Freestyler 5

Sloper
10 hours ago, Phil.Taylor said:

next up - the wings - sometime...

Phil.

Thats where the fun begins NOT!!!

• Haha 1

wookman

Oh Phil, that is rather lovely. When it gets to ten years old can I have first dibs on it please. You know I love my "vintage" plastic!

Phil.Taylor
On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 08:50, Sloper said:

Thats where the fun begins NOT!!!

mmm - thought I'd better take a look at what I'm up against

There's nice LDs linkages with ball-bearings - but no blocks or anything for those bearings - put it all away again to have a think...

LDS.JPG.1803faddc555e9aa8fcffc35c927c5a9.JPG

picked it up again  today - lets have a look in the wing servo bays - and there it is ! - bearing mount already fitted - but its sunny outside, and the beach & ice cream seem like a good idea...

Phil.

1163040983_servobay.JPG.16c3b3de35cc34d9fa519401a4c99da6.JPG

isoaritfirst

Make sure the ends of the pivot pins are sharp then position into horn. Slide in pushrod and grab the pin with some snip nose pliers. Then with the wing held hard, tap the nose of the pliers with a small hammer to tap tap tap the pin in. 

With care you can do this without damaging the wiper. 

But be careful, get the pin into the first half of the horn and tap very carefully until it finds the hole in the pushrod. You may mark the push rod if you tap before everything is lined up. 

This is where having a sharpened point on the pin will help to guide into place. 

Also sand if necessary the push rod to ensure it is a very smooth action within both the cam and the horn be over critical when trying to get it smooth running. 

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Thanks for the info Mike. I know this is going to be a "trial fit many times" to get it right before final fixing

Phil.

Sloper

youll find you need to file off some gap spoiler by the control horn to get easier access with the pliers (extra thin set) and youll need to do the pin thing while LDS bar is as far forward as you can get it.

I found some pins slide in OKish some benefit from a bit of polish. Also when servo is at neutral you may find you have to sand abit of the LDS arm top as it can interfere with  the servo cover surface.  Make sure when the hub is not tightened on top of the output shaft too and not on the servo top face, some LDS kits ive had from TUDmodel do, so had to sand them back.

Bearing screw needs lock tightening too as they can work loose 

Another thing youll notice when you dry run the LDS with the pin located and the bearing located, is the servo dosnt sit right on the mounting blocks, theyll need sanding to suit to get a totally true seat.

All good fun :) easier when youve done a few

Gromit

Phil, not having done an LDS install myself i'm following with much interest & learning along the way. Keep the install coming, especially posting any probs / snags you encounter 🖕

Thank you for the install  hints tips Mike & Rich 🖕

Stu. 

Phil.Taylor

Question for those that have done this LDS stuff - did you add a bit of epoxy into the roll-drive/horn things when you finally fitted them to the servo output splines? - I'm seeing a sort of scalloped version of "splines" in the roll-drive/horn thing, but mot real splines - fits ok onto the servo splines, but not sure it would hold up well?

Phil.

Phil.Taylor

ok - pins tapered on the ends, LS arm sanded back at the top - thanks Rich & Mike 

first attempt to fit anything - LDS arms wouldn't fit into the LDS horns - needed to sand each side of the arm down a bit to get a good fit

first attempt to see if the pins would fit in the LDS horns (without the arms) -hahahahaha - nope, not without a lot of force, which I don't want to use (yet) - so its going to be a bit of fiddly fettling...

Phil.

Skip
On 06/05/2018 at 11:12, Gromit said:

Phil, not having done an LDS install myself i'm following with much interest & learning along the way. Keep the install coming, especially posting any probs / snags you encounter 🖕

Thank you for the install  hints tips Mike & Rich 🖕

Stu. 

Stu, I'm not sure you meant to use that particular hand gesture mate! Fair play if you did tho! 🤣😂😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

satinet
On 06/05/2018 at 16:59, Phil.Taylor said:

Question for those that have done this LDS stuff - did you add a bit of epoxy into the roll-drive/horn things when you finally fitted them to the servo output splines? - I'm seeing a sort of scalloped version of "splines" in the roll-drive/horn thing, but mot real splines - fits ok onto the servo splines, but not sure it would hold up well?

Phil.

I've never fancied an LDS install. The models I have got with LDS you only had to screw the servo in to the frame - it was great ! 

I've always worried about getting the LDS horns equal left to right on the flaps

Gromit
3 hours ago, Skip said:

Stu, I'm not sure you meant to use that particular hand gesture mate! Fair play if you did tho! 🤣😂😁

Ooops 🤭 LOL, I think it must be time I had my eyes tested, I thought I had posted a thumbs up ,  lol

Stu. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Phil.Taylor

Next round...

hope this stuff might be useful to someone - I'm already grateful for the help from Mike & Rich

To fit the pins into the horns, I filed chisel-type sloping  flats on the ends of the pins - then it was possible to work the pins into the horns, wiggling them with thin pliers holding onto the bent end, with the control surfaces folded back.  That way the holes were relieved very slightly by the flats, enough to get the pins in & out but still held fairly firmly 

921734284_Pinfitting.JPG.1a9d3e0fe71fe12137ce780435872ca1.JPG

time for the first servo fitting try-out, with the linkages & bearings fitted to the servos - sort of an upside down twisty motion to get them in

1952819329_servoin1.JPG.859dde41c888c77d0e8f0e3f869edfbd.JPG1283050485_servoin2.JPG.c8a987737ee013953487cd3649edddac.JPG

Servo in ok - but the aileron LDS linkages were sitting a bit too high for the servo cover to close properly - servos out gain & filed down the linkage until the cover fitted ok

758928415_armclearance.JPG.bca9b7e039cc5a203022f8d2bba1738b.JPG

then I noticed that there was a bit too much gloop on the bearing support joint, fouling the LDS arm - a bit of de-glooping fettling followed

1356429911_gloopfettling.JPG.c4d8fe418c593a5bf9f03303dfbe6010.JPG

Then the serious stuff

The LDS linkages have to be fitted to the servos before the servos are fitted - but how to get the aligment right? - there is no adjustment - only way is trial & error. 

So - wiring looms fitted in the wings,  servos connected up - outside the wings - then fire up the Tx & Rx - servos move to their flight-centre positions. Fit the LDS arms to the servos - ailerons are easy, aligned as close as possible to centre - Flaps I estimated an offset angle, forwards of centre (standard stuff). Turn Tx & Rx off - trial fit all the servos into the wings - then first trial fit of the LDS arms & pins into the horns. Yep - as Rich said - this is fun stuff. Only way is to grab the end of the linkages with pliers & pull the linkage out as far as it will go - control surface folded back, then theres just enough clearance to get the thin-nose pliers in there to twist/jiggle the pins into place - really fiddly stuff. Then when its all together - fire up the Tx & Rx again - and hey presto the control surfaces all move - to not quite the right place!  Ailerons were not too far off, but the flaps were way off, so they had to come out again & move the linkages round one notch. So - the controls are all working, but have I got enough throws? - yep, ailerons ok, flaps ok with lots of down, and some up. The crucial ingredient is of course an existing model set-up on the Tx to work from, one with max throws for the flaps. Next bit? - beer of course!

Then all the servos & linkages all come back out again. With the LDS arms now in the right place, the bearings & bolts come off again, bit of Loctite thread-lock (Rich's suggestion) on the bolts, bolt them up nice & tight. Now, were in familiar territory - tape-wrap the servos - they are just going to be glued in - no mount blocks etc. I'm using Futaba 3150s - tried & tested, usually very reliable (don't fancy having to do this stuff all again for failed servos). So there it is- servos all ready to be finally glued in - tomorrow...

137653764_servosreadytofit.JPG.61979d7133d16a0c28e67a2b12482010.JPG

Phil.

• Like 3

Gromit

Thank you for posting the above Phil 👍

Stu. 

Phil.Taylor

Thanks Stu - appreciated

and so - its on to the last lap...

very familiar territory - gluing the servos in - with the LDS links located in the LDS horns but pins not fitted - ballast is always good for an alternative use

2121778921_Servoglue.JPG.a196f8c31c590739b2cf6f4686513be3.JPG

the final fiddly bit - final pin fitting - pulled the LDS arms out as far as they would go, surfaces folded back, just enough room to get thin nose pliers in there to jiggle/wiggle/twist the pins into place

302658633_LDSarmpull.JPG.4599553cc30d8850d6c92cbb4b3eecff.JPG

83940368_finalpinfit.JPG.1bb687b0737fd694aa7a84c0797d8d30.JPG

and the very traditional end bit - tape the servo covers on - DONE !!!

1473499347_coverson.JPG.c08cdb40514755b6cbfc6b98389fd720.JPG

Well pleased that the wings are all done. To anyone contemplating LDS - its pretty straightforward apart from those fiddly pins - just have to trial fit everything to be sure it all fits properly - twice over !

Phil.

Phil.Taylor

Its alive !

Noseweight, battery & Rx fitted - control surfaces all waggling in the right directions. 1600 nimh battery just fits - only just - had to remove the outer cover & move the wires from the bottom to the side to get it to sit a bit lower - one day I might go lithium, but not just yet.

all the usual stuff to do - control throws, CofG, and my pet hate job - fixing the greenies

Phil.

Alive.JPG.e1fbbfc9102d902cccc06b8e08a6688f.JPG

• Like 1

Gromit

Thank you again for sharing your experience of installing an LDS system, much appreciated 👍

Looks like your on schedule for maidening this wknd in Wales 😲.

Stu. 

Brett82

Nice job there Phil. 

Can I ask why you didn't install the pins when gluing in the wing servos?

I would think that would help ensure they were seated in the correct position while gluing. 

Please also take some photos and show us how you do the lovely job of gluing in the green connectors. 

Thanks 

Brett 

Phil.Taylor
37 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

Nice job there Phil. 

Can I ask why you didn't install the pins when gluing in the wing servos?

Brett 

good question - and the stuff that I was pondering over before starting on it

because...

1. its not necessary - the fore & aft servo alignment is dependant on the bearing fitting into the bearing support in the wing, it goes where it goes - and the spanwise alignment only depends on the LDS arm loosely fitting in the LDS horn.

2. it would be very difficult, and very messy - with the servo slipping around on epoxy that's setting whilst trying to get the pins in - servo access undersides, pin access topsides

3. fitting the pins first, then gluing the servo - is absolutely impossible - this was the first thing I found out with the trial-fittings - no way to get glue under the servo

hope that helps?

greenies - steeling myself for that job - will take a couple of snapshots

Phil.

• Thanks 1

Brett82

Thanks Phil 

Didn't think that with the pre drilled holes the location of the servo is pre determined. 

Thanks buddy 

Brett