Flyquiet archive

Richard Swindells

Richard Swindells

I have managed to get the old flyquiet forum running on a raspberry Pi, so now have a 100% free solution to the hosting.

For those of you who wish to view the archive, it is at the same url as before (I would be interested to hear if the speed of the site is usable.)

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Richard Swindells said:

I have managed to get the old flyquiet forum running on a raspberry Pi, so now have a 100% free solution to the hosting.

For those of you who wish to view the archive, it is at the same url as before (I would be interested to hear if the speed of the site is usable.)

Connection timed out.....

As its an archive, and of interest to our members I can host it on decent servers for free Richard. Drop me a PM if you want.

Richard Swindells

Probably just the DNS has not propagated yet..  should resolve to 212.56.102.221

Thanks for the hosting offer, I will keep it running at home for the moment as I am trying out the Pi for a few bits and bobs, now they are starting to upgrade the hardware.

edit........... ahh firewall config..should be ok by the morning

thanks for getting FQ back online Richard.    A little sluggish but impressive none the less for an RP and self hosting.    My RP2 is mainly used for Kodi and RetroPie :)

I notice your internal LAN IP and web port is visible from some URLs.

thanks again.

• Like 1

Richard Swindells

There were a couple of bad links causing the 20 second delays, which are now fixed.

Should be nice & zippy now :)

Richard Swindells
2 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

thanks for getting FQ back online Richard.    A little sluggish but impressive none the less for an RP and self hosting.    My RP2 is mainly used for Kodi and RetroPie :)

I notice your internal LAN IP and web port is visible from some URLs.

thanks again.

Thanks for the info, hopefully these are no longer visible. It is the first time I have used nginx for the webserver so a little learning process.

FlyQuiet's back!  Thanks Richard - best Easter Present I've seen.

I just looked something up - the site seems faster than before to me - and search works fine!

Richard.   I notice your test thread for posting pictures....etc.

If Flyquiet is going to be an archive going forward, would it not be better to redirect the login page ( no HTTPS anyway) and prevent new posts and replies?  

not sure what your intention is.

Richard,

Thanks for reincarnating(?) FQ, a very welcome surprise. Site is whizzy quick even on my 15 year old aged Dell.

Regards Ian

Richard Swindells
4 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Richard.   I notice your test thread for posting pictures....etc.

If Flyquiet is going to be an archive going forward, would it not be better to redirect the login page ( no HTTPS anyway) and prevent new posts and replies?  

not sure what your intention is.

There was never any intention for flyquiet to go offline, but it was always hoped that it would remain accessible as an archive, however at the time that the hosting contract expired I was not in a position to spend the time transferring to a new host.

There have been a huge number of requests to get it back as an archive, lots from people I never even realized followed the site so closely and it was taking more of my time to respond to these emails than it would to take a day out to get the site back up and running.

In addition many members (including me) had lost contact details of fellow pilots that we had from private conversations on the messaging system (which is why I need to keep the login to the site active.)

There was some use of private boards by various groups to co-ordinate their activities (for example the UK World Champs team use a private board to make our travel arrangements... and commercial teams have used it from time to time to communicate during the testing cycle, for example the flitzbogen team used fly-quiet during the original prototype development ) 

The ability to post documents and attachments are needed by these private boards which is why I needed to post a test picture.

• Like 1

This has made me very happy. I was an avid reader of old flyquiet threads particularly those about model building which, for me, is still a major source of enjoyment in this hobby.