Pyrenees Cup 2016

jwest532

On 4/30/2016 at 21:00, jwest532 said:

French air traffic control strike. My flight out of Heathrow on Thursday night got cancelled leaving me high and dry :(

Sorry to read you missed this event under such circumstances Joel.

Sounds to me like the conditions would have suited you.

Hope you are able to bank the Brownie points that didn't get used, so that all is not lost :thumbsup:.

I just noticed something on that time sheet and if this is a bit of a noob observation then forgive me. The round Stefan got his 25.48 was not a particularly fast round in comparison to his time. Most were late 30's or in the 40's. Im not trying to say anything about the other pilots, hell if I was there I would have smiled if I got under 2 minutes and landed in one piece. I just think it emphasises how amazing Stefan's run was and how amazing it would have been to see it.

The problems with st ferriol are the variable conditions. 

During the 2010 VR we also had variable conditions like that. 

You would see a stinking time and then the very next person would do a 50 second run. 

Laurac had a very pretty view from both slopes over the town. 

The a slope was your classic slope with a nice lz at the top, the b slope was shocking with a near vertical assault to the landing at the top. 

I remember one flight I did there where I was using just rudder due to not wanting to stall out. 

Had to land out the conditions were so poor. I should have used the red light, but by then I was more willing to wait for old age to take its toll. 

I assumr they didn't have to use the shocking b slopes for the eurotour event !

28 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

I just noticed something on that time sheet and if this is a bit of a noob observation then forgive me. The round Stefan got his 25.48 was not a particularly fast round in comparison to his time. Most were late 30's or in the 40's. Im not trying to say anything about the other pilots, hell if I was there I would have smiled if I got under 2 minutes and landed in one piece. I just think it emphasises how amazing Stefan's run was and how amazing it would have been to see it.

Brett,

Good observation - the slope was working well, but by this round the wind was averaging close to the legal maximum of 56mph, with gusts to above 70mph.  There was strong and regular big thermal influence.  Most pilots got some thermal and some sink, or just neutral conditions during their flights - If the thermal stayed the whole flight and the pilot flew a good course, then sub 30 times were possible - Stefan had exceptional air and kept ahead of the model, and didn't cut a turn - Excellent flying in the circumstances, although Stefan said the air was pretty smooth through his flight compared to average.  Quite a few pilots struggled when conditions were this strong and turbulent, hence the variation in the round.  I got a 35 second run that round - pretty reasonable, but probably turned out to be my dropped score!

But this slope and these conditions were what many pilots had come for, and we weren't disappointed - All the top pilots commented on how they enjoyed the technical challenge of this slope, and the potential to achieve very fast times.   I guess there are also pilots that find this slope too challenging.

Throughout the scoring was very tight at the top.  F3F is a long game - you can't judge yourself on any one round, or even one contest.  A contest like this is won as much by how well the pilot manages the bad air, as flying a fast run without making mistakes.  And in these conditions you had to adapt to changing conditions throughout each flight.

There are quite a few F3F pilots around Europe who have returned home from this contest with fully recharged F3F adrenaline stocks!

Simon

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Spoons said:

The problems with st ferriol are the variable conditions. 

During the 2010 VR we also had variable conditions like that. 

There isn't a problem with the St Ferriol slope.  In 2010 we were the problem - we were not prepared for it and didn't understand how to fly it.  Mike Evans did warn us.  A few of us took on the challenge of EM turns and came out of that experience much stronger.  

All inland slopes suffer from variable conditions due to thermal activity, and St Ferriol is no exception.  Like any variable inland slope you need to get a reasonable number of rounds in a comp to even out the peaks and troughs.  I had two blinders on the first day, but pretty mediocre conditions on the second, yet it was still very close in the end.

Simon

• Like 4

I guess we were all spoiled by flying the wrecker and thought if we could fly that we could fly anywhere. 

Lovely part of the world. 

I still remember alexis alliaj going in on the last day and if anyone wanted to get the tungsten you would need mining equipment. 

1 hour ago, simon_t said:

There isn't a problem with the St Ferriol slope.  In 2010 we were the problem - we were not prepared for it and didn't understand how to fly it.  Mike Evans did warn us.  A few of us took on the challenge of EM turns and came out of that experience much stronger.  

All inland slopes suffer from variable conditions due to thermal activity, and St Ferriol is no exception.  Like any variable inland slope you need to get a reasonable number of rounds in a comp to even out the peaks and troughs.  I had two blinders on the first day, but pretty mediocre conditions on the second, yet it was still very close in the end.

Simon

Granted Simon, however when your launching into very light and very changeable condition not legal I would love to see the pilot who could fly a sub 30 in that. No amount of EM can generate enough speed to get a good time in conditions like that.

its a case of flying with a dlg. You guys saw it in dovonly. 

Hi Simon

That is a very good point that I never thought of, or at least I didnt realise the wind speeds were that high. I suppose flying well in high wind speeds can give a good time but flying well in low wind speeds is just as important. Being consistant in all conditions is what will win you titles. Looking at your times you can see how you almost got the no 1 spot and considering it was what 2 points out of 13 rounds, thats the smallest of margins. 

My hat goes off to you and all the other pilots. To fly that well in those conditions is outstanding. Maybe when I finally get myself a f3hefer I might be able to learn a few things from you and the others. Im joining Long Mynd soon and the guys there have been really good. Looking forward to it. :frantics:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simon_t said:

Brett,

Good observation - the slope was working well, but by this round the wind was averaging close to the legal maximum of 56mph, with gusts to above 70mph.  There was strong and regular big thermal influence.  Most pilots got some thermal and some sink, or just neutral conditions during their flights - If the thermal stayed the whole flight and the pilot flew a good course, then sub 30 times were possible - Stefan had exceptional air and kept ahead of the model, and didn't cut a turn - Excellent flying in the circumstances, although Stefan said the air was pretty smooth through his flight compared to average.  Quite a few pilots struggled when conditions were this strong and turbulent, hence the variation in the round.  I got a 35 second run that round - pretty reasonable, but probably turned out to be my dropped score!

But this slope and these conditions were what many pilots had come for, and we weren't disappointed - All the top pilots commented on how they enjoyed the technical challenge of this slope, and the potential to achieve very fast times.   I guess there are also pilots that find this slope too challenging.

Throughout the scoring was very tight at the top.  F3F is a long game - you can't judge yourself on any one round, or even one contest.  A contest like this is won as much by how well the pilot manages the bad air, as flying a fast run without making mistakes.  And in these conditions you had to adapt to changing conditions throughout each flight.

There are quite a few F3F pilots around Europe who have returned home from this contest with fully recharged F3F adrenaline stocks!

Simon

Great summary of inland slope flying. St Ferriol is a technical slope and awesome place to fly, I had 3rd in the euro tour there a few years ago but sadly we didn't get anything like the conditions you had this weekend or as many rounds.

Totally gutted I couldn't attend but congratulation to all the pilots that entered and took part, it will be one you will all remember for years to come, great memories!

Well done Simon 2nd is a great result and to Peter especially getting under the 30second barrier.

It hurts to say it, but well done Sefan would have loved to witness that one mate.

Martin

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Martin_N said:

It hurts to say it, but well done Sefan would have loved to witness that one mate.

Martin

I would loved to have seen it as well - I had just landed so was too far away to see it - I could just hear a model going very fast.

Simon

Thanks and I look forward to meeting you guys. I met some of you at the last Midlands comp but sadly didnt get to see any racing. Got to know Jerry on the way there and back and ive been in contact with Les a few times. Both really nice guys and so were all the other guys I met. 

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

Granted Simon, however when your launching into very light and very changeable condition not legal I would love to see the pilot who could fly a sub 30 in that. No amount of EM can generate enough speed to get a good time in conditions like that.

its a case of flying with a dlg. You guys saw it in dovonly. 

Come back to us Jon    now that nobody flies 'B' ...we have much more fun   and no pesky lines,winches or flat caps and blankets ..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, prondel said:

https://plus.google.com/photos/108261435497421048134/albums/6279965460782080321

An amazing comp definitively that I will remember from sometimes !

chrono-pcup.JPG

Great pictures Pierre thank you!

Also fascinating to see the times, you really needed to be around 35 or below to be at the top! 

I landed this afternoon but it wasn't the best of journeys. Flights were fine and on time but I stupidly had a freestyler joiner with the ballast taped in it in my hand luggage. Security thought it could be used as a weapon, even when I took the ballast out so I had to chose between joiner or ballast :no: I chose the joiner and can collect the ballast if I return to Toulouse within 2 months. I could have checked my bag in but wasn't confident I had time.

When I got back to Edinburgh my sport tube with models didn't arrive. They will hopefully deliver it to my house tomorrow. If they have opened it, I hope they pack it the same way it was, baggage handlers can be thugs!

12 hours ago, Stefan Bertschi said:

Overall I think it was one of the best - if not the best - Eurotour/WC I have ever attended.

I thought we were going to tell Joel it was rubbish...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Peter G said:

I chose the joiner and can collect the ballast if I return to Toulouse within 2 months. I could have checked my bag in but wasn't confident I had time.

Hi Pete,

ask Andreas Fricke to pick it up. He can take the ballast to RC-Network open and give it to JP's hands ;)

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

it has been discussed many times about the shear layer that exists at St Ferriol and how Ds-ing into the edge of it produces a big kick. It's interesting that (as reported by Pierre) Aubry was flying a flat lower em turn. It would seem that would fit with the principle. Higher wind speed would perhaps lower the shear point on a hill like this as the wind up the face is reduced by the shelter of the valley. There was also a discussion some time ago about the shortest distance (relative to the amount of air passing over the wings) is flown by flying a flat eight, when it's windy especially more horizontal wind. 

Probably a load of b.......s but possibly not. Who knows

• Like 1

All of the top three flew different styles, but we ended up pretty close.  The sheer was high - some people weren't pumping and were getting high just cruise climbing.   Siggi flew the most 'classic' high EM.  He struggled to hear the buzzer on occasions (was hard with the wind), and flew long sometimes.  My flying was a bit of a mix - it wasn't often easy to get into the EM groove in the conditions

Simon

• Like 3

Aubry GABANON

A contest like this is won as much by how well the pilot manages the bad air, as flying a fast run without making mistakes.  And in these conditions you had to adapt to changing conditions throughout each flight.

Completely agree, and it was my first lesson in F3F, get the best with what you have, even if it is the worst...

Also thanks to Fred HOURS who train me before the comp', do this... no doesn't work... do this...ok... try this...no as it... more tighten...good...continue...land and take your HARIBO...the flat EM was Fred's idea, last years I was flying more on the edge as Simon and get 100 its penalty for safety line and finish 2nd due to this...

What i have learned of this comp', that Stefan was amazing!! I have seen the flight with my eyes!!!! will always remember that!

Also, was the fist time I met Simon. You have a incredible chance to have this kind of person in England by your side, keep him or give him to us. He is so shy that he tooks his trophy in few seconds, go in the corner, was catched by Andreas to get a picture of the podium! A very nice person, competitor, and very humbled.

Don't forget I won the contest with 14points over 11000... my bum was warming... and was really difficult to keep the first place as long as possible. More Simon was under pressure, more he was better, capable of questioning after each flight, change, be more aggressive... wwooww   The rocks still shacking after Simon's EM... and in his back we all said ahhhhahahahhhhaaaaaahhhHHHHAAAAAHHHHH

• Like 4

isoaritfirst

Congratulations Aubry it was a very significant competition to win, select pilots and big air on a technical slope.  

Also a pressure finish.

We know just how good Simon is.

Very well done, although we would have wished for a UK victory.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1