BMFA F3K League 11 June Malvern

TonyHickson

TonyHickson

BMFA F3K League 11 June Malvern. At the Malvern Soaring Association field in Upton on Severn. PM me or post here to enter with name, freq and BMFA number. Deadline for entries 1800 10 June. I will make a call on the weather 1200 10 June and post here. BMFA membership required. £10 on the day. First time comp. pilots very welcome. Please arrive by 0930 latest for the first round to start at 1000.

Directions to the field here.

I will open the gate under the bridge from about 0800-0930 for competitors to drive onto the field, then lock it again. It can be opened again during the day if competitors need to get in and out. Spectators are welcome, but unless they want to stay all day like competitors will need to park along the slip road just off the main road. The parking here is obvious and used by locals who come to walk the footpath around the field. Our club hosts are sensitive about vehicle access to the field, and I will be too busy flying, timing and running a comp to be back and forward all day to the gate.

Entries:

Mike Fantham

Simon Barker

Richard Swindells

Liam Hawes

Mike Stern

Mike Challinor

Tony Hickson

Tom Satinet

Darius Zibikas

Vytautas Zibikas

David P 

Edited by TonyHickson
Updated entry list

Are spectators welcome at the Malvern field?

I don't want to commit to entering but would like to possibly come along to watch and see how the day runs and meet you guys. 

Mark

6 hours ago, i_am_mark_evans said:

Are spectators welcome at the Malvern field?

I don't want to commit to entering but would like to possibly come along to watch and see how the day runs and meet you guys. 

Mark

Hi Mark,

Tony must be busy.  It will be fine if you come for a look.  You have BMFA membership and I don't see why you can't spectate.  It may well be OK for you to fly at lunch time or when the contest part of the day is over - bring your models.  I'm sure Tony will chip in if necessary.

Thanks Mike, I may throw a model in the car but mainly just wanna watch a few rounds and see how the different tasks are ran etc rather than squeezing in a flight anywhere and disrupting you guys. 

*EDIT*

Mike, i'm thinking of knocking the little meet on Sunday on the head and actually entering on the 11th, but guys, i'm super nervous and have a few questions for you guys.

Timing, who times for who? i don't have anyone to bring along to be my timer. Launch height, i'm a lousy thrower still, is this problem?. Using the f3k app on my phone, i see some tasks are last 2 flights, 4mins max etc? with 10 min window, but i can't even hit these flight times yet, not intentionally anyway. I saw one 5 min max flight which means a QT, something i can't do. Even with my Blaster more times than not i'm down in a minute. Oh not to mention i now have a rudder and first time i will have a flown with one, so it's like i'm starting all over again, not that my skills were shocking enough before.

Maybe i'm getting worried over nothing? Someone's gotta come last right, it's just i don't want to get in anyone's way or be walking off the field with 9 minutes of the window left just cause i'm THAT terrible haha, 

Mark

Sunday 5th will be the best place to ask your questions above - see you there.   Let's take any more questions to the "come and try.."  thread.

Yes, definitely go along on the 5th. It will be good, stress free experience. And then come to the contest as well. 

TonyHickson
On 3 June 2016 at 14:53, i_am_mark_evans said:

Are spectators welcome at the Malvern field? ...

Hi Mark,

As per now edited first post, spectators are indeed welcome. 

Not sure if your other questions have been answered on the have a go thread, but if you want to compete, other people will time for you and it's usual to make first time competition pilots known to everyone else at the pilots briefing to make everyone aware that you might need a bit of a hand. If you can't find a timer and the start of your slot is approaching it's customary to stand somewhere between the pits and the box with model in hand looking ready to fly and shout 'I NEED A TIMER!' And on timers, other people call them 'helpers' and that's a better description in many ways - your timer/helper will be able to help you understand what the different tasks are, you just need to be able to launch and fly your model and land it back somewhere near you.

Tony

TonyHickson

Initial post edited to say I will make a call on the weather 1200 Friday 10 June and post here. Looks promising at the mo, not that it means much at this point.

Simon Jones

Hi Tony,

I was hoping to make this one but some family priorities that have cropped up this weekend mean that I won't - sorry.

Simon J

Richard Swindells
On 03/06/2016 at 21:17, i_am_mark_evans said:

Thanks Mike, I may throw a model in the car but mainly just wanna watch a few rounds and see how the different tasks are ran etc rather than squeezing in a flight anywhere and disrupting you guys. 

*EDIT*

Mike, i'm thinking of knocking the little meet on Sunday on the head and actually entering on the 11th, but guys, i'm super nervous and have a few questions for you guys.

Timing, who times for who? i don't have anyone to bring along to be my timer. Launch height, i'm a lousy thrower still, is this problem?. Using the f3k app on my phone, i see some tasks are last 2 flights, 4mins max etc? with 10 min window, but i can't even hit these flight times yet, not intentionally anyway. I saw one 5 min max flight which means a QT, something i can't do. Even with my Blaster more times than not i'm down in a minute. Oh not to mention i now have a rudder and first time i will have a flown with one, so it's like i'm starting all over again, not that my skills were shocking enough before.

Maybe i'm getting worried over nothing? Someone's gotta come last right, it's just i don't want to get in anyone's way or be walking off the field with 9 minutes of the window left just cause i'm THAT terrible haha, 

Mark

Hi Mark,

I think reading too many forum posts can give the false impression that the majority of people at competitions are launching to 60-70m, getting maxes on every flight, nailing quick turn-arounds and nominating a 9:58 on their poker round.

The culture in the USA tends to lead some of them to be a little more vocal and overestimating their abilities.. giving off the wrong impression that competitions are won and lost on quick turnarounds etc... just take a look at the scores from any UK competition 

To begin with, we live in the UK. Maxes are a rarity. No one in the UK has ever nominated and achieved a 9:58 in poker. As far as I'm aware there are two of us who occasionally "quick-turnaround" (on the rare occasions a max is possible and there is not bad wind/turbulence)

Catching a thermal in a competition is also about 5x easier than when on your own, because there are 5 other models in the air helping point the good air out. Just wait until you see someone circling and going up and then fly towards them and start circling.. the only tasks you will need to have a vague understanding of is the ladder and poker... for the rest of them just keep launching and flying each flight for as long as you can until the slot runs out. There are no tasks where you are walking off the field after a minute, most tasks need you to keep launching until the slot is over :)

Of course there are a few good pilots who will be there.. chances are that you will beat one of them in a round, because the more experienced pilots take greater risks in order to stay in front... that can (and does) lead to a zero score when things go wrong, which is an easy score to beat!

• Like 4

That's brilliant, thanks Richard.

I do think I'm reading far too much now, especially on rc groups and building up a wrong idea how comps work, more so comps here in the UK. 

Thanks for clearing thing up =)

TonyHickson

Some bonus directions as a few people have found it tricky previously.

Google Maps satellite image view shows it very clearly. Exit the A4104 onto E(ast) Waterside. Drive to the end and turn right, heading back under the A4104 into the field. You'll end up driving along the Severn way pretty much. Please stick to driving along the track on the edge of the field. We'll park up about where the tent is on the Google maps image (shown as of 9/6/16). 

TonyHickson

About 8.15 ish. If you get there before me you can always park on East Waterside (usually space on the right) and just walk into the field.