Bartletts 200m. 12th. June.

Eddy Small

Just found out what caused my last radio problem (faulty altimeter switch, a known to be faulty unit, which is now in the bin, exactly where it should have been 4 years ago) - I am a right Berk - so 2.4GHz it is!

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Forecast is still dry for Saturday:frantics:.

But the chance of rain on Sunday is now forecast lower, so in the interest of giving all pilots a competition I will go for SUNDAY.

We should be OK until early afternoon when there is a 40% chance the rain could start. That means 60% chance it wont rain!

We should get at least 4 rounds in the morning if we don't hang about. Anything after that will be a bonus.

Please don't blame me too much if it all goes wrong:sweat:

See you Sunday

Sunday.png

• Like 4

Peter great see you Sunday had forgotten it might be tomorrow so would probably have missed it as I have nothing ready yet:D

I've just decided not to go. Good luck hope weather better than forecast.

Cheers

Ian

I know what a problem it is running events as to the weather,having cancelled several over the past 8 years. The change to using the Saturday or Sunday, should have reduced the chances of it being cancelled by 50% Think that losing 3 flyers at this time of the year(with holidays etc) is the norm any way, but it should be taken into account how far some travel.

I had followed the weather for the weekend and thought the Saturday would be the better day and so it proved with the rain not coming till 4.30pm

Pete,

As CD you made a decision (not all can do that within a declared time limit) and that's fine and respected by me.

Weather sucks!

• Like 2

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

As I said previously, 

Please don't blame me too much if it all goes wrong:(

I should have stuck to my first decision, but trying to ensure max fun for max numbers got in the way, Wont happen again.

Despite the weather , it was good that so many decided to take the same chance and turned in the hope that we could get a comp.

Reminded me of the 'old days' when we would travel almost any distance, whatever the forecast (on the TV) because we all knew it was impossible  for the forecasters accurate every where every time.

As to the comp, well it started in good sunshine, which vanished at the sound of the first slot start. It rained a bit, we flew a few slots, nearly got 2 rounds completed when rain stopped play.

So, no league points but here are the results which I have finally been able to imput into the score prog. after waiting for the paper score sheets to dry out.

BartlettsCancelled.png

Something that I have learned to appreciate this year, is that the choice of weekend days for a competition is a double edged sword.

For it to work properly, all of the entrants need to be able to commit to both days. Whereas this did not used to be a problem for me, this year there are family pressures the likes of which I have never encountered before. Previously, I would have been pretty much available on either both days, or neither, so never saw that there was likely to be a problem.

It is now impossible for me to say to my family that I will be flying on either the Saturday, or the Sunday, with just a couple of days notice. I am lucky to get the freedom to still be able to commit to flying one day or the other a week in advance, but I can no longer deny the other members of my family my commitment to be available on a nominated day at the weekend, a week, or so, in advance.  

A keen advocate of the "Either Day" system, previously, this has been a shock to me.

Peter I enjoyed the day anyway so thanks the conditions were quite interesting and I think we made the best of it my gliders were dry by the time I got home. I am rooting for the Sat 16th for the next one as I have to go to an afternoon BBQ on Sun 17th the only saving grace is the free beer. Cheers

• Like 1