Sign in to follow this  
PeteMitchell

F5J attains World Championship Class status!!

PeteMitchell

Just in case this has now been noticed, here is a copy of the latest  news via Mike Proctor BMFA-SFTC

Following a great deal of hard work from people in the UK and round the World, which resulted in the introduction of F5J as a contest at FAI level, then as a World Cup event, I am very pleased to tell you all that F5J has been accepted as a World Championship class.
The recent CIAM Plenary meeting also voted that a World Championship should be flown in “odd” years. This means that a first World Championship is likely to be in 2019, so still time to build that new model!
This is a great result, as it had been quite possible that the first World Champs could not be until 2021, however, CIAM has recognised that F5J has attracted a very large following worldwide, thereby deserving an early move to this new status.

Congratulation to all those who have had a part to play in this achievement, either by the sometimes onerous task of organising competitions, or simply by participating in events in large numbers, which eventually has demonstrated to the rule makers that this is a very popular class and is likely to remain so for a long time.

Regards

Mike

• Like 2

Martin_N

Fantastic news!

EssexBOF

Not if there is a proposed height limit for UAV's as is looking more likely by the day

martynk

I guess that it will limit the need for a Fly-off if there is a 10m altitude restriction.

Gary B

Can you explain the reasons for the slow acceptance of the class Pete. I don't understand it at all.

Gary

PeteMitchell

I can only comment as a flyer Gary, I have no imput into any rule making :)

But what do you mean by slow acceptance? Do you mean by UK flyers or FAI  or BARCS ?

Gary B

Sorry, should have been clearer.

I meant the FAI, F5J has been around for a few years now (three or four?) and 2019 is still three years away. So I was wondering what the 'stumbling blocks' that took six years plus to accept it were.

Not that I will be troubling the World Championships when they happen!

Somewhere down the line a British team could (should?) be selected.

satinet
1 hour ago, Gary B said:

Sorry, should have been clearer.

I meant the FAI, F5J has been around for a few years now (three or four?) and 2019 is still three years away. So I was wondering what the 'stumbling blocks' that took six years plus to accept it were.

Not that I will be troubling the World Championships when they happen!

Somewhere down the line a British team could (should?) be selected.

It took f3f quite a long time to become and FAI "official" class. Longer than f5j I would suggest.

IIRC one of the criteria is that is has to be flown a fairly widely. E.g something like USA Thermal Duration would never become an FAI class even if the pure number of fliers were quite high.

It's probably just a critical mass of pilots flying it in different countries, the rules settling to a fairly even keel and the amount of time things take to go through the relevant committees etc. I think f5j has become an official class quite quickly.  Also bear in mind that some people want to decrease the number of FAI classes not increase them, because there are a lot. 

PeteMitchell

The wheels of the FAI/CIAM etc grind slow:yes:

From the little I know about these things, a new class has to go through many 'hoops' before it gets accepted to a WC status.

BMFA/SFTC guys have been very closely involved with the process, and from what I have been told it takes a lot of effort from a lot of people.

Gary B

I was once told that if you have more than 10 people on a committee and more than 10 items on the meeting agenda then you are stuffed!

Was just curious.

Richard Swindells

Congrats to everyone involved in getting this through! 

I'll have to start saving some money and doing some research into which model to buy as I'm seriously tempted with having a go.