Slope Racer Field Charging

Greg Dakin

Greg Dakin

I've recently been flying some big scalies on the slope, using a variety of HV servos. Each time I've checked the capacity of the rx packs (post flight), I've been floored by just how much juice these servos have consumed. A chance rendezvous with my old pal Tony Fu led to an interesting discussion on all matters 'field charging', and I found myself leaving his workshop armed with a very neat solution to the problem. Effectively, we have a small, waterproof box complete with twin 16000mah lithium cells (joined via a single circuit, with balancer), a switchable voltage display, and input / output sockets enabling the iCharger to either draw or return voltage to / from the cells. 

With a little sweat talking, Tony kindly allowed me to relieve him of a fully built unit (see pics below), but tells me that a kit is available for those who wish to install their own electronics. Ideal for me personally, but may also appeal to electric fliers and F3F enthusiasts during the winter months.

Cheers,

Greg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Pete Burgess

I'm not sure that I would like to add that to all the other stuff on a yomp to the far side of the Crest :o

Hi Greg,

you saved so much weight with your lovely chair and now you get additional heavy stuff... :bye:

Just put enough of receiver battery capacity in your planes and you don't have to get additional gear to the slope. Especially in scalies it shouldn't be really an issue. Not space wise and also not of to much nose weight.

Your Avatar should get a 3000mAh LiIon pack. Also the Futaba servos are not so thursty.

Anyway the charger looks a little bit oversized just for receiver batteries...

Cheers

• Like 1

Greg Dakin

All fair points Daniel, but MKS HV servos are thirsty beasts - especially when they're pulling amps in a high speed scaley. I have 3800mah Nihms (Sub-C) and depleted almost 50% of their capacity in 2 x 30 min flights.

Delighted to hear that you've catered appropriately for the Avatar ☺

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg,

you are using Nimh for HV servos!? You can get LiIon cells (size 26650) with 5200mAh. With a second pack for redundancy you can have a combined capacity of 10 000 mAh. Should be plenty of power even for MKS HV and your 600km/h passes :D

Greg Dakin

Yes, I've been a little nervous about installing li-po cells into my models Daniel, hence staying with a 'conventional' set-up. 

That said, my Discus will feature an HV installation, and I may choose to follow suit with the Salto if all works out well - Baudis has future proofed the airframe and loaded it with MKS / Futaba HVs. 

I'm looking forward to trying your HV set-up in my Avatar too - though slightly fearful that my reaction times may not be up to handling such fast, torquey servos in a 500gm wing!!!!

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1