Finished - Al Wisher Blue Beast [sorta pink]

Walter A

Just wanted to post a pic of my new RES ship for this years US NATS Nostalgia class. It had its first maiden this past Saturday and it flew OK. I had a washout/washin on the tip panels problem which I fixed. Instead of two panels I build a center section with plug in tips. Next project is a Chris Foss Phase Lift...thanks BARCs members for all your help with the build!

Wally by Golly

13327524_246136035761328_6036643220903649907_n.jpg

Edited by Walter A
typos
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, pete beadle said:

I'd love to have this "BB" turn up to ISA Nostalgia Day this year

Hi Pete

When is this?  I cant see it on the ISA website or the BARCS events calendar.

Thanks Pete

That's a possibility. Its just after I get back from holiday. The dependency will be the number of domestic chores waiting for me after being away for nearly 4 weeks... 

The only compliant model I have is my Aquila - and that will need a lot of ballast in anything more than a light breeze.. I would be more than happy to come down for it though

PS - I like the Pink..

Martyn And Pete,

Thanks folks for the votes of kindness color wise. The underside of the platform is black and easy to see at 800-1000 meters an 1 km in distance.  I fly a lot of XC and the pink is so easy to find in the cloud base which is why I chose it.  I love the member pictures of all the older nostalgia designs. I am looking for a pre 1980 Nostalgia design with ailerons and flaps. I will probably build the Phase Lift next as it fits the bill but I am always looking! What is the name of the model from the picture above with the radical wing sweep on the right side of the bunch? I also like that V-Tail on the left. Do they have names?

Wally by Golly

19 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Martyn

Consider yourself invited

I'm sure the thought of a day out flying an Aquila as a goal, will enable you to "fly" through your chores in time:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Thanks Pete

Not sure I'll make it for reasons outlined (I have a job to do as well), but its in my diary. Being a Saturday is good, it means I can come down and camp overnight rather than have to worry about rushing home

pete , can you tell me what the forth glider from the left is ? it has both red covered wings and tail plane, also the furthest right at the back , Im considering building either a sagitta 900 ( I have the plans ) or a centiphase next , ho hum what way to go .......... 

chears  dave  

thanks pete , yes the one with the guy kneeling is correct , its a nice looking model , think it should go on my list 

dave 

If anyone would like to build a classic thermal soarer, I have spare copies of Aquila and Aquila Grande plans (one copy of each). Free to a good home, but you MUST build the model (soon) if you claim a plan. Please don't claim just to hoard the plan - i.e. add the model to your bucket list for a possible build sometime in the distant future.

Both plans are new unused but folded and IIRC, several sheets each including instructions and notes. I would like to see them used.. 

PM me if interested.

Folks,

Thanks for all the kind comments, I sincerely appreciate them! It is nice to know we all share the same passion for the oldies regardless of which side of the pond we live on! A really quick question on the Phase lift...is there any dihedral in the wings at all? In looking at the plans it looks like the wing sets are flat, except for washout at the tips. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Wally

Many thanks Martyn. Off we go to build it then...it will be nice to have another UK design on this side of the pond!

• 2 months later...

Well Folks the Blue Beast performed marvelously the first flight at the NATS! I made my time and was in for the landing circle. It was the fastest Nostalgia plane there and it really could over some sky! That was the upside. The downside was I folded the wing on another launch as I had built the spar box wrong. Alas I got six seconds out of it before impact! I am definitely going to build another one...in pink.

3 hours ago, Walter A said:

Well Folks the Blue Beast performed marvelously the first flight at the NATS! I made my time and was in for the landing circle. It was the fastest Nostalgia plane there and it really could over some sky! That was the upside. The downside was I folded the wing on another launch as I had built the spar box wrong. Alas I got six seconds out of it before impact! I am definitely going to build another one...in pink.

Are you sure it was the spar box Walter? Doesn't a little doubt cross your mind that the Beast may have committed suicide because it knew in its heart of hearts that it was really blue?

• Like 1

Alas, I have never met Al Wisher and I heard he was a great gentleman. He probably would not have been to happy that it was covered in "Save the Ta-Ta's" colour but it flew well for its short life. The great Larry Jolly inspected what was left in the Flamingo graveyard and pronounced the spar box was definitely built wrong. It needed the leading edge spar doubler taken out another two ribs or so which would have helped tremendously. I will build another as it really flew great. Now on to a Chris Foss Phase Lift...