9th Mosquito 14 Day Challenge

Tony Beckett

Tony Beckett

Phil Carter won the 8th Mosquito Challenge.

Any takers for the 9th?

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

• Like 1

I went out with the Vela for an afternoon session - absolutely perfect conditions, wind 3-5 with really nice lift. Specked out on the third launch, headed off looking for more lift upwind and found it but got a bit low and so down for a 6:57. I then got a nice 6:19.

Lift was reliable low down and relatively easy to work - but the thermals were long lived and fairly spaced so I decided to stick with it next time I got away and got some serious height. After a while I started looking again but finally ran out of steam at 14:41.

Somebody really ought to beat this today as the conditions were fantastic, but I was out of time and heading home by 3pm.

Jon Whitmore

Vela, 14:41, 09/06/16

After a disastrous lunch session with my hobbyking V2 losing signal & spiralling to its death! I was determined to get home later & fly the elf.

Got out at around 4:20 and still lots of smooth air & lift about!

Could feel the infill was few & far between & sun still hot

After a few 2-4 min flights managed to stick with with one that specked me out and then tracked back overhead & caught a second to similar height. 

Touched down at 16:39, sorry j but you where right :/

Went again and got a 14:10 but couldn't better it.

Personnal best for me.

Phil Carter, Elf, 9/6/16, 16:39

• Like 1

Elf. 3 minutes 17s. meh, I'm a new comer ;-)

Maybe crap, but it felt great as I know my dead air time is about 45s. Best model I ever bought and owes me nothing - great way to wind down after work. There's something about circling up with the birds that makes you feel so smug...

16 minutes is simply awesome Phil!

• Like 2

Thanks Ribs!

Thats a good time, keep flinging it, you'll soon be reading where the lift is & how your model reacts to it. 

Totally agree with you...fantastic model to wind down with. I had a large flock of pigeons circling & swooping around with the elf today, first time I've had that. 

Keep posting your times, nice to know there's a few of us flying these great models! 

Tony Beckett

Off to a good start Phil....

Pleased to include Ribs post as it was a first for him, be longer next time.

Tony

aatimes.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Tony Beckett

Phil wins the 9th Mosquito Challenge of the Year, that is two in a row, can he make it a hat trick?

Tony

• Like 1