework but space is very tight and I used micro servos!. 

isoaritfirst

Just need balancing and servo covers applying.

Wing plug was a bit of a pain but just because I used two MPX greenies rather than doubling up wires or using a computer plug (which I hadn't got)

isoaritfirst

Nose job sorted

P1020788-Edit.jpg.c5eee243d4b0cdaac4c844P1020786-Edit.thumb.jpg.06254f4f4f29c3f7

• Like 3

pete beadle

Hi Mike

Did you get the trophy in front of the model for the outstanding quality of the Blade build?

I mean, I can't believe it's there just to show off - is it?

We all know you're a star Mike , no need to rub it in!

Congrats anyway

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

No this is a thank you shot Pete.

The model was the prize for this years English Open at Whitesheet.

South Coast Sailplanes sponsored the event and the Blade was the prize.

So pic is a thankyou to them and  Gromit who did all the hard graft of organising everything for the event

• Like 2

jay bee

Mike,

what servo's are you using in the wings.

isoaritfirst

KST same as fuselage on the aileron. And new power on the flaps.

Gromit
On 26/02/2016 at 09:10, isoaritfirst said:

P1020786-Edit.thumb.jpg.06254f4f4f29c3f7

On 26/02/2016 at 12:20, isoaritfirst said:

The model was the prize for this years English Open at Whitesheet.

South Coast Sailplanes sponsored the event and the Blade was the prize.

So pic is a thankyou to them and  Gromit who did all the hard graft of organising everything for the event

Thank you Mike for sharing your Blade build.

Both myself and Peter Payne, owner of South Coast Sailplanes very much appreciate you posting the above pic of the English Open trophy and the assembled Blade together B|. With it having been pouring down with rain at the presentation we didn't get the opportunity to take such a pic at that time.

At your convenience, when you have a few moments to do so, Peter & myself would very much appreciate a pic of yourself with both the trophy & the Blade, perhaps Liz could help with this ? I'm pretty sure you have my email address to send such a pic to me, I will then forward it to Peter.

Thanking you in advance Mike.

Stu & on behalf of Peter at South Coast Sailplanes.

• Like 1

MooSe

Can you do a flight report please? Be interesting to hear your thoughts on an old skool sportster compared to the latest. 

I've always fancied a blade,  maybe because it was one of the first mouldies I saw shrieking around.  Nice build by the way. 

wookman

Welcome to the realm of the screaming roll! Those unshrouded ailerons and flaps make the most exquisite noise on full deflection. Faster you going nicer the noise. Enjoy.:lol:

isoaritfirst

I have a servo on one flap that's being grumpy and not centering correctly. Next weekend is tied up with racing on Sunday and suit fitting for my lads wedding on Saturday. So it may be a few weeks before I get a flight report done. 

Norman

great work dude.

isoaritfirst

It has taken me a while to find a slot in my schedule to get this model out on the hill.

But today was that day.

Fitted out with a Frysky reciever and my X9e it was an ideal first test of the transmitter on the LBT firmware.

Success the transmitter worked great, flown off to a spec and just beyond before I could get a signal low warning and then twisting to point the aerial directly at the model caused a critical warning - but no loss of connection. So a success there.

As to the Blade;

I had replaced the grumpy servo last night and glued down the servo covers, so it was ready for its maiden today. I wasn't expecting to like the model very much, I have never been a fan of the style. So I have to admit to perhaps an element of *** abandon as I launced into a blustery wind with no ballast and no great amount of setting up. 

I had briefly flown a freinds Blade many years ago and despite wanting to hate it, found it a very enjoyable model. The 1.9Ds blade I was about to test proved just the same. If it has a fault its perhaps that it is so good, so viceless, so unfussed by my lack of care in programming it in. It just flew impecably. Smashing the trannies sticks into any wierd move you fancied the blade just did what you asked and then continued on its way completly unfazed. So why do I consider that a fault, well sometimes a fault can add character. sometimes it can add performance. But then I have been flying for many years. But for someone wanting a confidence insiring model this is it.

Landing was equally stress free. My landings over the years have got worse. I dislike hovering in crow, as gusty wind can quickly cartweel a hovering model, the Blade sat there just in front of my head hovering away and extreemly stable. The wind gusting around it didn't cause it any concerns. 

Snappy turns and rolling circles, snappy bunts all easily carried out and all with no Ballast on a day that had more wind than lift at times.

I think its a keeper if I can get to like its looks, and it does look much better through a big grin.

• Like 1