Composite Plank - Flying wing

Royski

I have always liked the idea of a composite M60 style wing, I had a broken mouldie wing that was beyond repair, however the wing tips were OK.

After looking at ithe damaged wings several times I finally bit the bullet and got the hacksaw out and cut the wing tips off and joined them together to make a flying wing.

The wing span is 55 inch  which is slightly bigger than my 48 inch Moth, however the wing cord is slightly less than the moth which is my only real worry with this model, it could be really pitch sensitive.

I have set the CoG at 20% of the cord, and put in about 1.5mm reflex.

The all up weight is pretty good it came in at 588g which is only 20g more than my unballasted Moth.

I am hoping to get it Maidened this week

image.thumb.jpeg.28c24b795fa035f0d38b4f8image.jpeg.c213c5b3304b76c9463b9b86a757dimage.thumb.jpeg.6d002cfde842459cccce4b4

• Like 1

Looks really good.  Assign a control such as a slider or throttle to camber and you can adjust your reflex very easily and quickly. Good for planks of unknown airworthiness. .......

Thanks for the tip, I was going to have my finger over the elevator trim tab for the first launch, I will have a look at assigning the  reflex to a slider, I don't think it will need much, I am anticipating the elevator will be very sensitive 

Nice work Roy.

Expo is your friend, and pick your slope carefully. Long, soft grass is good - but probably the wrong time of year for that!

Cheers Mark, Horcum on Friday is looking good for a maiden, not sure how soft the grass will be though

chiloschista

Mhmm, not that much easy.

A usual glider has a negative coefficient moment airfoil, which could make things really hard. A tailless airfoil should be with a neutral or positive coefficient moment.

But hey, that will be for sure the thing that will put all that theories in the bin = : D .

Good luck, looking forward to watch you enjoying the flying,

Ric

Rob Thomson

I did something similar once.

It worked out ok - but biggest problem was needing loads more reflex than a regular flying wing aerofoil.

This is what we want 

http://www.flightech.co.uk/mako.html

Dunno what happened though. It's already nearly a year later? 

And did anyone try the RCRCM Angela?  Although that was quite pricey. 

I guess ultimately moulded wings break due to the nature of landing. Certainly there is no alternative to say a Typhoon as a fun sports sloper.  

I have a Pace but no desire to have it broken :o

Do you have a broken Pace you want to sell to me very cheaply? :rolleyes:

IT FLY'S"......:frantics:

Maidened the wing today at The Hole of Horcum.

I performed several glide tests into the soft heather at the top of the slope first as I did not fancy going down the bottom of the hill to retrieve it.

I had dialled  in 1.5mm reflex to start with and had to increase this to 3mm to get a flat glide, once that was achieved it was thrown off the slope where it picked up the lift and was away, pretty much straight and level.

It had a good turn of speed which is encouraging because with ballast it will go even quicker.

To say I am pleased is an understatement as I did not have high expectations for success.

Next steps will be some CoG fettling, so I can work out the ballast options.

I just need to try and figure out a way to make it look like a foamy so Ronnie won't notice when I fly it in the EPP racing:) 

• Like 5

Rob Thomson
On 10/03/2016 at 09:50, MooSe said:

This is what we want 

http://www.flightech.co.uk/mako.html

Dunno what happened though. It's already nearly a year later? 

And did anyone try the RCRCM Angela?  Although that was quite pricey. 

I guess ultimately moulded wings break due to the nature of landing. Certainly there is no alternative to say a Typhoon as a fun sports sloper.  

I have one.   Waiting to maiden it!

• Like 1

Tell us more!!!!!!!!!! :frantics:

I recently heard Flightech were having a delivery date issue with the factory. It must be a year late.

I'm on the waiting list so very keen to hear what you think of the quality, how much inbuilt reflex etc.

p.s we are talking about the Mako yes? Not the RCRCM Mamba rip off.

thermaldoctor
On 3/14/2016 at 10:38, MooSe said:

Tell us more!!!!!!!!!! :frantics:

I recently heard Flightech were having a delivery date issue with the factory. It must be a year late.

I'm on the waiting list so very keen to hear what you think of the quality, how much inbuilt reflex etc.

p.s we are talking about the Mako yes? Not the RCRCM Mamba rip off.

Hi - That is correct there is a delivery issue with both the Mako and Flip25. Sorry for all caught up in it but I am continually pressing the factory very hard for an initial delivery to satisfy and to say thank you to all the (many) pilots who have expressed an interest and wanting to order one.

There are not any pilots anywhere in the world with one or who have flown one other than the factory pilots and me. I think Rob Thompson is teasing :-)