Pyrenees Cup 2016

jwest532

Well done guys, congrats to Stefan on his new PB sounds like an awesome flight also Pete. Hope the Jedi will be ok.  Top job Simon keep the focus and go get that trophy.

Martin

1 hour ago, jwest532 said:

Pete's gone sub 30 as well :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I've just jet washed the patio so having almost as much fun :(

That's not nearly as much fun as sowing runner beans!

Well done all ... and Stefan:  respect, dude!

WOW ! what a 'Cracking' day's racing or Simon, Peter & Stefan, sub 30's alround topped off with a truly astonishing 25.36 for Stefan :o.

Wishing the three of you as much success tomorrow. We are all cheering you on.

Stu.

• Like 1

And to top off a great day, just finished a fantastic banquet in Limoux organised by Andreas Fricke.  Super 3 course meal with all the flyers and partners.  And a very sociable 10am meet at the slope tomorrow.  These guys know how to have a good time...

Simon

• Like 4

They certainly know how to make the events enjoyable. Sounds like a fantastic day, hope you have another one today. Superb flight Stefan, and push on to close it out today Simon.

Hope you all have a great day guys.

Looking forward to the results at the end of the comp.

We have finished now - I think 6 rounds today, making 14 in all.  It has been very difficult again today, with regular gusts over 25m/s, and some in the 30s. It has been very nip and tuck, with the top few places changing around.  I dropped to 3rd, then moved back up to 2nd.  We have since flown two rounds, and are awaiting the results and prize giving.  None of the massive went sub 30 today, but Fred Hours flew a 27.xx.  I'm sure there will be more reporting later.

Simon

• Like 2

I forgot to take a photo of the results sheet but I know the top 5:

1 Aubrey Gabanon

2 Simon Thornton

3 Siggi Schedel

4 Fred Hours

5 Reto Blumer

I was 11th and Stefan 12th. FTD Stefan 25.48!

Strong conditions from the start today, I had one round in good air for 32.xx, the others not so much. One round was gusting to 29ms in really bad sink and another in 30ms made it really turbulent and tough, mainly trying to fly safe rather than fast. Should have brought 2 Jedi's for these conditions but the forecast in the week before said 4-8ms for the weekend!

Simon had a couple of rounds in poor air at the start which set him back but he battled away with aggressive flying on the edge to get within 2 FAI points of the win. A really strong performance!

No 25's for Stefan today, he didn't really feel 'on it' today and with good consistent flying from the Lanes', Andreas and Arnaud Leger we dropped out of the top 10.

A fantastic comp with excellent organisation. I still don't feel like I have done myself justice on this tricky slope so will have to keep coming back till I crack it!

• Like 5

Well done Simon and  Peter one what seems to be a very interesting  slope.

All so congratulations to to the Mighty  Stefan on what seems to off been an epic flight of a lifetime. 

Had my fingers cross that Simon would have taken the glory after  seeing the results from yesterday ,but after seeing the guys names that had entered there's a lot of top flyers.

Anyways a big congregation to Simon on a well deserved second spot.

I'm in no way at the level to complete in a European comp yet but hopefully next year I'd love to come out and soak up the atmosphere and local ale

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

thats some scary sh1t. 

That slope is an animal in the right conditions. Congratulations to everyone for surviving and to those pilots who tamed it - fantastic - Simons video flight shows just how you need to be prepared to lose a few toes if you want to stay in the jaws of the dragon 

• Like 2

Very close in the end.  My 998 to Aubry's 1000 !

Was a classic comp in tough conditions.  Will write a bit more when I get home, still over 700km to go out of 1100km

simon

(ps - I've not seen the videos yet)

• Like 4

Greg Dakin

Fantastic result Simon, many congratulation - such a challenging slope to fly on in strong winds. 

Great to see Pete sub-30 on french soil too, what an achievement!

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

Congratulations Simon, 'Cracking' job :thumbsup:. Looking forward to reading your report .

Very well done Peter & Stefan on your placing's :thumbsup:.

Stefan, congrats again on your awesome 25.48 :o

Stu.

Stefan Bertschi

Got save home yesterday short after midnight.

What a comp. I think we managed 14 (or 13?) rounds within a good 1 1/2 days. Beside the first round you needed a very low 30 or sub 30 for the round win!
As far as I remember we had the following pilots with sub 30 times:
Saturday:
29.xx  Simon Thornton - Shinto
29.xx  Peter Gunning - Jedi
25.48  Stefan Bertschi - Jedi (sorry it's the only time I remember in detail)

Sunday:
29.xx  Pierre Rondel - Needle 100DSL
29.xx  Arnaud Léger - Pitbull
28.xx  Fred Hours - Alliaj hm (très bendy :-))
I'm not sure if I forgot one sub 30.

There were spectacular flights and also some scary ones. The 'body count' of destroyed models on the slope was - taking the conditions in account - very low (the world lost one more Alliaj) but the landing caused various issues of which - so I believe at least - can all be solved within a few hours spent in the shed.

Arnaud is a well deserved winner. He flew with great determination and didn't crack under pressure. He had to fly a low 34 in the last round to beat Simon who set the mark with a 33 - and he delivered. Simon was always great fun to watch as he didn't spare his Shintos any abuse during flight. I thought various times that this actually was it but with reflexes like a teenager he always managed to get his plane away from the rocks just in time.

As Pete already wrote, for myself the Sunday was a bit 'a waste of time'. I had a toxic comibnation of average air and poor flying, and my drop in the ranking was - sad as it is - well deserved.

Overall I think it was one of the best - if not the best - Eurotour/WC I have ever attended.

• Like 9

It was nice to meet again Simon, Peter, Stefan. Hope you had a great time there ! What I learned: Simon is in super shape ! The Jedi is a pretty fast plane ;) !!!

my photo album of this week-end, anf also the sheet with all the times :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/108261435497421048134/albums/6279965460782080321

An amazing comp definitively that I will remember from sometimes !

chrono-pcup.JPG

• Like 5