Freestyler 5

Martin_N

It has been sometime since TUD have produced a new model, which is hardly surprising when you see the success they have had with there well thought out designs over the years. Any changes made, are made with careful consideration and testing.  The new Freestyler 5 is now in production and although designed for F3F it is little surprise it has already made its mark on F3B.

Size wise it sits between the 3 and 4, the fuselage has been redesigned but still leaving plenty of room for the installation and the wing section is different. All the parts are interchangeable between the 3, 4 and 5.

few pics, to show the differences hopefully put it together later and get some more.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, czyno said:

During the weekend we will see it ;) In Denmark :brr:

It will be staying at home this weekend, I wont have time to get the build and setup completed with preparations to leave for Denmark tomorrow evening.

Greg Dakin

Wow, lovely looking machine Martin - looks to feature a pretty significant redesign and suite of improvements!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this model fly.....and I won't be confused by the colour scheme either.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Dakin

Goodness me Mark that didn't take you long to fit out, splendid work 😎

I'm sitting here in suspense - do tell us how you found the new machine?

Does it provide a fundamentally different flying experience to the FS3, FS4.3 and Baudis models, or more of an 

evolutionary performance offering?

Cheers,

Greg

ok.... 1st thing is it takes me forever to get to a setup I'm happy with and this is day 1. 1st Impression is that the FS5 feels like a completely new model. It pitches/rotates completely differently to the FS4, and although I have no idea how much camber there is, it feels like it's a lot less than the 4. Using an underside template from the FS4 it certainly has quite a different section. The snap/elevator/rudder blend is extremely sensitive and has definite/strong sweet spots (for the slope I flew today). It feels very much like a  point and shoot model (reminded me of the N124 and the Jedi), is very agile, and required only a little flap in the turn.

. Initial impression very good though, but as observed from the recent Denmark comp, there gap between the top models and pilots was absolutely naff all. No doubt next time out will be different and there is a long way to go :thumbsup:

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
Stefan Bertschi

My FS5 arrived a week ago and by now LDS is installed in both wings. Although I think installung LDS is still a pain TUD actually improved their system. A. the openings for the Servos are a tad bigger than in the 3 and 4 and B. The system itselfs is a bit more tolerant in regards of the positioning in the wing (lateral).

Servo wise I use JR in the wings and - as a first - KST in the fuzz. Still some work ahead for a maiden at the next Welsh Winterleague (preferably on Saturday before the comp).

P.S. The Beamer acting as post isn't mine

WP_20161228_20_48_46_Rich.jpg

WP_20161228_20_48_14_Rich.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Stefan Bertschi said:

My FS5 arrived a week ago and by now LDS is installed in both wings. Although I think installung LDS is still a pain TUD actually improved their system. A. the openings for the Servos are a tad bigger than in the 3 and 4 and B. The system itselfs is a bit more tolerant in regards of the positioning in the wing (lateral).

Servo wise I use JR in the wings and - as a first - KST in the fuzz. Still some work ahead for a maiden at the next Welsh Winterleague (preferably on Saturday before the comp).

P.S. The Beamer acting as post isn't mine

WP_20161228_20_48_46_Rich.jpg

WP_20161228_20_48_14_Rich.jpg

Love the grey :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Big box was waiting for me when I got back to my workday flat this evening - lots of German writing on it...

Freestyler 5 !!! :D

What can I say? - this is one serious piece of kit - everything fits perfectly - and that fuselage is so incredibly skinny - and the dinky moulded noseweight is really cute.

For a colour scheme I chose a very simple variation on the traditional Freestyler design - nice bright red RAL 3020 & black - with a bit of added white contrast

Order placed in October - here it is - so those tales of old about waiting years are no longer true

Phil.

FS_3.thumb.jpg.16d0757063d2742eb99e8be74bd8fabb.jpgFS_1.thumb.jpg.5bc30b67602739558135298ae58284ea.jpgFS_2.thumb.jpg.71665042c509ec1a7ff6e73c7b145d03.jpg

• Like 6