Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

4th F3K 14 Day Challenge

Tony Beckett

The new challenge started today, so I gave it a try. Conditions in Melton were not so good as yesterday, light to moderate wind with more turbulence than normal at this site. Times certainly didn't match Alex from yesterday or Simons winning time for the 3rd Challenge but here is an easy one to beat.......

Tony Beckett
F3k - 4:34
25th Feb

aatimes.jpg.99ee1d731bb96254c876b3f768f3

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

thechalster

Out today with the vortex.  Overcast with about 7 mph wind.  Longest flight 27:10.

thechalster

cirrusRC

popped down to the TVSF field.   Beautiful conditions for late February.   Lots of 10 min flights and a couple just shy of 30 mins.   Each time I thought I was on for the hour a cold spell blew through and sink was everywhere.

I've not got the bottle any more to fly over 1000ft so had to keep diving to get it down to a reasonable height.    Really very enjoyable day.

29m34s

Simon Jones

Mike,  Sorry to do this to you but I had another monster flight today!  I did an easy 1 hour 21 secs today from my first throw - originally I had intended to go for 30 mins but the prospect of two 1 hour flights in Feb was too much given the great conditions again this lunchtime.

I have been on holiday for the past two weeks so my last flight was the 1 hour on the 11th and this was literally my next launch 2 weeks later.  The lift was good to excellent and I was surprised that it was still climbing strongly at silly heights - I wish I had an onboard altimeter to check but I reckon I was nudging 2,000ft at times in the first 30 mins.  I came down to 3-400ft after 30 mins, partly to give my neck a rest and partly to make it more challenging.  There was a bit more mixing of the air at lower heights with sink but once above around 500ft it was more lifty again.

Simon Jones, F3K, 29.02.16

1 hour, 21 secs

cirrusRC

Well done Simon.  I was hoping you were still on holiday today :D

thechalster

Well done guys,. Working for a living is getting in the way of my flying.   I will be lucky to beat these plus 1 hour flights. That longer than my total allow flying session. :0)

Tony Beckett

aatimes.jpg.4990c9c76b50191c0a7a2e7b27a0

Simon now has had 5 flights of over an hour in the Challenge.....

AlexH

Yesterday had a flight of 7:40. Weather was looking very promising, but I could not quite speck one out. I mostly was flying between 30-50m height on all my flights between 5-7 min duration. Still was very fun.

Tony Beckett

Simon wins again with his SECOND flight of over an hour in February - excellent stuff!

The good weather at the end of last week is now over, with the mph wind speed in double figures until Friday according to XCWeather

aatimes.jpg.f180a06077b22ed6026e8258bbde

Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

cirrusRC

Not enough to beat Simon, but an enjoyable days flying on Saturday.

First launch was lazy and low but I launched straight into lift. Lots of speccing out and then low saves ensued before landing at 38 minutes. Really thought I was on for the hour as so much lift but it didn't quite happen.     Conditions don't get much better for March.

windyty.com  suggests next Sunday might be another good flying day.

20160312_133524.jpg

20160312_161307.jpg

20160312_161417.jpg

tonym

Before anyone puts in a better time :-)

Tony M
F3K
17/3/2016
Lawford
XXLite
3:29

Reasonable breeze but sunny with clear blue skies. Too blue actually, the couple of times I got away I ended up well down wind and getting the XXLite back was exciting as it kept disappearing in the blueness.

Tony

2016-03-17 11.02.57.jpg